Value of: Pierre Luc Dubois

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
If a buyout is a genuine option on the table, Blake and the rest are all gone. That'd be an admission of a horrific mistake, one that has cost millions and harmed the team. Everyone involved needs to go.
Rumor is that Blake is pretty much already gone.

“I fully understand the repercussions if this team does not win or have success,” Blake said at a news conference Monday, his first public comments since he fired McLellan last Friday.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Considering the Kings' cap postion, buying out PLD makes infinitely much more sense than giving away Byfield and adding two players who's cap totals are over 17 mil.

If the Kings buyout PLD that money can go towards Byfield and the Kings can address their other more glaring problems
Yeah, at this point I can't really come up with a good reason NOT to buy him out. That $7 million in cap space is absolutely needed to improve the team.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah, at this point I can't really come up with a good reason NOT to buy him out. That $7 million in cap space is absolutely needed to improve the team.
Dead caps of $1.6, $1.5, $2.5 mill over the next 3 seasons is manageable. Then it jumps to $3.8 mill for 3 straights seasons before going down to $2.8 mill. Cap will be $87.5 mill next season so will be into the $90 mill range once they get into the higher dead cap years. Around $27.3 mill of real money but might be the best use if you don’t believe in him.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
How did he look in the Oilers series?
Bad.

1 goal off of Kane's skate

1714679568219.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: joestevens29

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Dead caps of $1.6, $1.5, $2.5 mill over the next 3 seasons is manageable. Then it jumps to $3.8 mill for 3 straights seasons before going down to $2.8 mill. Cap will be $87.5 mill next season so will be into the $90 mill range once they get into the higher dead cap years. Around $27.3 mill of real money but might be the best use if you don’t believe in him.
I believe the actual cash is about $16 million ($1.13 million x 14 years IIRC).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He will get another contract but unlikely to get long term deal. If bought out he’d come away with $36 mill of the $68 mill he was due. $32 mill left for him to earn to be even over 7 years which is a $4.5 mill average.

I believe the actual cash is about $16 million ($1.13 million x 14 years IIRC).
That $16 mill is on the $47.5 mill of base salary remaining. He still has $11.5 mill of signing bonuses which get paid in full. That’s how I arrived at $27.3 mill.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
He will get another contract but unlikely to get long term deal. If bought out he’d come away with $36 mill of the $68 mill he was due. $32 mill left for him to earn to be even over 7 years which is a $4.5 mill average.

That $16 mill is on the $47.5 mill of base salary remaining. He still has $11.5 mill of signing bonuses which get paid in full. That’s how I arrived at $27.3 mill.
Per Capfriendly his buyout would be $15.8 million + the $8.5 million he made in 23-24...$24.3 million in total if bought out now. Unless I'm not interpreting the buyout cost column correctly on their website.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Dubois at 4M would have lots of takers

Absolutely. But how much would Rob Blake and the Kings value having that deadweight cap hit on their books for the next 7 years.

I haven't really been paying attention to him, but I can't believe just how bad he's been since the trade to LA. They were supposed to have the most enviable center position in the league. Kopitar, Dubois, Danault? That was excellent on paper.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

Gotcha...I thought the buyout negated his signing bonuses going forward. Makes sense.

Twain

Jul 1, 2019
Is it even a fact that it’s a 1/3 buyout? Friedman said on the Jeff Marek Show today that he thinks it’s not, because Dubois turns 26 before the end of NHL calendar year 30th of June and that’s the deciding factor. He wasn’t 100% sure and was willing to hear from others. But this is what he had been told when he asked about it earlier in the season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Per Capfriendly his buyout would be $15.8 million + the $8.5 million he made in 23-24...$24.3 million in total if bought out now. Unless I'm not interpreting the buyout cost column correctly on their website.
I’m guessing you are interpreting buyout cost column as the total amount due to PLD. That is just the amount LA owed on the base salary that they can buyout at a lower rate. Signing bonuses are due 100% and not subject to a buyout.

Reactions: tomd

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I saw a bit of this at the start.
---
PLD for Jarry + Graves + 3rd

Graves can slot as the 3rd pairing Defensemen for LD.

Jarry is a starting goaltender and needs a fresh start.

We take PLD all 7 years no retention.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDo

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
In a couple years that will be the UFA rate for a 2C. And he will still be 27. Someone like Hertl will be 400 years old, you won’t get those old years with this contract.
How is this related to PLD is hired as a 1st line center?
I mean even if, he isn't even a 2nd line center

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
pay him $27M to go away or pay some other shitter on a bad contract $27M or pay $27M in retention to get rid of him

buyout is far and away the most logical solution if you eliminate "we can fix him" from the equation, this guy is toxic and he couldn't put it together for yet another 2 coaches
Bernstein said something similar. Kings no better off taking on another bad contract and still not fix team

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Buying out PLD would be pointless IMO.

Even at the favorable cap penalty, you still need to fill that role with an equal or better offensive player for the difference in salaries. Assuming Kopitar regresses over the next three seasons, odds are the expectations of PLD increase along with his icetime and meaningful offensive role.

He was without question a disappointment in this series, but he's a kid in his mid 20s with size and the pedigree to be an impactful forward.

If the goal is immediately improving, LA should focus on the area that has stood out the most over the last three playoff runs--their goaltending.
The Kings had better point production from the 22-23 group of regular centers (Kopitar, Danault,Lizotte, and Kupari) than this year's group where PLD replaced Kupari. It takes less than 1 million dollars to replace that production if the Kings continue to misuse Byfield on wing.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Is it even a fact that it’s a 1/3 buyout? Friedman said on the Jeff Marek Show today that he thinks it’s not, because Dubois turns 26 before the end of NHL calendar year 30th of June and that’s the deciding factor. He wasn’t 100% sure and was willing to hear from others. But this is what he had been told when he asked about it earlier in the season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
depends on how cba is worded. Some players born July to mid Sept if they don’t spend their first year pro at age 20 for about 1/2 a season in the nhl they can’t become a ufa until the year they turn 28. Someone born before July can with the same number of nhl games in their age 20 year can become a ufa in the year they turn 27. July 1 is the cutoff day. While the age you are deemed when you sign is based on your age by Sept 15.

Buyout period opens up before PLD turns 26 in late June. What takes precedence is written in the cba.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $3,470.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated: