Phoenix LXXX: Is there another way out?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
a chilling portrait of things to be

tn.jpg

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
At $12M/year over 10 years (9% interest) they'd have $104M remaining. :laugh:

I guess the real question is if the interest is compounded annually. Even if it isn't, it's still ridiculous.

Wait a minute.... everyone says that it costs $6 million a year to actually run the arena (hence the AMF). So if they get $12 million a year, it leaves $6 million a year to pay back the loan.

The point is, that this is going to be so transparently a "gift" that if any entity wanted to challenge it legally, I can't see how it wouldn't get at least a good hearing.

I think we can now clearly see why Beasley so carefully guarded the actual cost of managing the Jobing.com. He knew that as soon as the actual costs were revealed, any large payment to the Coyotes owner for "arena management" would be an obvious "gift". If the RSE bid is anything like the one noted in the Forbes article, it makes it clear that the Glendale AMF is meant to pay down a loan that is being used to purchase the team.

Puckschmuck*

The optics of this deal give the distinct impression that Uncle Gary and Cousin Bill do not, under any circumstances, want Quebec City in the NHL.

Not. One. Bit.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
I watched the council meeting and was just wondering where all those Yotes supporters were this time?

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
The optics of this deal give the distinct impression that Uncle Gary and Cousin Bill do not, under any circumstances, want Quebec City in the NHL.

Not. One. Bit.

Or they are 100% confident that Glendale will die of laughter when the see an AMF twice what they've publicly and repeatedly stated they could afford. Maybe they're banking on the nut bag mayor spouting off his big mouth through his Kenny Rogers beard in his animal head office. Maybe all of that circus will give them a nice convenient forgivable out to Quebec.

You don't know. I don't know. About the only thing the terms of the deal coming to light show is that the RSE group doesn't actually have any money and is no different from all of the other clowns. We all assumed as much. Now we know. I wouldn't read much into any of it beyond that.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

Not. One. Bit.

I don't think that is the case, a lot of people(Including me) may think that Bettman does not like Quebec City. But the matter of fact is Glendale built a arena for the NHL and they also gave the NHL $50 million plus dollars and all the legal ******** they went through. I think the NHL owes this to Glendale, to give them time and every opportunity to succeed. You can say that Gary Bettman did not do enough to save the Jets and the Nords but matter of the fact is that Winnipeg and Quebec City did not hand the NHL 50 plus million dollars. But the way the NHL has played Glendale is awful, when the NHL need handouts from other cities for arena the city may look at this and tell the NHL off or maybe not because in 10 years no one will Remember expect for Glendale, the NHL and Hfboards.

Last edited:

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Can't you just say that you for some reason believe all of these completely and utterly unrelated events mean the NHL is moving to Seattle? Why the images?

the little totem dog was cute, that's why

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Not. One. Bit.

Do you think the new 18K seat arena currently being constructed in QC is for the exclusive use of the cirque du soleil?

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Did you even read the article? Not a single person says a deal is likely, only that they are trying to work towards a solution. Status quo.

Correct, but if the mayor said they wouldn't go over the $6 million one has to wonder what's with Sherwood saying, with respect to the difference between the $6 million and whatever it is this latest reincarnation of the Ice Edge Clowns wants, "we're working on it." Is he or does he think he's so powerful that he can basically tell the mayor to step aside, as he's working on increasing the management fee? :shakehead

“The issue now is the same as it was yesterday,†Glendale councilmember Gary Sherwood said. “It’s bridging the gap on the arena management fee. I don’t know if we can get there, but we’re working on it.â€
:help:

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Gary is sure fighting hard to not let Quebec get their team back.

If a Canadian team lost the type of money that Phoenix does annually & the NHL owned them due to bankruptcy they would be gone in a second.

I am still stunned that he even allowed Winnipeg to purchase the Thrashers despite the success & fan support in Winnipeg for the team.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Correct, but if the mayor said they wouldn't go over the $6 million one has to wonder what's with Sherwood saying, with respect to the difference between the $6 million and whatever it is this latest reincarnation of the Ice Edge Clowns wants, "we're working on it." Is he or does he think he's so powerful that he can basically tell the mayor to step aside, as he's working on increasing the management fee? :shakehead

:help:

If the Forbes article is correct, then the only way to "bridge the gap" that would be acceptable to the RSE group would be to increase the direct AMF. That seems like a "no go" with the status of the Glendale budget. The notion of looking a a range of other vague revenue streams seems completely unrealistic if they are meant to secure and pay back a loan.

As someone mentioned earlier, this has all the hallmarks of an IEH type of deal. Next thing you know we'll be hearing about home games in Saskatoon.

enarwpg

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Gary is sure fighting hard to not let Quebec get their team back.

If a Canadian team lost the type of money that Phoenix does annually & the NHL owned them due to bankruptcy they would be gone in a second.

I am still stunned that he even allowed Winnipeg to purchase the Thrashers despite the success & fan support in Winnipeg for the team.

I think Bettman allowed the sale to Chipman because the 23rd richest person on the planet is co-owner; and probably at way more than 50%.....

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
MOD

Furthermore, I think someone else weighs into this... I'm leaning towards NBC... There are 7 canadian teams and 23 US teams... If relocation to Canada happens, that brings the number down as to the chance of games that NBC is able to broadcast Nationally on US television... Correct?

Sometimes I wonder if the NHL needs to offer something to NBC to shut them up too

Last edited by a moderator:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
If the Forbes article is correct, then the only way to "bridge the gap" that would be acceptable to the RSE group would be to increase the direct AMF. That seems like a "no go" with the status of the Glendale budget. The notion of looking a a range of other vague revenue streams seems completely unrealistic if they are meant to secure and pay back a loan.

Pretty crazy eh? If as speculated earlier Fortress was also involved in Jamisons bid, and if the terms were essentially the same as the one reported by Forbes, how is it that he failed to close by January 31st? Surely the NHL would have offered insider Greg the same sort of package as Renaissance. And yet, he couldnt cobble together around $48M or so?... at anyrate, Im just seeing this as entire non-starter. Will not pass through Council, no increase will be forthcoming, there will no guarantee's if a CFD's proposed, and even IF the COG had the money, the details & triangulations of this sale, well, its truly ludicrous. And supposedly its Kosher with the BOG's? If so, the lot of them should be ashamed of themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad