Value of: Pick #13. BUF looking for top 4 RD

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Agreed. And there's definitely an angle if the value is right between CGY and BUF.

You have lots of D and are up against the cap.

We aren't and need D.

Sadly, this thread is a typical hfboards trade thread, so you get crap like Faulk for 13 and Kulich, and there's no analysis to be done on either side.

Buffalo won't trade Tuch, even with how good Andersson's value is. Tuch is just too important to the post-Eichel anti-dickhead locker room vibes.
So what exactly is the plan in Buffalo? You still have a fairly impressive stable developing, so I'm assuming older stop-gap guys, such as Tanev, who still have some game left but aren't necessarily looking for the gross, longterm retirement contracts? If this is the case, you may want to keep Backlund on your radar as well. One year left and still has lots of jump. Could potentially transition down to a stud 4C and shouldn't break the bank on an extension.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Neil Pionk is a 2 way RHS #4. 27 years old with a couple years left on his contract. Good skater. Good shot. Plays a feisty game. 13th overall is a high price to pay so maybe some extra parts needed.
What were you thinking?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
So what exactly is the plan in Buffalo? You still have a fairly impressive stable developing, so I'm assuming older stop-gap guys, such as Tanev, who still have some game left but aren't necessarily looking for the gross, longterm retirement contracts? If this is the case, you may want to keep Backlund on your radar as well. One year left and still has lots of jump. Could potentially transition down to a stud 4C and shouldn't break the bank on an extension.

Cap isn't a major issue in Buffalo. Tanev would fit like a glove for a year and if he still has stuff in the tank, we'd certainly be open to re-signing him.

What Buffalo needs is a guy to partner with Power and then a stud PKer who can win faceoffs to be our 4th line center. Backlund seems like overkill.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Andersson's a no go. Contract is too good.

Tanev or Hanifin would be on the table though.

Preferring someone who is a right shot and has a bit more tread on the tire though Tanev's an excellent defender. If they are putting 13OA into the mix, the hope is for someone on the other side of 30. I'm of a mind that it's not going to be 13 in the mix, that they'll make some sort of move more like how the Devils picked up Siegenthaler/Graves for picks or last summer's defense swaps of Petry for Matheson, Marino for Smith where they use Jokiharju and something to get a different player at the same RHD position.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
It wouldn't require the 13th, but any interest in making an offer on Ceci?

Edmonton's thrown him at endless match-up's vs. elites over the last two years, and although it was clear he was over-matched, he's still managed to keep his head above water and consistently come out ahead.

He wouldn't Edmonton's first choice to deal for cap space/free up a roster spot on defence (that would be Kulak), but a better return might be enough for them to consider it. On that note, Kulak would also be a decent/comparatively cheap target for Buffalo to shore up their bottom pairing.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Plan is seemingly straight forward (as far as we fans think). add a few vet dmen who play a more defensive game. Tanev fits.

Add a goalie to go with Levi.

Probably maneuver one forward out (Olofsson) for a more defensive minded guy. Backlund fits that too.

That’s basically it. I’m in a group who think our 1st is available at the right value. 1st + ? + ? For backlund and Tanev could be something, depending on the ?. Hint: it won’t be savoie or kulich.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
We had hopes of Jensen making it to UFA, but Washington getting him inked earlier put that dream to rest. I doubt the Caps would put him into a trade so soon after negotiating that deal which might be his last in the NHL. Have to figure he's settled, knows where he's going to be, will be around family and all that.
I thought Jensen to Buffalo for their first was going to happen if they couldn’t get a deal signed. Jensen is perfect behind Carlson so I figured he’d be their top internal priority to re-sign but figured if they couldn’t agree to terms then Buffalo made too much sense.

I doubt they’d trade him after he just extended but who knows. They traded Dillon the season after they extended him as well if I’m not mistaken.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Plan is seemingly straight forward (as far as we fans think). add a few vet dmen who play a more defensive game. Tanev fits.

Probably maneuver one forward out (Olofsson) for a more defensive minded guy. Backlund fits that too.

That’s basically it. I’m in a group who think our 1st is available at the right value. 1st + ? + ? For backlund and Tanev could be something, depending on the ?. Hint: it won’t be savoie or kulich.

Be a hell of a + for those two haha

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Sorry to burst your bubble but you would need a top 5 pick + for that and even then I don’t see a team trading a young 2/3 RHD with 4+ years of team control. That’s just not going to happen. Top 4 RHD under 30 are already super rare. What you’re asking for a mid first round pick is insane
This is an odd post unless you’re really fixated on the 4+ years RH part.

Pre-prime defencemen the likes of which the Sabres need get traded for picks like this all the time: witness Chychrun, Hronek and Romanov all within the past year.

Reactions: majormajor

Ledge And Dairy

He is on the 22-23 Hawks. He might be that on a contender. Not sure.

We (at least, I) want another one because championship teams often have top-4 caliber defense playing on their third pair. Sabres are ready to raise expectations and stakes.
What does him being on the 22/23 hawks have to do with anything? Good players can be on overall bad teams. Hampus Lindholm was on the 21/22 Ducks and look how he's done since.

What's fact is that despite Murphy being on a team that sucked that bad he was still quite good defensively.
download (42).png

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

Mayfield would look pretty good in that RD slot as well. Possibly Talbot as a cheap, stop gap goalie option.

What's the deal with Krebs? Is he in the longterm plans?

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Mayfield would look pretty good in that RD slot as well. Possibly Talbot as a cheap, stop gap goalie option.

What's the deal with Krebs? Is he in the longterm plans?
Definitely. I’m not using the untouchable word, but the only guys on the roster I see getting moved right now are Luukkonen, Bryson, Olofsson, and maaaybbbeee Jokiharju.

You can assume no one else is moving. Not because they’re “untouchable”, but because the gm is completely in on building from within. And after Tim murray f***ed us with outside leadership that didn’t give a shit (Kane Bogosian etc), it’s hard to argue.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
This will probably be an unpopular opinion amongst Canes fans but I would consider trading Brett Pesce.

28 y/o rock solid defender who can be a 2/3 with 1 year left at $4m AAV.

NY state guy as well so he’d probably be cool resigning in Buffalo.

Canes need scoring wingers but draft capital and prospects are good too. We have some young D re-enforcements that will be looking to make a jump to the NHL soon and we can’t afford to keep all of Slavin, Skjei, and Pesce.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
This will probably be an unpopular opinion amongst Canes fans but I would consider trading Brett Pesce.

Canes need scoring wingers but draft capital and prospects are good too. We have some young D re-enforcements that will be looking to make a jump to the NHL soon and we can’t afford to keep all of Slavin, Skjei, and Pesce.
I'd be very interested in Pesce and we have a plethora of scoring wingers and draft picks. I'd imagine a deal could be worked out if Carolina entertained moving him.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
So who’s available as a winger. I should emphasize that Canes are ideally looking for goal scoring so the thing im unsure of is if who Buffalo would move there because I’d imagine Tuch and Cozens are off the table. We could go for more of a playmaker but they’d have to be dynamic in that sense.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
This is an odd post unless you’re really fixated on the 4+ years RH part.

Pre-prime defencemen the likes of which the Sabres need get traded for picks like this all the time: witness Chychrun, Hronek and Romanov all within the past year.
Chychrun and Romanov are both left handed. Hronek isn’t really known for his two-way play either. Probably a decent #4 with tons of flaws. Also a year away from UFA.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Pesce would be a great fit for Buffalo. I'm not sure he's worth what you'd hope to get for him with only 1 year left on his contract, though.

Reactions: Jacob582

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
So who’s available as a winger. I should emphasize that Canes are ideally looking for goal scoring so the thing im unsure of is if who Buffalo would move there because I’d imagine Tuch and Cozens are off the table. We could go for more of a playmaker but they’d have to be dynamic in that sense.
Olofsson would be the obvious answer, lethal shot, 27 years old former 7th round pick, with about 80 goals in 4 NHL seasons.
Has become a bit of a scapegoat for the overall weak defensive performance from sabres forwards, won't win many board battles but probably less of a problem on the canes?!
Similar prospect would be Rosen, looks a bit like Alfred E Neumann (without the smile) but can shoot the puck and skate, took him a while to get going after coming over from sweden but trending upwards.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

It'd be interesting if they knew they could extend him. One year of control without knowing that would be too much risk, but it's always possible.

Also, while a NYS guy, his hometown is in the Hudson Valley, about a six hour drive away from Buffalo (sorta like Raleigh to say Brunswick, GA or Wilmington, DE).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad