Phoenix XXIV: How many twists does the scriptwriter have left?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

billy blaze

May 31, 2009
Not sure how you got there from me commenting on a post that $70M wasn't "even the slightest bit of commitment to the market." Whether it's MH, RR, or Fugu putting $70M on the table, that's "significant" in my book.

it is significantly less than $97 million;)

Last edited:

ducks2010

I buy milk in bags
Apr 6, 2010
Has anyone seen the BIG promo add on the AZ Republic website?

It says 3 Coyote Tickets for $49. That's like $16 per ticket. No wonder this team is losing 40-45 million this season.

Its not just any 3 tickets, it includes a playoff ticket as well. A playoff ticket for $16. Are there some worries that Jobing will be empty during the playoffs?

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
Cashier: Hello, is that all today?
Some Guy: Yes. *places cake on counter*
Cashier: That will be $21.59 please.
Some Guy: Here you go. *drops pile of change into Cashier's hand*
Cashier: Sir, this is only $8.75.
Some Guy: Is that not a significant amount?
Cashier: Get out.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
Not sure how you got there from me commenting on a post that $70M wasn't "even the slightest bit of commitment to the market." Whether it's MH, RR, or Fugu putting $70M on the table, that's "significant" in my book.

its all about context....$70m is significant if you are buying a house.....it isnt significant if you are buying a parking lot worth $100m and an NHL hockey team supposedly worth at leat $140m.

its like showing up to the high rollers table with a handful of dollar chips....

mark chipman goes to gary and says, i've got $70m for a team...he gets laughed out of the room.

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
Not sure who to believe about this "documents" controversy. I've been in them myself. The other side of the coin is Clint Bolick supposedly told the CoG two months ago that he didn't need anything further from the City to understand and analyze this transaction. The GWI didn't respond to that allegation which makes me think perhaps it might be true. Now, put aside your position on relocation for a moment. Let's get to the meat of the matter. Do you believe that the GWI has lacked the necessary documents to figure out if the CoG owns the right to charge for parking. Seriously? The documents have been available since the Coyote's bankruptcy.

In every piece of litigation, you always want the otherside's documentation, and especially after you indicate the threat of litigation. I don't blame the GWI for making a continuing request for documents. But I think the issue will be, can the GWI explain the delay in it reaching an opinion on the legality of the transaction, even to this very day. Given the mountains of information publically available for weeks, I find it difficult to understand how anyone can truly believe this is a matter of the GWI operating with the good faith need for more information.

I hear people respond to my tortious interference argument by claiming that the GWI never said the deal was illegal or unconstitutional. Then I hear people argue that the GWI has decided that the deal is unconstitutional. I can only tell you that from what I observe here in Phoenix, IMO the public is beginning to scratch their heads at what the GWI is doing, and most people are questioning why the GWI is not taking any action. Frankly, public interest groups are held to a higher standard than what may be the very kind of gamesmenship that the GWI is supposed to stand against.

I don't know whether the CoG has concerns about the deal seeing the light of day through litigation. Maybe they have serious concerns. Perhaps the GWI has serious concerns that the public will see their tactic as a four corner drill. Since neither of us know the answer, nor do either of us know whether the CoG has recently (I mean the last several weeks) worked in good faith to provide the GWI will all the information they requested, we can speculate how we wish.

Again I am no lawyer. However, Goldwater went on record prior to the first vote on December 14th that they didn't feel this deal was good for the taxpayers of Glendale. They have also almost from day one said that they will not file suit until the deal is complete (bonds sold and final lease signed). This strategy was developed months ago. I just don't believe the GWI will change their strategy now just because the city underestimated their impact on this agreement and needs them too. I believe the next move belongs to the CoG, sell the bonds or kill the deal.

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
Again I am no lawyer. However, Goldwater went on record prior to the first vote on December 14th that they didn't feel this deal was good for the taxpayers of Glendale. They have also almost from day one said that they will not file suit until the deal is complete (bonds sold and final lease signed). This strategy was developed months ago. I just don't believe the GWI will change their strategy now just because the city underestimated their impact on this agreement and needs them too. I believe the next move belongs to the CoG, sell the bonds or kill the deal.
Or sue GWI first.

ATHF

行くジェット移動 !!
Jan 13, 2010

The problem is that it's not so significant when there are 8-10 investors involved in his group, meaning that it's wrong to suggest that Hulsizer is putting up the entire $70 mil out of his own pocket. The more likely scenario is that he's putting up $30mil or so with the rest of them throwing $5 mil apiece into the kitty to get up to filling in the difference with the bonds.

Someone putting $170 million of their own money into a team is significant when it comes to commitment. Hell, $100 million is significant. When you're getting down to around a third of the purchase price and it's not even all of his money, the argument that he is putting significant commitment into the market doesn't really hold any water.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Or sue GWI first.

Why they havent (COG) gone to court already, like a few weeks ago to seek a ruling, taken the fight to the GWI instead of messing around when the positions on both sides are so entrenched?, "I have no earthly idea". :help:

The problem is that it's not so significant when there are 8-10 investors involved in his group, meaning that it's wrong to suggest that Hulsizer is putting up the entire $70 mil out of his own pocket.

What the heck to make of that one?. Under ordinary circumstances, whereby an owner has a few partners Id say no problem, and expect a fairly healthy down with a minimum amount of financing, maybe a 60/40 split or whatever. But here, the rules are thrown out the window. We dont know who MH's minority partners are really; IEH is sorta/kinda confirmed but who knows?. Fact is, we know very little about Hulsizer's wherewithals & bona-fides. I cant imagine the NHL rejecting him after Glendales extraordinary support to get a deal done, but still, a lot of questions remain about this guy & who he's involved with.

ATHF

行くジェット移動 !!
Jan 13, 2010
What the heck to make of that one?. Under ordinary circumstances, whereby an owner has a few partners Id say no problem, and expect a fairly healthy down with a minimum amount of financing, maybe a 60/40 split or whatever. But here, the rules are thrown out the window. We dont know who MH's minority partners are really; IEH is sorta/kinda confirmed but who knows?. Fact is, we know very little about Hulsizer's wherewithals & bona-fides. I cant imagine the NHL rejecting him after Glendales extraordinary support to get a deal done, but still, a lot of questions remain about this guy & who he's involved with.

It goes even further than that when it comes to the questions as one of the biggest things in the COG vs. GWI dispute has been the paperwork. COG claims that GWI has enough of the documents to be able to discern whether the deal is legal or not, yet they are still making massive document dumps to GWI even this week. COG is also saying that any documents they're dropping off now are just regarding the details and that they shouldn't affect the GWI decision.

Isn't the ENTIRE crux of this deal in the details??

I mean there are still major points of this lease that are "to be determined", which is baffling considering how long that the two sides have been working on this. When you've got the Mayor answering a question about where the $97 mil for arena management is going to come from with a hearty "I don't know, that hasn't been figured out yet", I know that I would be wanting to pore over every single detail imaginable before making any litigious decisions.

Two years and there are STILL major gaps in the lease that was "approved" nearly three months ago. Absolutely unbelievable...

Veinless

Aug 23, 2005
How long until Glendale decides to purchase the bonds out of its strategic reserve money?

Sadly, this is only partially tongue-in-cheek.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Here's another hypothetical. I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL told the city, they wanted no part of more courtrooms in this matter. The city may be in a bigger bind then they are letting out. As long as the possibility exists of GW bringing this to court, how can the city sell the bonds, knowing the NHL will walk away?

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
...Iirc, he was going to give them that money even if he lost the ruling (which was likely).

The final offer was $25M, no strings attached. The other $25M was contingent on him getting the team and moving to Hamilton, and for the COG to give up its rights to bring any future legal action in the matter.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Just a quick question for those in the know, can anyone sue the COG over this lease with Hulsizer? GWI seems to be the watchdog but can any ordinary citizen sue the city over the deal? Secondly I like the Green Bay packers ownership idea, why doesn't the city just buy the team from the NHL and forget Hulsizer. Glendale could have a vote to see how many residents want to support the team through an additional tax or whatever. If 60% or more residents want to fund the team then it could be possible for the Coyotes to stay and it would be a better situation for the team and the NHL. Now this is just an idea, so don't crush my with life's realities to hard. I have always said that this whole situation would be fixed through one medium sized word that rhymes with smishsmanshion.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Secondly I like the Green Bay packers ownership idea, why doesn't the city just buy the team from the NHL and forget Hulsizer.

You may but no sports league does. No league has any interest in a political body owning a team because there is no single source for financial accountability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad