Confirmed Trade: [PIT/WPG] Rutger McGroarty for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
so when chevy straight up says that they didn't have any discussions about playing time etc he was just lying?

Chevy and McGroarty definitely discussed development path (which is not the same as playing time). AHL vs NCAA was a point of contention.

If Chevy is less than transparent on the topic it's because he won't embarrass McGroarty. Chevy is secretive to a fault (eg. Kyle Beach).

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Chevy and McGroarty definitely discussed development path (which is not the same as playing time). AHL vs NCAA was a point of contention.

If Chevy is less than transparent on the topic it's because he won't embarrass McGroarty. Chevy is secretive to a fault (eg. Kyle Beach).
he was asked about playing time/guarantees and said they never had a conversation about that... but I guess were just making up things now...

maybe go back and actually listen to the interview

murat - "did he or his camp ever sort of ask for insurances about his path to the nhl, whether is was just a fair shot or 9 games or even more then that?

chevy - "we never had that conversation once"

your logic that chevy doesn't want to embarrass mcgroarty doesn't even make sense, if he didn't want that he would have simply said these things will remain private, saying he never gave an answer as to why after many questions about it does the opposite

Last edited:

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Mcgrorarty said yesterday that the only thing he's been promised is a place in the rookie tournament roster.
But nothing beyond that. So much for holding out for not getting a promise to play in the NHL.

Honestly I give it about a 70% chance he starts in the AHL or starts in the NHL for a few games before getting sent down.

30% chance he stays as a NHL regular this year.
I believe the reason is the same as what's been reported from the start. He wanted an NHL spot this year. Jets didn't expect that spot to be ready yet so he tried to force a trade.

Penguins expect to have a spot for him. Doesn't mean that he's been PROMISED a spot, but I'm pretty sure they won't let him spend any time in the AHL.

The Jets didn't have to trade him but they got a fair return so everyone is happy.
Agreed its a fair trade and Yager now can take time to develop.

so when chevy straight up says that they didn't have any discussions about playing time etc he was just lying?

Gms lie Agents Lie Players Lie.

people lie.

You can't rule out the possibility that they did in fact tell them why, but it's something the team would rather not be made public so it's better to plead ignorance and hope it goes away.

And as we all know, Chevy has had plenty of practice at keeping his mouth shut about stuff he'd rather not talk about.

Combo of team and player probably. Both doing PR.

I do wonder If it's how Cole Perfetti was treated that perhaps soured the relationship.

Reactions: Ocoee and Turin

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
It’s unfortunate these new age prospects seem to have learned the Pierre-Luc Dubois playbook and can just pull the “ick” card and ask to leave with no explanation given… Just feels very floofy and lacks integrity.
Why are people begging for their city to be shit on? Because it’s more honest? That wouldn’t make you happier.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
he was asked about playing time/guarantees and said they never had a conversation about that... but I guess were just making up things now...

maybe go back and actually listen to the interview

murat - "did he or his camp ever sort of ask for insurances about his path to the nhl, whether is was just a fair shot or 9 games or even more then that?

chevy - "we never had that conversation once"

your logic that chevy doesn't want to embarrass mcgroarty doesn't even make sense, if he didn't want that he would have simply said these things will remain private, saying he never gave an answer as to why after many questions about it does the opposite

No I'm not making anything up. I'm trusting the initial reporting.

"The team preferred McGroarty hone his skills in the American Hockey League. At the same time, the 20-year-old felt he was ready to make the leap to the NHL, similar to the one Michigan linemates Gavin Brindley and Frank Nazar, who signed with Columbus and Chicago, respectively, are making.

Another source, who also spoke to the Sun on Saturday, confirmed as much, citing concerns over McGroarty’s developmental path and overall relationship with the club, including with the forward’s advisors."

And regarding Murat's question, the topics of playing time and roster guarantees are very specific. I'm not saying those those specifics were discussed. I'm confident that Chevy and McGroarty discussed his development path at a general level.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
No I'm not making anything up. I'm trusting the initial reporting.

"The team preferred McGroarty hone his skills in the American Hockey League. At the same time, the 20-year-old felt he was ready to make the leap to the NHL, similar to the one Michigan linemates Gavin Brindley and Frank Nazar, who signed with Columbus and Chicago, respectively, are making.

Another source, who also spoke to the Sun on Saturday, confirmed as much, citing concerns over McGroarty’s developmental path and overall relationship with the club, including with the forward’s advisors."

And regarding Murat's question, the topics of playing time and roster guarantees are very specific. I'm not saying those those specifics were discussed. I'm confident that Chevy and McGroarty discussed his development path at a general level.
yeah, the initial reporting was clearly wrong, considering chevy said he was told it didn't feel right all the way back to developmental camp from both the advisor/player

there is literally no reason for chevy to lie about this, it would have been easier to just say they want things to remain private, but he didn't and mcgroarty's agent could have easily squashed this had he did lie

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He was going back to college only if he remained Jets property. He was traded, then his college plans went kaput.

Seems pretty clear.
Seems pretty clear he wanted to play in the NHL and not go back to college. As soon as another team got his rights he quickly bailed on his commitment to Michigan. Chevy knew he wanted no part of college that is why he kept pushing for the best deal he could get before the kid stepping foot on campus.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Why are people begging for their city to be shit on? Because it’s more honest? That wouldn’t make you happier.
People are begging for the player that acted like he loved the organization and city from the time he was drafted in 2022 until 2024 to stop being an evasive lying douche bag snake.

Glad this dink is gone!!! Antics like this will get him tuned up in a hurry.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Guys a flake + a bandwaggon fan , can't trust guys like that

Players aren't fans. They're employees. Fans often talk about players as "assets". You shouldn't expect loyalty from assets.

When a guy the team and fans said they loved gets traded or cut don't say it's "just business" but then play the sentiment card when the tables are turned.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
When mcgroarty is truly ready to contribute malkin and Crosby will have been long gone.
Hardly. Geno you might be right about since he has just the year left but I suspect he will sign an extension for maybe another year depending on how his body and game hold up.

I think like Knies, he could contribute now but it really depends on the moron Sullivan being able to put him in a position to succeed. Because McGroarty isn't the fit for Crosby as he is for Malkin. If they think Rutger is going to work with Sid with his skating right now, it's not going to look good. But with Malkin's game, he's a better fit.

Knies like McGroarty was also on a super stacked Minnesota and jumped over after 2yrs. Doesn't have the skating issues but Rutger definitely has the hockey IQ and talent to thrive even with the skating not being his strength.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Hardly. Geno you might be right about since he has just the year left
Two years left.
1725314494426.png

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Weird that they gave up on Jagr this early, might bite them big time.

HFboards current prospect ratings

McGroarty = 27
Yager = 44

What makes you think they gave up on him? They traded up for what this forum thinks is the better prospect

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012

They are from different draft years. Let’s see where Yags is by this time next year.
It's quite comical - fans of both teams are underrating their ex prospects. While other fans of both teams sit back and watch how ridiculous this all has become in this thread.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
HFboards current prospect ratings

McGroarty = 27
Yager = 44

What makes you think they gave up on him? They traded up for what this forum thinks is the better prospect
McGroanarty has an extra year of development. With prospects set to graduate, this time next year will see Yager ranked in the same vicinity.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
McGroanarty has an extra year of development. With prospects set to graduate, this time next year will see Yager ranked in the same vicinity.

Yes, that's the point. The Pens didn't give up on Yager if that's what you're also implying. They needed someone who can contribute immediately and to the Pens it's the better prospect today.

Reactions: KrisLeturnover

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Yes, that's the point. The Pens didn't give up on Yager if that's what you're also implying. They needed someone who can contribute immediately and to the Pens it's the better prospect today.
Just disagreeing that he’s the better prospect. Your original post didn’t say “better prospect today’. It just said better prospect. More ready, yes but to say he’s a better prospect or he’ll be a sure fire better player down the road is recency bias.

Both players bring different elements to their game, but both are likely to be rated in the same tier of players when all is said and done.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Just disagreeing that he’s the better prospect. Your original post didn’t say “better prospect today’. It just said better prospect. More ready, yes but to say he’s a better prospect or he’ll be a sure fire better player down the road is recency bias.

Both players bring different elements to their game, but both are likely to be rated in the same tier of players when all is said and done.

The context of the conversation was the Pens giving up on Yager. No idea why you're going on about being a better player later on, when that has nothing to do with why the Pens made the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad