Confirmed Trade: [PIT/WPG] Rutger McGroarty for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bond

May 10, 2012
Right, and Yager was obviously the best player offered

I just think they could've gotten it done for less, would guess a Pickering + probably matches other offers for example

But they obviously wanted him, so will take a wait and see approach
If they could have got it done for less they would have. The Pens wouldn’t do the Jets a favour because they feel bad.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Pickering would’ve be a poor centerpiece of a return. Echo the comments about that not cutting it in any shape or form.

McG is a beast and a guy that can be part of a winning playoff team someday. Yager is very talented. Fair trade…but love McGroarty’s fit in Pittsburgh especially.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Chevy did quite well in this trade - hard to imagine a better return given McGroarty's trade demand.

That being said, IIRC according to Friedman - this whole trade demand was put into motion when Chevy decided against signing McGroarty in April after Michigan's season ending either because the Jets were in a playoff push and didn't want to bring him in and/or burn a year of his ELC.

I think most would also argue that McGroarty has more trade value currently than Yager.

Chevy seemed to put himself in this unenviable position, even if he made the best out of it.
We'll likely never know, but I'd also heard/read that it was more an issue of the Jets not guaranteeing him a roster spot on 2024/25. Given how they like to develop guys, it would have been much more likely that he played the season in the AHL.

Jets did play Lambert and Chibrikov in their first NHL games in the season finale, and they've done similarly with college guys in years past (Andrew Copp, for example). So maybe not about burning the year, more about NOT wanting to play in the AHL vs. staying at Michigan.

Both things could be true, I guess.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Chevy did well for the Jets here.

Dubas baffles me, you have a team under the gun and know that Mcgroaty isn't going to play for the Jets, and you still swap your top prospect for him? Feels like they could have squeezed them.

Trying to "squeeze" in negotiations on a player who is clearly highly coveted is how you end up missing out completely.

It's not very often the team who gets the better prospect/player is deemed a loser. I find most of these takes weird.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Right, and Yager was obviously the best player offered

I just think they could've gotten it done for less, would guess a Pickering + probably matches other offers for example

But they obviously wanted him, so will take a wait and see approach
What I am saying is totally speculation in that there were more teams involved, but also speculation in saying he could have been had for Pickering+.

Never truly know what the Jets thoughts were. They could have straight up not liked Pickering as a player or the package presented (if one even was).

Reactions: StIvany4Norris

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Dubas baffles me, you have a team under the gun and know that Mcgroaty isn't going to play for the Jets, and you still swap your top prospect for him? Feels like they could have squeezed them.

I mean, this is the same guy that had Nylander down to the 11th hour while Toronto was a Top 3 offensive team, caved under the pressure, and signed him to more money than MacKinnon/Barkov/Larkin/Ehlers had gotten before him.

He's not exactly a master negotiator haha.

Reactions: hn777

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
It's a fair deal in a bubble but the lack of leverage for Winnipeg makes this a poor showing for Dubas

As others said, Pittsburgh wasn't the only team kicking the tires. This wasn't quite the same as say Adam Fox or Tim Erixon forcing a trade to only one team.

Closer examples might be Cutter Gauthier or Jack Johnson way back in the day.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lol at Pens fans thinking they were going to get McGroarty without giving up Yager.

Yeah it's either Yager or a 2025 1st, those were the only things the Penguins had that could have convinced the Jets to move McGroaty.

Trying to "squeeze" in negotiations on a player who is clearly highly coveted is how you end up missing out completely.

It's not very often the team who gets the better prospect/player is deemed a loser. I find most of these takes weird.

Exactly, the Penguins got a prospect upgrade for free but people are still calling them losers for some reason. It makes no sense.

The Jets got a great return for a guy who didn't want to be there and the Penguins got a free prospect upgrade that is also more NHL ready. How is that anything but a win-win for both sides?

StIvany4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
As others said, Pittsburgh wasn't the only team kicking the tires. This wasn't quite the same as say Adam Fox or Tim Erixon forcing a trade to only one team.

Closer examples might be Cutter Gauthier or Jack Johnson way back in the day.
Right, just hard to tell without knowing the other offers

Yager was obviously the best return, but you have to wonder about the runner up here

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Brandon Yager was a quality centre prospect. Bad trade for the Penguins to move him for a winger, especially with Crosby & Malkin getting up there in age.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I mean it Rutger can come in and play 1LW (where I would expect him to start) and replicate 50 - 75% of Guentzel, I would be ecstatic.

Also young, ranked around 30-40 in prospect rankings (higher than Yager), and is ready now (I think being ready now is a MASSIVE part of this)….

It all plays into the thought process. End of day, I am happy with the deal. A much better scenario than this team playing well the first part of the year and doing something idiotic like trading him away for a rental at the deadline.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Chevy is a goat. Being GM on the Jets would be very challenging due to certain players not wanting to play there. He’s managed to make the most of it.

Yeah I like both Chevaldayoff and Hughes the most out of the Canadian GM’s

Reactions: McDrai

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad