Value of: Pierre Luc Dubois

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Gallagher + Avs 2nd

For

Dubois $1 million retained + LA's 1st

Even if gallagher isn't productive him and Danault formed one of the most effective shutdown lines in the NHL for half a decade last time they played together.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just as easy as it is for you to pose trade possibilities I suppose, but I'm familiar with the path of these discussions with you.

I'll just say the Kings owners are pretty high on the "money doesn't matter much" list of US NHL team owners and that Blake should be worried anyway due to the net results of his signings and trades.

I'm just firm on what I post and most can't handle it. Probably children who have a hard time comprehending and debating in good faith. You are not one of them are you?

Sorry, I don't agree that the Kings owner is high on the money don't matter list. It's a business.

* Wild buying out Parise and Suter cost them $6.7M spread over 8 years ($833k per year of real money for each player). A total of $13.3M over 8 years and from what remember, this is the largest buyout yet.

* Dubois buy out cost cap space and a fair amount of real dollars. $31M spread over 14 years. Billionaire owners just don't throw that kind of money around that easily. However, see question below.

Question, why is Dubois buyout cost change on june 23rd vs 24th? Cap friendly shows different numbers if you but it out June 23rd vs 24th.

Make it Gallagher and Anderson, replace Harris with Carey Price's contract and we may have a deal.

Where there is a will, there is a way. Both sides would have to talk back/forth a fair amount.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Players who are 25 and under have their salary 1/3 guaranteed in the case of buyouts. Players who are 26 and over have their salary 2/3 guaranteed for buyouts.

The 24th is PLD's birthday.

Ah, makes sense now. Thank you.

The buyout before the 24th doesn't look as bad.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I'm just firm on what I post and most can't handle it. Probably children who have a hard time comprehending and debating in good faith. You are not one of them are you?

Sorry, I don't agree that the Kings owner is high on the money don't matter list. It's a business.

* Wild buying out Parise and Suter cost them $6.7M spread over 8 years ($833k per year of real money for each player). A total of $13.3M over 8 years and from what remember, this is the largest buyout yet.

* Dubois buy out cost cap space and a fair amount of real dollars. $31M spread over 14 years. Billionaire owners just don't throw that kind of money around that easily. However, see question below.

Question, why is Dubois buyout cost change on june 23rd vs 24th? Cap friendly shows different numbers if you but it out June 23rd vs 24th.

Where there is a will, there is a way. Both sides would have to talk back/forth a fair amount.
Not a child and can have a reasoned debate.
I do understand how buyouts work though but thanks for all the additional text

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

I'll go the other way on this. First of all your question. I am guessing buyouts must be completed before 6/24, hence the amount change

The buyout for this offseason for PLDunce is very easy to swallow (TWSS)
1714663842996.png

The Kings are in cap hell, They have to let Roy and Arrrrrvidsson walk and they have to sign Byfield, who is likely going to want Stutzle money. If they can't trade him or have to retain more than the buyout, buying him out now creates almost 7 mil in cap space this season for a team that desperately needs it.

Buying out PLDufus now mitigates the NMC
1714664207959.png

and the buyout is much cheaper this offseason than next year

1714664240253.png

and the buyout of PLDingo it's even worse the season after
1714664285738.png

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk
1714664335177.png

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Couturier for Dubois, who says no?

PLD might, but it looks like his NMC doesn't kick in until July 1st.

PLD's buyout is a better option. That contract runs until SC is 37

1714664810781.png

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
This is the part I think many are overlooking. Of course Dubois should put up more points with that contract but the things he brings beyond points is being overshadowed. Rightfully so but some go way overboard with it.
He may be strong, but he damn sure isn’t physical 99% of the time.

Guy is a full blown floater.

Reactions: go4hockey

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You're too generous. I was going to offer Couturier and Petersen for PLD @50%, in the hopes that being forced to play under Torts again would cause PLD to retire outright. (Also, I want to see a team defense featuring both Couturier and Danault, that sounds nifty.)
agree
Cout is presently higher quality but a lot more wear and tear
Now IF IF IF regardless of coach you think pld will put out in Philly, a younger asset w/less miles of damage, ok it is a discussion

but that is an outrageous leap of faith
imo

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'll go the other way on this. First of all your question. I am guessing buyouts must be completed before 6/24, hence the amount change

View attachment 863578

The Kings are in cap hell, They have to let Roy and Arrrrrvidsson walk and they have to sign Byfield, who is likely going to want Stutzle money. If they can't trade him or have to retain more than the buyout, buying him out now creates almost 7 mil in cap space this season for a team that desperately needs it.

View attachment 863584

View attachment 863585

View attachment 863586

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk
View attachment 863587
da bold

I didn't want to emphasize this, sound like I was rubbing salt in the wound, but since a Ks fan brought it up, yeah, buyout will have consequences, b'c cap is real.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Players who are 25 and under have their salary 1/3 guaranteed in the case of buyouts. Players who are 26 and over have their salary 2/3 guaranteed for buyouts.

The 24th is PLD's birthday.
Yep. A buyout decision would have to come before his birthday. Critical point.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
da bold

I didn't want to emphasize this, sound like I was rubbing salt in the wound, but since a Ks fan brought it up, yeah, buyout will have consequences, b'c cap is real.
What are those consequences? The buyout if much more appetizing thant he trades that are offered

Let's sample them

1714665889523.png

1714665911823.png

the buyout is a better option that either of these proposals. After PLD's season and playoffs, his value is at the lowest ever.

Reactions: go4hockey

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

lk
No, it's because the buyout amount for players under 26 is only 1/3 of their contract, instead of 2/3.

A buyout decision has to come before Dubois' birthday, because the buyout math changes considerably (in a worse way) after that.

If they don't buy him out soon, they'll have to try to find a bad money for bad money trade.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
No, it's because the buyout amount for players under 26 is only 1/3 of their contract, instead of 2/3.

A buyout decision has to come before Dubois' birthday, because the buyout math changes considerably (in a worse way) after that.

If they don't buy him out soon, they'll have to try to find a bad money for bad money trade.
TY
The bolded part is really the crux here.

The buyout is by far the least painful option here

1714666187632.png

I'd definitely buy him out, but hey, it's not coming out of my pockets, so the decision is an easy one.
As a Dad of 5 boys, you have to be a budgeting mastermind.

I know you are a Preds fan and live in TN, but would you have any interest in a work from home job as the LA Kings' capologist. I am confident that you will have more foresight than the bozos in our front office? We can pay you in a combination of your choice of US Dollars and catfish!

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It's no stereotype. The Rangers would be a worse team next year if you remove Panarin and Shesterkin for Byfield and PLD. You also have no certainty that the team will be better down the road with that exchange, as other players get older, injured or leave. So, you are hurting the team's current chances of winning a Cup in the hope that the team will be better several years down the road. The Rangers are in "win now" mode, so should not be trading away key players. By your logic, the Oilers should trade away McDavid because it will help their cap situation down the road.
wholehearted disagree
you completely ignore factual basis examples of CHI, TB, BOS and others demonstrating longer term contending and good shots at multiple cups by extending window, not desperate all in for 1 or 2 yrs

As for "You also have no certainty that the team will be better down the road with that exchange, as other players get older, injured or leave."
The reciprocal is also true; you have no certainty that with a mostly young but experienced core current Rs + Byfield + likely a playing pld are worse.
Yes Shesty is primo but we have a signif HOF in quick to work w/Garand who is not chopped liver, and the best G coach in Allaire.

As to bread, yeah sure, he's >>> than Othmann today, but Oth not looking bad either, and we are benefitting short term from cap improvement.
We have to wean away from bread so he is not in control on final contract extension. We are not giving him anywhere near 11m, and any offer will be a LOT less.
Makes mo sense to add Byf now, play pld by ear and obtain foundation to continue strong contender status now and ongoing

As for McD reference, it's overly simplistic and just wrong.
McD may/may not walk and may/may not give Oil sweetheart deal

Everything has risk/reward.
Whether ANY PLAYER, incl McD should be traded depends on return and circumstances

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
He's 26, 6'4", 225, strong, physical, versatile positionally,
When you are a smart, complete, hardworking player who can excel at center, left or right wing, you are versatile positionally.

When you're a big, lazy ass that has to constantly be moved up and down the lineup at every position, from 1st line all the way down to the 4th in the hope it will get you going, and that despite that, the only thing you accomplish consistently is having a smug look on your punchable face, you're not versatile positionally. You're just a coaching headache.

Reactions: Lt Dan

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Easy for fans to say the owner will throw money away that easily. Even if the $31M is spread over 14 years.
It's not 31M because you can buy him out for 1/3. It's just under 16M. $1,130,952 x 14.

This is the last offseason you can buy him out for 1/3. If you don't buy him out now, you're going to be stuck with that contract for a long time. Interesting decision.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
No one is going to trade for this floater who gives zero effort. The guy just coasts out there.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
What are those consequences? The buyout if much more appetizing thant he trades that are offered

Let's sample them

View attachment 863600

View attachment 863601

the buyout is a better option that either of these proposals. After PLD's season and playoffs, his value is at the lowest ever.
What consequences -- any buyout will dead cap, how much dep on when.
No ?, an early buyout is better $ wise than a late one.
But as i believe you pointed out, kings are up vs cap limit now.
So dead cap via buyout IS an option, but it will force countermoves.

As to the props listed not just yr post but the thread, I don't see anything other than my post which either is realistic enough to be made or beats my offer. Consider:

If it is = bad contract for equal bad contract, that is not appreciably beneficial, like rearranging decks on the titanic. Also why does other team go there?

A lesser bad contract for pld works for you, but logic says other teams not likely to do Kings any favors, so unrealistic expectations.

A combo of worse bad contracts for LA is also problematic.

I saw something around Cout. straight up. Don't see Philly doing that. And too lazy to check what is his contract status, but if you acquire him and he breaks down, but not enuf for LTIR, you're effed.

Now if you open the door I'm presenting, in the short term Panarin more than offset loss of Byfield.
And Shesterkin is huge improvement.
And you are moving pld full pop, no retention.
All of that is a win, for of course Byfield

now yes you are taking on more cap. But you are
-- avoiding having to pay Byfield on his rfa,
-- getting structural relief by adding shorter term bread for pld
[bread even w/extension is not gonna be the 7 yrs remaining on pld's deal]
-- add to cost of G but Shesty is worth it
-- and you can cut short term on depth to get production from both Shesty + bread w/no dead cap;; think of this as productive bridge w/extension opportunities while you await graceful exits of Kopitar/Doughty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad