Confirmed Trade: [PIT/WPG] Rutger McGroarty for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
well NCAA hockey is a head count sport. So their scholarships are monitored like a pie for instance, so you slice the pie as there is only so much to go around.

NIL is about using one likeness to make money, and the money just isnt there to justify $600k. The point of NIL is for it to be public so the whole premise makes zero sense of what that claim is.
I meant $150k worth of scholarship/living expenses over a 4 year timespan. So maybe bump that to $160k for 4 years, or around $40k per year for tuition/room/meal/spending.

Then again it's been years since I was in university and have no clue if that's way too little for tuition and room and board nowadays.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I meant $150k worth of scholarship/living expenses over a 4 year timespan. So maybe bump that to $160k for 4 years, or around $40k per year for tuition/room/meal/spending.

Then again it's been years since I was in university and have no clue if that's way too little for tuition and room and board nowadays.

Yeah for the scholarships I’m not privy to who has what.

I’m just addressing that tweet of NIL deals for college hockey players like McGroarty staying in college is complete BS. $600k for essentially private NIL deals makes no sense. The purpose is for them to be public because they are advertising your brand.
Like shadiur sanders having NIL deals with google, ford, and beats.

College hockey is not that popular

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Happy with the trade, it's as close to a fair 1 for 1 as you could hope for for the Jets. I'm just happy it's over.
Mcgroarty definitely pulled the wool over our eyes, which made this situation so frustrating from a Jets perspective. Last Dev camp, he was center of attention and appeared to be loving it, He was being hailed a future captain. His public comments, both at dev camp and throughout the year made it seem like he was excited and proud to be a Jet. Players not wanting to play in Winnipeg is already a sensitive issue, so this was a giant slap in the face. I can understand not wanting to play in Winnipeg, but the way he went about it was bullshit from my perspective, the kid deserves an academy award.
I think he's going to have a great career and was very excited for him to join the Jets. Brings a more rare skillset than most prospects bring and seems like the kind of player that you want in the playoffs. I think the Penguins are going to love him. He appeared to have a lot of charisma and leadership qualities in spades, but I question that now. I'm salty, i'll admit it, the petty part of me wants him to bust, but I think he's too good for that to happen.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Happy with the trade, it's as close to a fair 1 for 1 as you could hope for for the Jets. I'm just happy it's over.
Mcgroarty definitely pulled the wool over our eyes, which made this situation so frustrating from a Jets perspective. Last Dev camp, he was center of attention and appeared to be loving it, He was being hailed a future captain. His public comments, both at dev camp and throughout the year made it seem like he was excited and proud to be a Jet. Players not wanting to play in Winnipeg is already a sensitive issue, so this was a giant slap in the face. I can understand not wanting to play in Winnipeg, but the way he went about it was bullshit from my perspective, the kid deserves an academy award.
I think he's going to have a great career and was very excited for him to join the Jets. Brings a more rare skillset than most prospects bring and seems like the kind of player that you want in the playoffs. I think the Penguins are going to love him. He appeared to have a lot of charisma and leadership qualities in spades, but I question that now. I'm salty, i'll admit it, the petty part of me wants him to bust, but I think he's too good for that to happen.
Thanks for sharing. You can rest easy knowing you got our bonified best prospect in return. Yager has an insane 200 foot game and his ceiling is imo even higher than McGroarty's. Wonder where both players will be in 5 years from now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd assume that amount meant including the cost/value of the scholarship and all living expenses over the course of 4 years, rather than a yearly "salary" of $150k.

Yeah I think the total compensation for a college athlete is more than the AHL. Let's use Michigan as an example:

For out of state students, tuition plus dorms/meal plans/books is $80k according to this. Now add on that $500 a week or so for NIL deals and that's already over $100k a year, and that doesn't even touch on how much better of a life playing in college is than playing in the AHL.

Completely unrelated to this thread, but seeing Michigan's tuition just firmly reminds me of why people should only do in-state schools unless they're getting major scholarships. $80k a year for any school is just absurd.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
well NCAA hockey is a head count sport. So their scholarships are monitored like a pie for instance, so you slice the pie as there is only so much to go around.

NIL is about using one likeness to make money, and the money just isnt there to justify $600k. The point of NIL is for it to be public so the whole premise makes zero sense of what that claim is.
I think you’re underrating how much $ there is in terms of NHL alum, rich parents, rich alum. Camps where you can sell “Macklin Celebrini” as one of the coaches. Etc, etc. Where there’s a will there’s a way.

If guys in D1 lacrosse are getting 6 figures, and many are making 10k+, so are a few in hockey. If not more.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I think you’re underrating how much $ there is in terms of NHL alum, rich parents, rich alum. Camps where you can sell “Macklin Celebrini” as one of the coaches. Etc, etc. Where there’s a will there’s a way.

I think your vastly overrating it if you actually believe NIL deals for $600k.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Yeah I think the total compensation for a college athlete is more than the AHL. Let's use Michigan as an example:

For out of state students, tuition plus dorms/meal plans/books is $80k according to this. Now add on that $500 a week or so for NIL deals and that's already over $100k a year, and that doesn't even touch on how much better of a life playing in college is than playing in the AHL.

Completely unrelated to this thread, but seeing Michigan's tuition just firmly reminds me of why people should only do in-state schools unless they're getting major scholarships. $80k a year for any school is just absurd.
What value does tuition bring to a guy who probably won't get or use his degree?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What value does tuition bring to a guy who probably won't get or use his degree?

Because a huge majority of players playing in the NCAA won't even make it to the AHL, let alone NHL.

Looking back at the 2020-2021 Wolverines, a majority of that team either never played after college or never went above the ECHL after college. All of those guys are either working normal jobs or working a second job in addition to playing in the ECHL/SPHL/whatever other shit league these guys end up in.

Sure, the top NCAA guys like McGroarty likely won't use his degree. But a huge majority of NCAA hockey players are simply not good enough to play hockey as their livelihood, which makes getting the degree as a part of playing NCAA hockey wildly valuable.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Because a huge majority of players playing in the NCAA won't even make it to the AHL, let alone NHL.

Looking back at the 2020-2021 Wolverines, a majority of that team either never played after college or never went above the ECHL after college. All of those guys are either working normal jobs or working a second job in addition to playing in the ECHL/SPHL/whatever other shit league these guys end up in.

Sure, the top NCAA guys like McGroarty likely won't use his degree. But a huge majority of NCAA hockey players are simply not good enough to play hockey as their livelihood, which makes getting the degree as a part of playing NCAA hockey wildly valuable.
But they guys who don't make the NHL aren't really what we are talking about here.

Reactions: EpiPen

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
I like this deal, I was quite happy having Yager, but if McGroarty can step in right away that's cool too. I don't trust Sullivan with his usage though, or much of anything hockey related nowadays really.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Mcgrorarty said yesterday that the only thing he's been promised is a place in the rookie tournament roster.
But nothing beyond that. So much for holding out for not getting a promise to play in the NHL.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
1000021798.jpg

No it wasn't. Fake ass bitch.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Mcgrorarty said yesterday that the only thing he's been promised is a place in the rookie tournament roster.
But nothing beyond that. So much for holding out for not getting a promise to play in the NHL.

Which between that and the vague reason given of "didn't feel right" (similar to Gauthier's vague claims of a couple of little things over a period of time) suggests that something more serious happened that he's not comfortable making public. I just don't buy the reasoning that these guys are just flaky and that's all it is... something happened, whether with the organization or with a specific individual within the org.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Which between that and the vague reason given of "didn't feel right" (similar to Gauthier's vague claims of a couple of little things over a period of time) suggests that something more serious happened that he's not comfortable making public. I just don't buy the reasoning that these guys are just flaky and that's all it is... something happened, whether with the organization or with a specific individual within the org.
Yeah the something more serious thing that happened is the kid wanted more say in where he plays and he seen from his buddy Cutter how it is done. I think we will see this more and more often with the top NCAA kids who now have a plan on how to have some control in their landing spots. Some will do it with more political savvy then others, but the game plan is the same. I'd be surprised that in 5 years from now you ever see a 1st round pick going to the NCAA ever play a game in the AHL.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Figured as much. A guaranteed spot was never going to happen under Mike Sullivan. That said I hope he performs well and earns a spot on the team.

Reactions: Giskard

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Doesn't matter who said it. "didn't feel right" is the ONLY explanation that was given, according to Chevy.
I don't believe Chevy would flat out lie. If there was something that he didn't want to say, there is no one in the world better at saying nothing than Chevy. He would have blathered on for half an hour without saying a single thing. No need to fabricate anything.

So I accept that as true. Nothing about getting into a game or 2 at the end of the season. Jets have not hesitated in the past to give a player a game after signing out of NCAA.

It’s unfortunate these new age prospects seem to have learned the Pierre-Luc Dubois playbook and can just pull the “ick” card and ask to leave with no explanation given… Just feels very floofy and lacks integrity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad