Value of: Pick #13. BUF looking for top 4 RD

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Chicago would never accept that as they probably have zero interest in Olofsson. The Jake McCabe return would suggest that Murphy could certainly fetch a 1st. Not sure why you think he isn't a top 4 defensemen though
He is on the 22-23 Hawks. He might be that on a contender. Not sure.

We (at least, I) want another one because championship teams often have top-4 caliber defense playing on their third pair. Sabres are ready to raise expectations and stakes.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nick Jensen sounds like a perfect fit to be honest.

Trevor van Riemsdyk could be a fit as well.

We had hopes of Jensen making it to UFA, but Washington getting him inked earlier put that dream to rest. I doubt the Caps would put him into a trade so soon after negotiating that deal which might be his last in the NHL. Have to figure he's settled, knows where he's going to be, will be around family and all that.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Neil Pionk is a 2 way RHS #4. 27 years old with a couple years left on his contract. Good skater. Good shot. Plays a feisty game. 13th overall is a high price to pay so maybe some extra parts needed.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I don't think it would work. Not at all a shot at EK - great player, love watching him, just that they already have a lot tied up in their future with Dahlin and Power as PMD's that EK would chunk up their payroll scale and also the situational ice time. They need someone more like what Vlasic was when Vlasic was Vlasic before he turned into... well, Vlasic now.

At $8.5 M x four years, he would be beyond tempting. At $11.5 M? Impossible. Next year we have tons of room. The issue is 2023-24 and beyond and signing Dahlin and Power which will take up $20M+ of cap. I assume. That would be $28.5 M with Karlsson. And Sammy gives you $33 M. A crazy good top 4. It's possible. You'd need some serious young and cheap talent for your 3rd pair on D which Sabres don't really have on then horizon unless Johnson signs or guys like Komorov/Lindgren/Novikov can become NHL players. Big ifs

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Definitely feel like Calgary could be the right pressure point this summer. Any of Andersson/Tanev/Weegar would make the Sabres better. None of them are ideally young, some aren't young at all. But they could all be that Top-4 RHD for the Sabres. The Flames are also obviously going to be looking to reconfigure their roster pretty significantly after the year they just had.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Tanev + 17th for 13th, 39th + 45th

4 spots in the draft and two 2nds for one of the best options to help develop a young, high end defenseman. Expiring contract but I think the right fit could squeeze a few more great year out of Tanev, at a reasonable rate.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Nick Jensen sounds like a perfect fit to be honest.

Trevor van Riemsdyk could be a fit as well.
There were rumblings Adams tried to acquire Jensen 2-3 times, but you guys chose to re-sign him.

4 spots in the draft and two 2nds for one of the best options to help develop a young, high end defenseman. Expiring contract but I think the right fit could squeeze a few more great year out of Tanev, at a reasonable rate.
Would love Tanev;

That value is ridiculously tilted for Calgary, and against Buffalo, so no go there.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
There were rumblings Adams tried to acquire Jensen 2-3 times, but you guys chose to re-sign him.

Would love Tanev;

That value is ridiculously tilted for Calgary, and against Buffalo, so no go there.
Is it really that tilted though? I'm thinking that teams would offer a 1st at the deadline, pretty easily.

The way I see it, the two 2nds basically equal the mid-late 1st that he'll most likely return at the deadline and the premium is 4 draft spots for the full season. Like I said, really can't think of someone I'd rather have paired with a young defender, that will someday be the cornerstone of the organization.

Last edited:

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Romanov got traded for the 13th last draft, so that's probably the type of defensemen you should probably be looking at.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Is it really that tilted though? I'm thinking that teams would offer a 1st at the deadline, pretty easily.
A playoff team might offer a late first, yeah.

When I was pondering Tanev trades, I was thinking Buf's 2nd (45) and Bryson, so we're way off if you're at 2 2nds, plus a pick swap of +4 to you.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
A playoff team might offer a late first, yeah.

When I was pondering Tanev trades, I was thinking Buf's 2nd (45) and Bryson, so we're way off if you're at 2 2nds, plus a pick swap of +4 to you.
Honestly, I'm thinking that with a couple of offseason moves, the Sabres should be in the playoff conversion.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Honestly, I'm thinking that with a couple of offseason moves, the Sabres should be in the playoff conversion.
Agreed. And there's definitely an angle if the value is right between CGY and BUF.

You have lots of D and are up against the cap.

We aren't and need D.

Sadly, this thread is a typical hfboards trade thread, so you get crap like Faulk for 13 and Kulich, and there's no analysis to be done on either side.

Ok. And now for something entirely different.

Rasmus Andersson and Dan Vladar for Alex Tuch.
Buffalo won't trade Tuch, even with how good Andersson's value is. Tuch is just too important to the post-Eichel anti-dickhead locker room vibes.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

True, which is the reason for the thread season over 13OA.

Agreed. And there's definitely an angle if the value is right between CGY and BUF.

You have lots of D and are up against the cap.

We aren't and need D.

Sadly, this thread is a typical hfboards trade thread, so you get crap like Faulk for 13 and Kulich, and there's no analysis to be done on either side.

You mean the laughably bad faith offers tossed off like one-liners for turds like Myers don't make for interesting conversation?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Calgary missed the playoffs…pick is at 16.

Tanev with just 1 yr left gets a late 1st at best at the deadline where the pick is 25-32 Or 2 2nds.

moving up from 16 to 13 costs a 2nd in a straight trade.

a more likely trade would be

39+45 for Tanev+small
or

13 +45 for 16+Tanev+small

Ok. And now for something entirely different.

Rasmus Andersson and Dan Vladar for Alex Tuch.
Tuch isn’t getting traded.

Last edited:

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
True, which is the reason for the thread season over 13OA.

You mean the laughably bad faith offers tossed off like one-liners for turds like Myers don't make for interesting conversation?
I'd love to have a coalition of guys from every team that actually gave good feedback, because most teams do that those guys on this forums.

I think the discussion on Matt Roy was interesting and not super far off.

Myers, Faulk, Petry for 13 when there's an Olofsson/Bryson for Petry thread a day old, yeah, that's the unfortunate garbage.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Calgary missed the playoffs…pick is at 16.

Tanev with just 1 yr left gets a late 1st at best at the deadline where the pick is 25-32 Or 2 2nds.

moving up from 16 to 13 costs a 2nd in a straight trade.

a more likely trade would be

39+45 for Tanev
or

13 +45 for 16+Tanev

Tuch isn’t getting traded.
As long as Tanev is healthy at the deadline, which obviously is never guaranteed with any player, we won't have a problem getting a 1st. He still has enough gas in the tank to be plugged in anywhere from bottom to top pairing, should need be. From a Flames perspective, there's really no reason to move him right now, unless the value is favorable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad