Player Discussion Phillip Danault: What's My Line Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Last night Danault was very invisible. One of his worst games of the year.
He's played good lately, just cant buy a goal.
His shot wouldnt break a plane of glass.

Reactions: BLONG7

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I mean there is nobody that can fill his shoes. The habs would not be better out of it.

Have you watched so far this year?...Evans is thoroughly outplaying Danault on both sides of the puck and Suzuki is already becoming a very good 200ft. player (Kotkaniemi is getting there as well)...the Myth that we can't survive without Danault is just that, a Myth...imo, Sam Bennett would look better on our 3rd line than PD right now and moving forward...

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
That 3rd goal was a 3 on 2 because of a lazy change. Danault was past centre ice before 2 out of the 3 Leafs players involved on that play, but he glided back for a change and the Habs never recovered.

How many players have got their first NHL goal against the Habs. We honestly are a good luck charm for rookies..on other teams.

Reactions: angusyoung

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
I mean there is nobody that can fill his shoes. The habs would not be better out of it.
This version of Danault? That one we’ve seen so far this year? Yeah, Evans can replace him on the third line. Wouldn’t be ideal but that just speaks to level of play Danault has shown this year.

Now, if Danault decided to put his ego aside and wear his big boy pants and started to work again, then he would be a valuable asset to the lineup. Until then, he’s just a guy that can win 50% of his face offs while being a black hole offensively and now weak defensively as well.

besides, who says we can’t trade him for another 3rd line Center? One that is actually prepared to work?

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Have you watched so far this year?...Evans is thoroughly outplaying Danault on both sides of the puck and Suzuki is already becoming a very good 200ft. player (Kotkaniemi is getting there as well)...the Myth that we can't survive without Danault is just that, a Myth...imo, Sam Bennett would look better on our 3rd line than PD right now and moving forward...
But what about faceoffs! You know because Suzuki is 40 percent but Claude still plays hin with 1 minute left in the game.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Damn the anti Phil is strong on this board.

People are ridiculous sometime. Danault is not the sole reason of our shit play lately. I could actually scape goat at least 3 players that is doind worse.

I am no uber fan of him but he has an important role right now. Good thing for us that Suzuki is stepping up! It does not mean we need to trade Phil ASAP and all our problems are fixed.

The thing we have to ask ourselve is do we have better option than Phil right now (outside our lineup) and the answer is no. Just trading Danault to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick is not a smart option if you want the habs to make a push for the playoff.

This situation reminds me of Lars Eller. He was also scapegoated as having no offensive talent and we traded him away for a couple picks. He stiĺl would have helped in a diminished role but oh boy we needed these 2nd round picks so bad!

Case in point: his play has been subpar he might need to be moved down the squad but we are not better without him in the lineup.

Last edited:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Besides, who says we can’t trade him for another 3rd line Center? One that is actually prepared to work?
I like your enthusiasm but that is speculation and very rarely team would trade core player for pending UFA midway through the season.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Faceoff Percentage - 2021
Phillip Danault -
52.09%
Jake Evans - 50.67%

Yup, I can see what makes Danault soooo irreplaceable...:skeptic:
Danault is not irreplaceable but he has a role. Maybe people should actually look at the big picture instead of wanting everyone out.

Reactions: dgeezus

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Damn the anti Phil is strong on this board.

People are ridiculous sometime. Danault is not the sole reason of our shit play lately. I could actually scape goat at least 3 players that is doind worse.

I am no uber fan of him but he has an important role right now. Good thing for us that Suzuki is stepping up! It does not mean we need to trade Phil ASAP and all our problems are fixed.

The thing we have to ask ourselve is do we can have better option than Phil right now (outside our lineup) and the answer is no. Just trading Danault to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick is not a smart option if you want the habs to make a push for the playoff.

This situation reminds me of Lars Eller. He was also scapegoated as having no offensive talent and we traded him away for a couple picks. He stiĺl would have helped in a diminished role but oh boy we needed these 2nd round picks so bad!

Case in point: his play has been subpar he might need to be moved down the squad but we are not better without him in the lineup.

I loved Lars and still regret that trade and if Danault just concentrated on being an Elite #3C then we'd be fine; He created this monster with his running to the press and whining about not being given Top 6 money and guaranteed Top 6 minutes, and then playing like complete ratshyte...and yes, we can replace him as his play has diminished rather startlingly and Evans has picked it up, not to mention we'd of course have to trade him for a live body that could replace some of what he's supposed to bring to the table...again, Bennett from Calgary is said to be unhappy and, according to alot of Calgary fans, they've been looking to move Monahan to wing to see if he's more effective there on a regular basis...so all 3 of our young centres are getting better defensively & on faceoffs and Bennett would add some much needed physicality to our bottom 6, not to mention the kid plays like he'd skate through a wall for his teammates...point is, if Danault is unhappy, playing like garbage, and yet is still wanting to hold the team basically hostage at the end of the year to get his contract, we need to cut bait and get what we can for him...

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Many people are, others are just refusing to grant that they actually have a point and a discussion, at least, has to be had...
But what point exactly? That if we move up Evans to play with Tatar and Gallagher then all the problems are fixed? The same Evans that has barely 20 games of experience in the NHL?

For the Bennett vs Danault trade, why would Calgary do it? What is their incentative to get a pending UFA? They would rather keep a disgruntled asset than to trade him away.

As for Danault asking to be a top 6 player. It does not mater at all. He might want to play top 6 but it does mean he will get it with any NHL team. He has everything to lose right now with his subpar play and his contractual situation.

I personally see him as a valuable player in the long run but obviously not in a top 6 role and I don't think ANY team at this point would see differently than that.

He is throwing money away every game on his next deal because of his bad play. How does this affect us? We might be able to retain him at a way cheaper deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad