Confirmed Trade: [PIT/WPG] Rutger McGroarty for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Yeah the something more serious thing that happened is the kid wanted more say in where he plays and he seen from his buddy Cutter how it is done.

I don't think of either Anaheim or Pittsburgh as the kind of markets you try to force your way to ... Nothing wrong with them, but there's a long list of more popular places among hockey players. There has to be more to the story than just ,"didn't feel like it."

It's also not just college players with leverage. A CHL player can re enter the draft after 2 years. If it's just that some guys are flakes, that could just as easily happen with a CHL player.

It’s unfortunate these new age prospects seem to have learned the Pierre-Luc Dubois playbook and can just pull the “ick” card and ask to leave with no explanation given… Just feels very floofy and lacks integrity.

OTOH they may not be in a position to disclose the reason. You can't just dump on someone in the org, if it's someone who other clients of your agent still have to deal with. And god forbid the problem is someone with ownership or part of the good old boys network.

Easy to say they should reveal all, but they're the ones who potentially have to navigate uncomfortable consequences even if they're justified. Sometimes it's easier to just say nothing, piss off a few fans, and move on with your career.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Him not telling the media why he wanted out is OK but him and his agent not telling the organization that drafted and developed him for 2 years why he wanted out was a dyck move. From what I saw from him at the wjc he is not a top 6 player this year for sure. Likely settle into a middle 6 player in a few years.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I believe the reason is the same as what's been reported from the start. He wanted an NHL spot this year. Jets didn't expect that spot to be ready yet so he tried to force a trade.

Penguins expect to have a spot for him. Doesn't mean that he's been PROMISED a spot, but I'm pretty sure they won't let him spend any time in the AHL.

The Jets didn't have to trade him but they got a fair return so everyone is happy.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I believe the reason is the same as what's been reported from the start. He wanted an NHL spot this year. Jets didn't expect that spot to be ready yet so he tried to force a trade.

Penguins expect to have a spot for him. Doesn't mean that he's been PROMISED a spot, but I'm pretty sure they won't let him spend any time in the AHL.

The Jets didn't have to trade him but they got a fair return so everyone is happy.
so when chevy straight up says that they didn't have any discussions about playing time etc he was just lying?

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I just can't wait to see it he wants out and forces Pittsburghs hand once Malkin and Crosby are gone. Will be hilarious in a few years when they are gone.
would line up with their tank years, convert him to a new asset if he doesn't meet expectations

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Him not telling the media why he wanted out is OK but him and his agent not telling the organization that drafted and developed him for 2 years why he wanted out was a dyck move.

You can't rule out the possibility that they did in fact tell them why, but it's something the team would rather not be made public so it's better to plead ignorance and hope it goes away.

And as we all know, Chevy has had plenty of practice at keeping his mouth shut about stuff he'd rather not talk about.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
You can't rule out the possibility that they did in fact tell them why, but it's something the team would rather not be made public so it's better to plead ignorance and hope it goes away.

And as we all know, Chevy has had plenty of practice at keeping his mouth shut about stuff he'd rather not talk about.
you literally can rule that possibility out, because if he wanted it to remain private he would have just said that, instead we got chevy coming out and saying that his camp never told him an actual reason why despite many questions...

Reactions: wraithsonwings

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
you literally can rule that possibility out, because if he wanted it to remain private he would have just said that,

Saying they want to keep it private is still going to drag it out with speculation that the only reason they don't want to talk about it is that the team screwed up.

Whereas saying they never told us the reason puts the spotlight on the player's side and makes him the bad guy.

Whether he knows or he doesn't, it's still to his PR advantage to plead ignorance. Right now the trade could turn into a loss for the Jets and yet no one would blame him one bit, since his hand was forced.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Saying they want to keep it private is still going to drag it out with speculation that the only reason they don't want to talk about it is that the team screwed up.

Whereas saying they never told us the reason puts the spotlight on the player's side and makes him the bad guy.

Whether he knows or he doesn't, it's still to his PR advantage to plead ignorance. Right now the trade could turn into a loss for the Jets and yet no one would blame him one bit, since his hand was forced.
and his agent would have said something like "we told them the reasons why" so his player doesn't look bad if it was true...

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
and his agent would have said something like "we told them the reasons why" so his player doesn't look bad if it was true...
Or his agent and Rutger are doing the right thing and going this route...

giphy.gif

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I still am all for players being able to choose where they play, I am againt a slave market system.

However, in this case in specific, it is strange that he would leave NCAA and sign with WPG just to not want to sign with them afterwards. It would have been much smoother to just play the 4 years in NCAA; it's not like he's been so good there that he needs to come over right now.

That's why the theory that something bad happened there seems more believable.

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Players should have to play their ELC years for the team that drafts them or sit and watch the game until they do.
This whiny, childish mentality of “I get to pick where I want to play” is horse shit…you earn that right with experience like the majority of players before you.
This crap started with Eric Lindros and should have ended there… play for the team that drafts you or don’t play in the NHL at all…period

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I still am all for players being able to choose where they play, I am againt a slave market system.

However, in this case in specific, it is strange that he would leave NCAA and sign with WPG just to not want to sign with them afterwards. It would have been much smoother to just play the 4 years in NCAA; it's not like he's been so good there that he needs to come over right now.

That's why the theory that something bad happened there seems more believable.
The last thing the kid wanted to do is play another 2 years in the NCAA. He wants to be in the NHL now. He was on a stacked team last year with the top players now moving onto the NHL. He very badly wanted to be there to.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The last thing the kid wanted to do is play another 2 years in the NCAA. He wants to be in the NHL now. He was on a stacked team last year with the top players now moving onto the NHL. He very badly wanted to be there to.

McGroarty told Michigan that he was heading back there this season. So it can be assumed his plan was at least 1 more year in the NCAA, which wouldn't be possible if he signed an NHL contract

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

Yes we can rule it out. I know chevy well enough to know he isn't lying when he said they told him it didn't feel right about signing in wpg. Otherwise he wouldnt say it. Nor would he lie about it if they told him the reason. His agent would have said by now chevy knows why but hasn't because it didn't happen. Sorry total dyck move not telling the jets why in private by rutger. No comment on your fake outrage on the Blackhawk situation. He would have been let go by the nhl like everybody else if he did anything wrong tho.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
McGroarty told Michigan that he was heading back there this season. So it can be assumed his plan was at least 1 more year in the NCAA, which wouldn't be possible if he signed an NHL contract
What he told them and what he wanted are 2 completely different things as we can see. He bailed on them the week before classes started.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg
I meant $150k worth of scholarship/living expenses over a 4 year timespan. So maybe bump that to $160k for 4 years, or around $40k per year for tuition/room/meal/spending.

Then again it's been years since I was in university and have no clue if that's way too little for tuition and room and board nowadays.
My kid just spent 500 on two books…and there was an option to rent the physical books for around half the price.

Whis

Jul 1, 2016
The NHL would be terrible if there wasn't 7 year control. The haves vs have nots gap would be enormous. Everyone would sign in no tax states or in NYC or Cali. You might as well move 4 of the Canadian markets out of the NHL now, get rid of all that Canadian TV revenue, lose the heart and soul of the NHL with the Canadian fans and continue to fade into obscurity in the States. What do the league and fans gain from moving away from "slave market system".

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
The NHL would be terrible if there wasn't 7 year control. The haves vs have nots gap would be enormous. Everyone would sign in no tax states or in NYC or Cali. You might as well move 4 of the Canadian markets out of the NHL now, get rid of all that Canadian TV revenue, lose the heart and soul of the NHL with the Canadian fans and continue to fade into obscurity in the States. What do the league and fans gain from moving away from "slave market system".
The system is showing signs of cracking due to trade demands and offer sheets. Most of the players involved are American…. Although Askarov was Russian and wanting to get traded to select American cities.

Given that nearly 30% of players in the NHL now are American and growing I would say that your doomsday scenario about Canadian teams losing control is correct. I don’t think you’ll be seeing Canadian teams drafting many US college players going forward as a result. More and more Canadian teams will draft from their own backyard which is fine for teams like Ottawa and Toronto but poor Montreal will have to scrape and claw for viable QHL prospects. The Q is now at the level of a European junior league.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I will add the use of the term "slave" is over the top and inflammatory.

They are being paid millions of dollars PLUS have options built in to a collective bargaining agreement.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Yes we can rule it out. I know chevy well enough to know he isn't lying when he said they told him it didn't feel right about signing in wpg. Otherwise he wouldnt say it. Nor would he lie about it if they told him the reason.

Possible, but it doesn't rule out that someone else in the organization screwed things up, but neither the player nor the person involved let anyone else know. If it's someone entrenched (ownership, upper management, even a key player or a family member of someone entrenched) it would not necessarily be the kind of thing that gets passed onto the GM. I assure you, someone in the organization knows what happened. Guys don't just wake up one day and go, "know what, I want a trade out of an organization I've never played for, for no apparent reason."

His agent would have said by now chevy knows why but hasn't because it didn't happen.

Then the agent is basically burning bridges with a team/GM that he still has to work with. Not smart business. Sometimes you take the hit for the greater good.

Sorry total dyck move not telling the jets why in private by rutger.

Depends. If they had a bad interaction with one of the owners, for example, it'd be awkward to bring it up. Best to just get the hell out and move on. I've severed business ties due to bad interactions with an individual, without telling the other business why ... just took my business elsewhere, it's not my job to police another company's management, and my company was small potatoes to them anyway.

No comment on your fake outrage on the Blackhawk situation.

Sorry, as someone who's seen up close what happens to victims, my outrage is real. Since you know him so well, tell me does he seem like the kind of guy who finds out about not one but two incidents, shrugs it off, and then keeps quiet for 11 years for the good of his career? Actually we already know the answer to that. I'm pretty sure a much lesser incident that makes a player not want to sign would be easy for him to feign ignorance on. Let's not act like your buddy is some bastion of openness and honesty.

If the cover up had come out before he'd gotten the Jets gig, he'd have never gotten a GM job anywhere, he'd have been toxic. He got lucky.

Not if the agent still has to deal with that team with other clients. Dealing with one angry fan base is no big deal for pro athletes, and it sure beats pissing off someone involved with management or ownership.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad