Confirmed Trade: [PIT/WPG] Rutger McGroarty for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Classic Dubas

It’s announced he signed or acquired someone…a bunch of people get excited and want to jump in to tell you how good he actually is. Then we see the cost and everyone else gets to laugh.

Stop believing in him. If he didn’t inherit it…he didn’t do anything.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Penguins fans say they won the trade in a landslide, Peg fans say they won the trade in a landslide. Time will tell. The broader story, imo, is an American player successfully forcing their way out of the Peg before eve playing there.
No Jets fans are saying that

We're all saying that we hate losing Rutger but we're happy with the return under the circunstance

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Pens also get McGroarty for a full 3 seasons on his ELC, correct?

Has to be an added benefit for Pittsburgh as they go all-in these last few seasons with this core.

Reactions: Buffdog

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Penguins fans say they won the trade in a landslide, Peg fans say they won the trade in a landslide. Time will tell. The broader story, imo, is an American player successfully forcing their way out of the Peg before eve playing there.
How can any fanbase say they've won a trade in a landslide when neither player has ever played a game in the NHL? This place sometimes. :laugh:

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
what? neither fan base have said they won this trade in a landslide... what a weird way to move the goal posts

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Right, just hard to tell without knowing the other offers

Yager was obviously the best return, but you have to wonder about the runner up here

There were rumblings at the draft that something was close involving a 1st rounder but it fell through. I think one rumor was Minnesota (#13) but they pivoted when Zeev Buium unexpectedly dropped.

I'd have to check if any legitimate reporters mentioned it, but McGroarty was apparently in Vegas for the draft possibly with the expectation that he'd be moved. I talked with a fan in the lobby after the first round and she showed me a pic she took with McGroarty; I only got a quick glance but it looked like him.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
They just did!
giphy.gif

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Interesting trade...
Is McGroarty ready to play now? That may be a good enough reason as any to do this.

Regardless of Yager's abilities, there was concern for his size. McGroarty seems physically more mature.

As far as talent goes I have no clue. This is probably a good deal for both teams...

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I just find this thread funny because it's a bunch of Penguins fans and Jets fans mostly happy about the deal, then a bunch of Leafs fans saying how bad it is for the Penguins and saying how bad Dubas is.

Leafs fan here.

It's a solid deal for both teams. Dubas traded for who is likely the better player, and will be ready to contribute sooner, if not now... and likely compliments their roster better. They are in the win for as long as they have Sid and Geno mode.. so it fits for them.

For the Jets, that's a great return for the situation they were in.

FWIW, most Leafs fans on the Leafs board feel this is a win/win for both teams... I haven't really looked through this thread to see which Leafs fans are obsessed with Dubas here.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Makes sense for Pittsburgh, they needed to get some youth and depth in the NHL and McGroarty is ready to make it.

I think McGroarty's game will translate better to the NHL level too, but I'm no prospect expert so who knows.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I just find this thread funny because it's a bunch of Penguins fans and Jets fans mostly happy about the deal, then a bunch of Leafs fans saying how bad it is for the Penguins and saying how bad Dubas is.
Yea the hate on for Dubas is bizarre. He basically traded a lower ranked prospect, further away from the NHL for a higher ranked one that is likely to play this season. He did well. Chevy also did well parlaying a player that didn’t want to be there into another young player that will likely be very happy there. Dubas was never getting Rutger for pennies on the dollar.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Pittsburgh, where prospects go to die... In the last 10 years do the Penguins have any draft picks or acquired prospects that had a good career in the NHL? 2013 was probably the last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad