Phoenix CXXIII: Who Wants to Pay Our Bills?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruins1233

Apr 30, 2016
Usually even geographic sports rivalries are fueled by a rivalry between the cities of some sort. Edmontonians and Calgarians fight over more than just sports. Even LA and Anaheim have some dislike for each other despite the fact that there are people who live in one and work in the other. Is there anything between Phoenix and Vegas?

I also think Vegas would rather have Phoenix empty (maybe put their AHL team in Glendale) and tap into whatever base of NHL fans are left.

Not necessarily, Bostonians and New Yorkers get along in real life. Most people in Boston and Montreal love the other city, those are pure sport.
I'm sure the hatred between Nevada and Las Vegas runs deep, back to the Colorado River Compact that robbed Arizona of their rightful share of the river.
Also isn't UNLV vs ASU a rivalry?

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
The only idea I really have that makes sense is that, since the entire Senate is a "Committee of the Whole", and, as CF says, that means the full Senate can do whatever it wants, that Worsley is arranging some amendments.

Now, what exactly that would be, I don't know. But, it seems possible (I would not say likely, only possible) that his amendments enable his own project, and that the Coyotes have been cut out somehow.

I say that for 2 reasons:
1- A bill voted down is bad enough publicity that it makes next year's efforts much harder. It's easier for Axiom, IA to say "We didn't have enough time to fully develop our idea last year...." For this reason, if I am LeBlanc, I would prefer to be left out, or amended out, than to be defeated.

2- I am sure Worsley is more concerned for his own project than he is for the Yotes.

But, again, this is just a possibility.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Usually even geographic sports rivalries are fueled by a rivalry between the cities of some sort. Edmontonians and Calgarians fight over more than just sports. Even LA and Anaheim have some dislike for each other despite the fact that there are people who live in one and work in the other. Is there anything between Phoenix and Vegas?

I also think Vegas would rather have Phoenix empty (maybe put their AHL team in Glendale) and tap into whatever base of NHL fans are left.

then why put in the effort into Tucson, then, I don't think anyone wants Glendale the way they've operated toward the Coyotes, much less putting the affiliate in jeopardy, maybe different if there weren't two ownership groups and the way Sarver and the Suns keep stalling the hockey team just as they've done since '03, hence why you'll never see the split TSRA property, leaving Phoenix metro probably, in hindsight, was the best option for the Coyotes, but who knew the ownership was that desperate to place a franchise into BK, MUCH LESS AS TO WHAT STARTED ALL OF THIS THEN.

Dirty Old Man

Old but not really dirty
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Not necessarily, Bostonians and New Yorkers get along in real life. Most people in Boston and Montreal love the other city, those are pure sport.
I'm sure the hatred between Nevada and Las Vegas runs deep, back to the Colorado River Compact that robbed Arizona of their rightful share of the river.
Also isn't UNLV vs ASU a rivalry?

From a 20-year Arizona resident: for us Vegas is a fun place to go gamble and/or go to shows, everything else is pretty similar: weather, homes, golf...no animosity whatsoever; from my cousin, a 25-year LV resident: Phoenix is a lot like here, minus the strip and downtown, nothing we can't do there that we can't do here, and vice versa. No animosity whatsoever.

UNLV and ASU...no rivalry whatsoever. UNLV doesn't have football, and ASU has never cared about basketball enough, from the days when UNLV was good...there may have been a rivalry at one time between U of A and UNLV for basketball, but that predates my time in AZ.

If we both had NHL teams that became rivals, it would be new territory (well, besides the water thing, that would only take place at the state government level, and which 'ordinary' people wouldn't notice: "You have enough water?" "Yep, you?" "Yup." "Okay then, cool.")

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
. . . I'm sure the hatred between Nevada and Las Vegas runs deep, back to the Colorado River Compact that robbed Arizona of their rightful share of the river.

Whoa, a water rights conflict in the American West? Now you're talkin' damn near war! The metal flying in a fight like that too hot for even the Mob. Now that's a rivalry!

Last edited by a moderator:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
From a 20-year Arizona resident: for us Vegas is a fun place to go gamble and/or go to shows, everything else is pretty similar: weather, homes, golf...no animosity whatsoever; from my cousin, a 25-year LV resident: Phoenix is a lot like here, minus the strip and downtown, nothing we can't do there that we can't do here, and vice versa. No animosity whatsoever.

I'd agree with this. I think we'll have a pure sport-based rivalry since we're such close neighbors, but if you ask me, the real hatred Vegas is going to have is going to be for Los Angeles (a hatred the Coyotes can very easily share).

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'd agree with this. I think we'll have a pure sport-based rivalry since we're such close neighbors, but if you ask me, the real hatred Vegas is going to have is going to be for Los Angeles (a hatred the Coyotes can very easily share).

I think Vegas dislikes LA, but LA will never think of Vegas as a city city.

I personally dislike Phoenix, but most people here don't think about Phoenix unless they've got family there. It could develop into a Seattle/Portland thing, I guess. Similar climates, similar people, etc. Sports might develop that.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
So, no real word of anything concrete happening yet today?

The Mob rubbing out an Arizona state legislator and a brewing range war not enough for ya for one day? :)

Rules Committee meets in 20 minutes and could schedule Worsley's bill for a vote later this week, or conceivably even later today if it looks like they'll get through everything else. I'll post if I see either of those.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
And, no news of anyone changing sides, except the press conference canceled?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
And, no news of anyone changing sides, except the press conference canceled?

No, no new news as of the time stamp on this post... just did a search... did note that trade between the Wild & Coyotes though, Teemu Pulkkinen to the Coyotes for future considerations basically. Pulkkinen appearing in only 9 Wild games this year, great AHL level player but after several seasons of failed attempts, not NHL caliber... so gee, isnt that sweet, ta Hell with the Coyotes, IA padding their Roadrunners roster.... thinking ahead to when their well & truly on the outside looking in which insofar as Im concerned cant happen soon enough.... Punch Imlach back in the 60's pulled similar stunts under the noses of Leafs owners Harold Ballard & Stafford Smythe. Imlach owned parts of the Leafs minor-pro clubs & would make bizarre trades, in some cases keeping NHL caliber players down in order to improve his own bottom line in Vancouver with the WHL Canucks & elsewhere or grab guys like Pulkkinen who were good AHL'rs but couldnt make the jump to the NHL, running contrary to the development premise as to why youd have a minor league club in the 1st place..

Last edited:

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
No, no new news as of the time stamp on this post... just did a search... did note that trade between the Wild & Coyotes though, Teemu Pulkkinen to the Coyotes for future considerations basically. Pulkkinen appearing in only 9 Wild games this year, great AHL level player but after several seasons of failed attempts, not NHL caliber... so gee, isnt that sweet, ta Hell with the Coyotes, IA padding their Roadrunners roster.... thinking ahead to when their well & truly on the outside looking in which insofar as Im concerned cant happen soon enough.... Punch Imlach back in the 60's pulled similar stunts under the noses of Leafs owners Harold Ballard & Stafford Smythe. Imlach owned parts of the Leafs minor-pro clubs & would make bizarre trades, in some cases keeping NHL caliber players down in order to improve his own bottom line in Vancouver with the WHL Canucks & elsewhere or grab guys like Pulkkinen who were good AHL'rs but couldnt make the jump to the NHL, running contrary to the development premise as to why youd have a minor league club in the 1st place..

The Hanzal/White trade and the retirement of Doan will likely leave the young GM with a salary cap dilemma. Where are they going to find the Fa`s to eat up space and get the team to the minimum cap level? More retired contracts?

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
So, no real word of anything concrete happening yet today?

Just checked the leg. website to see if any new bills are scheduled yet. Nothing. But just for fun, I saw this:

Sen. Lesko has a bill on the floor today that would let merchants write bad debts off of their totals due to the state for the AZ transaction privilege tax. You'll remember that when LeBlanc first discussed going to the legislature for a new arena, but before the ASU partnership plan, he talked about using proceeds from the transaction privilege tax to fund it.

Now I just wonder who in any currently contemplated developments might be a candidate for having "bad debts" the state might want to protect other businesses against? :naughty:

Just causing trouble here. No new real news at the legislature, yet.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
If this is the team indeed getting what they want, they would have supernatural abilities to defy logic and get people to act against their organization/government body's interest in favor of the Coyotes, although that doesn't seem to extend to drawing casual fans :laugh: . Looks like we might have to crack what happened in the missing 18 1/2 hours or uncover the insidious Canadian compromat operation the NHL is running on AZ legislators. :help:

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
then why put in the effort into Tucson, then, I don't think anyone wants Glendale the way they've operated toward the Coyotes, much less putting the affiliate in jeopardy, maybe different if there weren't two ownership groups and the way Sarver and the Suns keep stalling the hockey team just as they've done since '03, hence why you'll never see the split TSRA property, leaving Phoenix metro probably, in hindsight, was the best option for the Coyotes, but who knew the ownership was that desperate to place a franchise into BK, MUCH LESS AS TO WHAT STARTED ALL OF THIS THEN.
Hutch, Get off Tucson and the AHL.... It will have no bearing, zero, none, nada, zilch, nyet. If the team moved it will be moved regardless of the status of Tucson. The AHL franchise is merely an asset.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Last edited:

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
... Llama?... you could go into the Bikini Lounge on Grand & get better informed opinions from the Walking Dead patrons of that Mother Of All Dive Bars than the 99 seconds of stupid I just sat through with those two. :rolleyes:

Uh . . . Llama's not answering. Apparently's still at the Bikini Lounge trying to gather some better intelligence.

You're right, those two said nothing here, but to his credit, Craig Harris did give us some sense that Senate leadership opposes this thing in that article that I think Wildcat found. Interviewed several apparent No votes among them.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Uh . . . Llama's not answering. Apparently's still at the Bikini Lounge trying to gather some better intelligence.

... well, he's a goner then... Cloven One... told him to stay away from that place... starts into those Freaky Tiki's & Lava Lava's... game over...
might re-surface on the 3rd day of his usual 7 day binges but I wouldnt bet on it....................... www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRKsF17wY30

... cant say I blame him though, can you imagine caring & then living with that waking nightmare down there day after day, month after month.... year after year?

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
... well, he's a goner then... Cloven One... told him to stay away from that place... starts into those Freaky Tiki's & Lava Lava's... game over...
might re-surface on the 3rd day of his usual 7 day binges but I wouldnt bet on it....................... www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRKsF17wY30

... cant say I blame him though, can you imagine caring & then living with that waking nightmare down there day after day, month after month.... year after year?

Is he the first one we've lost to this epic - you know, to the relentless waves of crazy news, the bizarre twists and turns, the stress?

Well, I guess there was Mayor Scruggs. And Tindall. And Hulsizer. And . . .

Never mind.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Only a government would be that fiscally irresponsible.

When you consider how many WESTERN local and state governments have quashed public financing of stadia and arenas, when you consider where the NHL is headed...

...THAT is why we're still dallying in Arizona. Both sides of this issue are either dumb, incompetent, or ambitious enough to keep making this a thing.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
... Llama?... you could go into the Bikini Lounge on Grand & get better informed opinions from the Walking Dead patrons of that Mother Of All Dive Bars than the 99 seconds of Stupid I just sat through with those two. :rolleyes:

... but thx, for the link, I guess...

You're right, those two said nothing here, but to his credit, Craig Harris did give us some sense that Senate leadership opposes this thing in that article that I think Wildcat found. Interviewed several apparent No votes among them.

Is he the first one we've lost to this epic - you know, to the relentless waves of crazy news, the bizarre twists and turns, the stress?

Well, I guess there was Mayor Scruggs. And Tindall. And Hulsizer. And . . .

Never mind.

Wha...What happened...wher...where I am...

Ooohhh...my head...that wench...she must have slipped me something...

Car broke down...no cell service...went in to make a call to AAA...had to use the bar phone...wait an hour or so until they would get here...sat at the bar, ordered milk...she sat down next to me...started talking...couple of minutes later...no idea what happened...

Wait...what did I post...don't remember...head's foggy...she must have used my laptop while I was out of it...

Wait...where's my wallet...she fleeced me, too... :D

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
The only idea I really have that makes sense is that, since the entire Senate is a "Committee of the Whole", and, as CF says, that means the full Senate can do whatever it wants, that Worsley is arranging some amendments.

The arena bill is up in the full Senate tomorrow. Expected time for the floor session is 1:30, but I'll verify that. I have a tentative list of supporters/opponents to post, but have to catch some hockey on the tube first. After 1st intermission.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
The arena bill is up in the full Senate tomorrow. Expected time for the floor session is 1:30, but I'll verify that. I have a tentative list of supporters/opponents to post, but have to catch some hockey on the tube first. After 1st intermission.

This one is against it...

Jenna Bentley, BARRY GOLDWATER INSTITUTE FOR PUBLIC POLICY RESEARCH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad