Phoenix CXXIII: Who Wants to Pay Our Bills?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Why would a tribe finance an arena and then funnel all the income to a hockey team?

The problem for the Coyotes is not a lack of dirt in Arizona, it's owning a business that needs someone to build a $400m building for it and then provide ongoing subsidies for its operating losses. Only a government would be that fiscally irresponsible.

Hence the press conference to help come out against it...

Yeah...I do not see the tribe financing this group with other than a 'pile of dirt'...the rest of the financial burden will be on the shoulders of LeBlanc to carry...which is highly unlikely, given the history...

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Is anyone else concerned that the existence of this press conference this morning is an indication that, somehow, Axiom has worked magic over the weekend, and the bill now has votes for passage?

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Is anyone else concerned that the existence of this press conference this morning is an indication that, somehow, Axiom has worked magic over the weekend, and the bill now has votes for passage?

OK...now I am concerned as it has been relayed to me that the press conference has been cancelled with no reason given...

:popcorn:

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I would think that, if the bill were absolutely destined to fail, there would be no need for a presser by the side that is opposed.

Since one was scheduled, and then cancelled, I have no idea what to think.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012

If they have the votes to pass this bill to build a new arena, I'm thinking IA, Worsley, and Axiom should ride that momentum while they have it, and introduce another bill to build a second new arena, just in case the economics for IA don't work out in the first one, like it didn't work in Glendale. Gotta have a backup plan . . .

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

... err, not so fast...

OK...now I am concerned as it has been relayed to me that the press conference has been cancelled with no reason given...

:popcorn:

Ths whole thing is crazy...

... yep. insanity. posted on Friday, cancelled this morning at like 5am... what on earth is going on here?... Axiom get to these people with compromising photographs or what? My God Arizona. Dont know if your coming or going or what. :laugh:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
... err, not so fast...

... yep. insanity. posted on Friday, cancelled this morning at like 5am... what on earth is going on here?... Axiom get to these people with compromising photographs or what? My God Arizona. Dont know if your coming or going or what. :laugh:

The Fox10 article has been updated with:

"State Representative Anthony Kern has been a major opponent of the the bill. He and other local activists are fighting to keep the team where they currently are, adding that tax payers are still footing the bill for the arena, not to mention businesses around it will suffer if the Coyotes move and the arena competes with more venues for other shows.

Kern and his supporters were to hold news conference at 10:00 a.m. in the rose garden at the state capitol, but it has been postponed."

Still no word as to why...

Hmmm...maybe Axiom does have pictures... ;)

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
The Fox10 article has been updated with:

"State Representative Anthony Kern has been a major opponent of the the bill. He and other local activists are fighting to keep the team where they currently are, adding that tax payers are still footing the bill for the arena, not to mention businesses around it will suffer if the Coyotes move and the arena competes with more venues for other shows.

Kern and his supporters were to hold news conference at 10:00 a.m. in the rose garden at the state capitol, but it has been postponed."

Still no word as to why...

What time does the Senate convene to vote on bills today? Not 1149, but other bills?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Personally, it would be a bit disappointing if this saga didn't continue to drag out ad infinitum, so I kind of hope that the bill passes and IA continues to try to finagle partners and a plan for this.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
What time does the Senate convene to vote on bills today? Not 1149, but other bills?

1:30, I believe. Also, Rules meets at 1:00, where it could make some decisions about when SB1149 comes to the floor. But it doesn't look like it will be today.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Isn't IA just a loud passenger on this bill ? I mean it's all about Worsley and his wife's theater or what ever they have in plans in Mesa.

... thats what Im thinkin, Worsleys' concert Hall, absolutely. I do not trust that guy. Theres just no way objectively anyone could possibly have arrived at the conclusions that he did & then authored a Bill like this. No way.

... clearly somethings occurred between Friday afternoon & Sunday evening and at a rather critical juncture. Mind reels between speculating that the proponents of the Bill have decided to drop it after all hence the cancellation of the Press Conference
to thinking mebbe Kern & Company have been "got at" somehow, some horse trading of some kind, vote trading or whatever, dropping their opposition in exchange for Worsley & others support of Bills Kern & Co want to see passed. No idea. :dunno:

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
... err, not so fast...

And always too soon. Maybe presser is now a "we can't believe they did it anyway" presser. A CYA move instead of a this is a dumb idea presser. Regardless the possibilities are being pared down and the runway is coming to an end.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Im genuinely beginning to believe this will never be over, never... ever. In 20yrs, Arizona home to the highest concentration of vacated arenas on the planet. Glendale, Tempe, Surprise, Peoria... :(

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
... Axiom get to these people with compromising photographs or what?

Could be a lot more consequential than some embarrassing pictures, there, Killion. Let's see, Vegas wants a viable franchise in AZ as a natural rival. Hmm, Vegas . . . the Mob . . . . ghost of Bugsy Segal. One of his boys puts the arm on Rep. Kern there, press conference "postponed." Same dude's probably talking to the Rules Committee members as we speak. There's a new boss in town in the NHL now, and it ain't Gary Bettman!

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Could be a lot more consequential than some embarrassing pictures, there, Killion. Let's see, Vegas wants a viable franchise in AZ as a natural rival. Hmm, Vegas . . . the Mob . . . . ghost of Bugsy Segal. One of his boys puts the arm on Rep. Kern there, press conference "postponed." Same dude's probably talking to the Rules Committee members as we speak. There's a new boss in town in the NHL now, and it ain't Gary Bettman!

Well...here in the desert...there are lots of places where 'piles of dirt' are available to then fill back in the holes...if you know what I mean... :naughty:

aqib

Feb 13, 2012

Usually even geographic sports rivalries are fueled by a rivalry between the cities of some sort. Edmontonians and Calgarians fight over more than just sports. Even LA and Anaheim have some dislike for each other despite the fact that there are people who live in one and work in the other. Is there anything between Phoenix and Vegas?

I also think Vegas would rather have Phoenix empty (maybe put their AHL team in Glendale) and tap into whatever base of NHL fans are left.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

... nah, theres gotta be pictures too in this story, has to be... like how the Mob had photo's of the cross-dressing J. Edgar Hoover camping it up at a hotel in NYC, terrified they'd be released, blackmailed, disavowing the very existence of organized crime & the Mafia in the United States, left them alone for over 30yrs... but of course who himself had dozens of file cabinets locked away with photographs, audio tapes & documents on just about everyone who was anyone... but I fear our imaginations are running away with us. This Im sure far less sophisticated, much more mundane, pedestrian..... you Minnesota Boys... sure do love a good Conspiracy Theory huh?.... including the Paranormal, Hauntings... Cryptids.... Time Travel... Ufology... :squint: ...

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I couldn't understand why that presser anyway. He did the same thing when it was coming out of committee, and then it like this: "This bill is a terrible idea, and we just want that information out there."

In this case, for all we know, the bill has way too much opposition to pass, so there is no need for a presser. Just let the thing fail....

But, to announce one.... Why? I don't get that.

To not have one makes sense if you are on the winning side.

But, to call one and then cancel it? I have no idea the motivation behind that.

And, yes Worsley - the bill is really about his own project....

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
I couldn't understand why that presser anyway. He did the same thing when it was coming out of committee, and then it like this: "This bill is a terrible idea, and we just want that information out there."

In this case, for all we know, the bill has way too much opposition to pass, so there is no need for a presser. Just let the thing fail....

Not surprising as nothing makes sense about this saga!

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
Why would a tribe finance an arena and then funnel all the income to a hockey team?

The problem for the Coyotes is not a lack of dirt in Arizona, it's owning a business that needs someone to build a $400m building for it and then provide ongoing subsidies for its operating losses. Only a government would be that fiscally irresponsible.

Well, businesses can be so epically fiscally irresponsible, they destroy themselves. In the '90s, there were a few chains that went under because they overexpanded or went on an acquisition spree, only to end up bursting like the giant boa constrictor that swallowed too big a prey. Or they bankroll a project with too big costs and too little return, as which destroyed some movie production companies. The difference is getting a business to subsidize another business; that's where usually it's the government being that irresponsible (when it occurs in business, usually it's a company the CEO owns, parasitizing the one company to help out his own, as the Sears CEO seems to be doing).

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

Didn't they have annouce a presser just after the bill was filed and ASU pulled out shortly thereafter?

Now they pressed forward with it anyways since the bill is still alive.

So on one level it makes sense to have one if they feel it will pass. Part of me thinks it's going to be close. The yes side (Worsley, IA, Axion) would continue the push for the yes side so the presser would be to rally the no side.

But I agree to cancel it so suddenly? Perhaps, they know there are enough votes to kill it and this will be a redundant excersice.

I still think it will fail but be close...offical prediction by ...me.....fails 16-14.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad