Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Because the Penguins' prospect pool is so irrelevant and unexciting that their profile piece just gets phoned in.
Either that or we only had nine actual prospects and so they had to throw someone who used to play here in at #10…lol

Because he's still a prospect and the Penguins have his rights.
Yes, but not really…it says we have no else worth talking about at #10

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Also did that article actually say "we have no one else to talk about at 10" or are people taking a comment in jest here to be what the actual article said?

The article itself is paywalled so someone with a subscription would actually need to look at that.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
We're just joking Captain Killjoy.

I have to imagine it was just an oversight stemming from not being all that jazzed to look too deep into the Penguins prospect pool and the finer details therein.

It WOULD be hilarious if someone actually had a look and that's what it really said, though lol

• Haha
Reactions: Gurglesons

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
We're just joking Captain Killjoy.

I have to imagine it was just an oversight stemming from not being all that jazzed to look too deep into the Penguins prospect pool and the finer details therein.

It WOULD be hilarious if someone actually had a look and that's what it really said, though lol

The list at the beginning of the year also included Hallander (all the way at #5) while noting he's playing in Sweden going forward. I don't think it's an oversight, they just seem to like him (or like him more than everyone else) as a prospect.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The list at the beginning of the year also included Hallander (all the way at #5) while noting he's playing in Sweden going forward. I don't think it's an oversight, they just seem to like him (or like him more than everyone else) as a prospect.

Geez. I dunno if I'd call that bias towards that player or simply a matter of over-ranking due to a lack of viable options haha

I get on the Jake trade a little here and there but maybe quantity really did have some merit considering the prospect pool prior to this season was about as deep as a puddle.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The bigger point of contention I'd have with that article is why Hallander is in the top-10 and Murashov isn't.

Well that's just wrong.
Yep, where’s Murashov or Tankov…it’s silly to put Hallander on that list, and he’s not top 10 either…

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Geez. I dunno if I'd call that bias towards that player or simply a matter of over-ranking due to a lack of viable options haha

I get on the Jake trade a little here and there but maybe quantity really did have some merit considering the prospect pool prior to this season was about as deep as a puddle.

Yeah they were 31st at the start of the year according to McKeen's and are now at 23rd. They went from awful to bad with the move, which is still an improvement.

This was the report from October 2023:

Their pool was horrendous. Poulin was #3, Hallander was #5 and Lindberg was #8.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah they were 31st at the start of the year according to McKeen's and are now at 23rd. They went from awful to bad with the move, which is still an improvement.

This was the report from October 2023:

Their pool was horrendous. Poulin was #3, Hallander was #5 and Lindberg was #8.

lol I don't hate the guy as a potential full time fourth line player at some point but Jonathan Gruden making the top ten should really drive the point home.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I've always kinda wondered like... Best Player Available according to who? They don't go by any consensus list I'm aware of. So if it's BPA according to the Penguins scouting dept. and their like .150 batting average the last ten years or whatever then woof.
It's BPA according to your team's staff.

Yes, if your scouting department sucks, that doesn't help.

But I will note that the Penguins seem to have figured it out the last few years. Rutherford drafted Blomqvist and Clang in his last draft. Hextall drafted Broz and Tankov, then Pickering and Murashov (even Zam Plante might be a diamond in the rough), while Dubas added Yager, Ilyin and Pieniniemi.

Poulin is probably the only prospect on the Pens' actual top ten list who was not brought in during the last three years.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

But I will note that the Penguins seem to have figured it out the last few years. Rutherford drafted Blomqvist and Clang in his last draft. Hextall drafted Broz and Tankov, then Pickering and Murashov (even Zam Plante might be a diamond in the rough), while Dubas added Yager, Ilyin and Pieniniemi.

Poulin is probably the only prospect on the Pens' actual top ten list who was not brought in during the last three years.

Yeah... so... uh... those guys are solidly in "show me" territory at this point.

But hopefully you're right. This team is far past due when it comes to some success re: drafting. Even if that's only one part of the process and I think development is even MORE suspect, frankly.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think my point of posting that link and calling out Hallander is people use website's like McKeen's to defend Koivunen's addition and how he is very well thought of as a prospect.

I think it's important to also reference these types of sites are the same one's that said Hallander was an absolute stud and a huge part of why we lost the initial Kapanen trade.

Maybe we need to look at the forest a little bit.

Figured out what? We've got 59 NHL games out of our last 5 draft at this point and that's from 2 players.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think my point of posting that link and calling out Hallander is people use website's like McKeen's to defend Koivunen's addition and how he is very well thought of as a prospect.

I think it's important to also reference these types of sites are the same one's that said Hallander was an absolute stud and a huge part of why we lost the initial Kapanen trade.

Maybe we need to look at the forest a little bit.

I mean, they did absolutely lose the initial Kapanen trade.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I mean, they did absolutely lose the initial Kapanen trade.

Not really. But, no need to argue that one again.

Just for kicks.

Here's you defending the Kapanen trade the moment it was made.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Trading Kapanen back and forth with multiple assets going with him in the process including a first round pick only to extend him for way-too-much and ultimately stick him on waivers to go bye-bye for absolutely nothing is an object lesson is why we should never miss Jim Rutherford or Ron Hextall too much. If at all.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Trading Kapanen back and forth with multiple assets going with him in the process including a first round pick only to extend him for way-too-much and ultimately stick him on waivers to go bye-bye for absolutely nothing is an object lesson is why we should never miss Jim Rutherford or Ron Hextall too much. If at all.

The value we gave up in the Kapanen trade was a mid 1st round pick and a nothing prospect for a contract controlled 23 year old who maybe could hit 20 and 20.

It's pretty much exactly like the Guentzel trade. You are giving up nothing pieces for a roster improvement.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The value we gave up in the Kapanen trade was a mid 1st round pick and a nothing prospect for a contract controlled 23 year old who maybe could hit 20 and 20.

It's pretty much exactly like the Guentzel trade. You are giving up nothing pieces for a roster improvement.

But it didn't work out that way. And I defended Kap at times based on his early work, here. Not to mention what he did for Toronto before that.

We could argue with more than a little validity that he wasn't put in the best positions to succeed in Pittsburgh (a tale that keeps being told). But in the end JR had a thing for flipping first rounders for mediocre to bad players. You win some you lose some and JR is a gambler. But he was on a skid his last few years here.

I don't put a lot of stock in late firsts. But GMs seem to attach value to them oftentimes. So you'd of course prefer to get more than we've gotten over the years. Signing him to a questionable contract only to lose him for nothing at all was a nice little shit-cherry on top of the sundae, too.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
But it didn't work out that way. And I defended Kap at times based on his early work, here. Not to mention what he did for Toronto before that.

I hate valuing trades on "how they worked out".

To me, you judge a trade based on value, much like a draft pick. I don't criticize Philadelphia for taking Nolan Patrick when Nolan Patrick was widely viewed as the BPA.

Overall, I think it's fair to criticize Rutherford for his lack of focusing assets on actual difference makers versus players like Zucker, Kapanen, Brassard etc. But, overall most of his trades were "fair value" with some small sweetners added because he's a nice old guy.

It's the similar approach I have with Hextall. Most of his trades outside of the Granlund trade weren't really franchise wreckers and even Granlund was just an overpayment for a redundant player here. Most of Hextall's draft isn't really egregious either.

Hextall's contracts were a mixed bag. But mostly what was his negative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad