Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Would really like for us to somehow get another 2nd or a least a 3rd rounder. Its pretty bare after our two 2nds (4,6,7,7)

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Yeah I love the this time of year. Used to be in accounting and had time to armchair scout a good number of the top ~75 names. No longer have the time but I wish I still could.

For whatever reason I enjoy the draft and prospect stuff way way more in the NHL vs other sports. I think because of how hard it is to get right and how long it takes to come to fruition. Makes it very satisfying to draft and develop well.

NHL drafts are the sweet spot between the instant impact of the NFL/NBA prospects and the slow burn of MLB prospects.

You can get a guy who is ready at 18 like Celebrini, or a guy who might play two years in the USHL, then four in the NCAA and then the AHL.

It is fascinating stuff. Plus, there are so many leagues and countries where these guys come from, so it truly is one massive crapshoot.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Most of the high profile Czech prospects aren't playing in the Extraliga. It's not been a really good development league for the NHL for a while. Instead, most of the really promising Czechs are developing in the SHL, or in the Canadian Juniors. So, Jágr likely doesn't have any more insight there than anyone else.

Still kind of wish we'd take a flyer on Ticháček, but my guess is the organization told Jágr they don't have the space for him, or Jarda wants more money to facilitate the deal than they want to pay.

Interesting stuff, HL. He is 21, so we could still draft and stash him. In fact, I would be surprised if we did not draft a player like this.

Would really like for us to somehow get another 2nd or a least a 3rd rounder. Its pretty bare after our two 2nds (4,6,7,7)

Agreed. I think even Dubas agrees. A Reilly Smith trade or Tristan Jarry trade should help this situation. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Interesting stuff, HL. He is 21, so we could still draft and stash him. In fact, I would be surprised if we did not draft a player like this.

Agreed. I think even Dubas agrees. A Reilly Smith trade or Tristan Jarry trade should help this situation. Fingers crossed.
Yeah, Jágr brought him over to the Pens a few months ago during the jersey retirement IIRC. All the newspapers here were speculating that it meant we're going to sign him, but then it all just vanished overnight.

He's the kind of player Sullivan would absolutely hate, though, and it's hard to tell if he's the product of an abysmal Kladno team or how he'd adjust to the NHL, but honestly, for an undrafted free agent, why not?

Reactions: Jag68Sid87

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Tichacek is ranked on some draft lists so maybe he has to be drafted and isn’t a UFA? He’s the same age Simon was when we drafted him.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
Tichacek is ranked on some draft lists so maybe he has to be drafted and isn’t a UFA? He’s the same age Simon was when we drafted him.
Correct. Still draft eligible as he is a European skater and doesn’t turn 22 until Jan, 2025.

I think he could still have signed somewhere this season if he wanted/ it was offered as he has been in the draft 3 times, and probably will end up signing instead of someone drafting him for his rights because of his age.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Correct. Still draft eligible as he is a European skater and doesn’t turn 22 until Jan, 2025.

I think he could still have signed somewhere this season if he wanted/ it was offered as he has been in the draft 3 times, and probably will end up signing instead of someone drafting him for his rights because of his age.
Yeah, I don't necessarily think anyone's gonna go off the board for him, but I'd be shocked if he wasn't signed by someone before the end of September.

Reactions: lokomotiv15

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
Yeah, I don't necessarily think anyone's gonna go off the board for him, but I'd be shocked if he wasn't signed by someone before the end of September.
Agreed. Most I could see is a 7th round flier on him because he’s proven he can put up numbers in a men’s league. Might be more attractive to some teams than whatever else is left at spot 200+.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
There was some speculation here in Czech circles that he was asking for more than a typical ELC would allow for, so I'm not sure he would sign if drafted. I got the distinct impression that he would like to come over as a UFA otherwise he'll stay and be the star of a bad Kladno team for more money.

Nothing more than a rumor mind you. But it did get me thinking.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
There was some speculation here in Czech circles that he was asking for more than a typical ELC would allow for, so I'm not sure he would sign if drafted. I got the distinct impression that he would like to come over as a UFA otherwise he'll stay and be the star of a bad Kladno team for more money.

Nothing more than a rumor mind you. But it did get me thinking.
Strange he wasn’t on the WC team. Or was he hurt?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
So, for you Dean Letourneau fans:

- he was on a Habs podcast, interviewed. Seems like a very personable guy.

- said his favorite team growing up was Pittsburgh, because of Crosby (take a number, kid!) He said he is not a "HUGE" Penguins fan (obviously, he is on a Habs podcast).

- said three teams have shown more interest in him than the others: Montreal; Utah and Dallas.

- said he was supposed to go to the USHL for one season, then Boston College. However, after Will Smith signed with the Sharks, the BC coach offered him a spot to go straight to the NCAA in 2024-25, and he took it.

- said he played at 6-6, 209 pounds this season. He is now 215, and he has grown a half-inch since the start of '23-24.

That is all I have. Lots of rumors that the Habs will pick him at 26.

Reactions: Jacob

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Strange he wasn’t on the WC team. Or was he hurt?
The WC team had a lot of controversy with its roster. They won in the end which means people will forget about it (or already have forgotten it), but it was a subject of much conversation here before the tournament started. For the most part, a lot of people were grousing that the team selected vets, mostly. I didn't hear if he was injured or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was, or if he was just considered too young and not experienced enough.

Also I'm not sure the association with Jágr and Kladno helped him much. Kladno is an absolutely wretched team (like worse than Gen X Pens bad) so I think there's a perception that Ticháček is a decent player who's made to look elite by the absolutely horrible state of the squad. I don't know if that's true or not, I don't really follow Kladno.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
He’s not *that** great of a skater so hard to say how good he’ll be in the NHL. but McGroarty is exactly the type of swing this team should take. If he hits he’ll be a fan favorite, long term Penguin type.

Epic Neal Time

Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Scott Wheeler's latest mock is out at The Athletic:

NHL Mock Draft: Scott Wheeler's final predictions for the first two rounds

44. Pittsburgh Penguins: Terik Parascak, RW, Prince George Cougars

Just as I couldn’t see the USHL’s leading scorer lasting much longer, I don’t think the 105-point man out of the WHL will either. Parascak’s smarts, unique path and potential for growth in the gym all made me think of the type of players Kyle Dubas has liked to invest in in the past as well.

46. Pittsburgh Penguins: Jesse Pulkkinen, LHD, JYP

Pulkkinen’s going to be the first overager picked, he’s going to be a second-rounder, and he’s another player I could see Dubas (who hasn’t shied away from taking overagers) and his group wanting to get their hands on and work with.

Notable names available after the Penguins' picks: Teddy Stiga, John Mustard, Adam Jecho, Ben Danford, Cole Hutson, Tanner Howe

I would be psyched to get Parascak. I'd also be a little miffed at going with Pulkkinen over the higher upside plays in Hutson, Mustard, and Stiga but I like Pulkkinen enough.

Reactions: Andy99

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
A little off topic but I didn’t realize until reading earlier posts that Yager our top prospect isn’t even signed…. Is this Dubas playing the long game and waiting for the ELC to kick in closer to when he’s ready to play for the big club or is this us not able to sign a guy and he’ll go back into the draft again to sign with a different club.

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
A little off topic but I didn’t realize until reading earlier posts that Yager our top prospect isn’t even signed…. Is this Dubas playing the long game and waiting for the ELC to kick in closer to when he’s ready to play for the big club or is this us not able to sign a guy and he’ll go back into the draft again to sign with a different club.
I guess it´s rather the former. Which makes a lot of sense

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Exactly….makes no sense why he’s not signed unless he doesn’t want to sign, or is unsure….
Sometimes prospects don't sign right away. What's the rush?

There's zero reason to think there's any issue here. There are enough actual problems with the team without having to dream them up.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I wasn’t aware he was unsigned was what I was bringing up I’m not sure of the requirements but what are the protocols for a player to “reenter the draft”?

My only concern would be the penguins are unable to sign him and he goes back into the draft and they miss out on a potentially good player.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I wasn’t aware he was unsigned was what I was bringing up I’m not sure of the requirements but what are the protocols for a player to “reenter the draft”?

My only concern would be the penguins are unable to sign him and he goes back into the draft and they miss out on a potentially good player.
He’d re-enter next year’s draft if unsigned by some time late next year, not sure when. But if he’s not signed the Penguins would get a compensatory pick, but it’s like a late 2nd. Colorado had a 1st round pick they opted to not sign recently because he ended up not being very good in his 2 post-draft seasons and they decided the compensatory pick was worth more.

It wouldn’t really benefit his side to not sign. ELCs aren’t super negotiable and his signing and other bonuses are dictated by where he was drafted. So if he re-entered he might not go higher and may even get picked lower, which lowers his ELC bonuses, and you’re also not guaranteed to go to a city you want to go to (if by chance he just doesn’t like Pittsburgh).

Could be they’ve just agreed in principle but haven’t met yet but I’d say the time to get it done would be in prospect camp or training camp.

-edit-

It was Connor Bleackley. It wasn’t a negotiation issue, he just wasn’t very good. They traded his rights to the Yotes who didn’t sign him and got a 2nd round pick. Re-entered and went in the 5th round.

Last edited:

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Ah thanks for clearing that up so hopefully something can get done with him then otherwise it sounds like it’ll be a a Cutter Gauthier situation.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Ah thanks for clearing that up so hopefully something can get done with him then otherwise it sounds like it’ll be a a Cutter Gauthier situation.
I brought this matter up a couple months ago. No good reason he shouldn't have signed by now. Why are we waiting? There's no good reason as to why we should put this off any longer.

One positive, he will be coming to the development camp in early July.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He’d re-enter next year’s draft if unsigned by some time late next year, not sure when. But if he’s not signed the Penguins would get a compensatory pick, but it’s like a late 2nd. Colorado had a 1st round pick they opted to not sign recently because he ended up not being very good in his 2 post-draft seasons and they decided the compensatory pick was worth more.

It wouldn’t really benefit his side to not sign. ELCs aren’t super negotiable and his signing and other bonuses are dictated by where he was drafted. So if he re-entered he might not go higher and may even get picked lower, which lowers his ELC bonuses, and you’re also not guaranteed to go to a city you want to go to (if by chance he just doesn’t like Pittsburgh).

Could be they’ve just agreed in principle but haven’t met yet but I’d say the time to get it done would be in prospect camp or training camp.

-edit-

It was Connor Bleackley. It wasn’t a negotiation issue, he just wasn’t very good. They traded his rights to the Yotes who didn’t sign him and got a 2nd round pick. Re-entered and went in the 5th round.

It needs to get done period! No good reason to drag this out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad