Player Discussion Phillip Danault: What's My Line Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
What a rough start for this guy. He must be going to bed these days wondering what the hell he was thinking turning down that cash.

He's a multi-millionaire, playing a kids game for a living. He's made over $15 million dollars in his career so far. He'll never have to work a real job a day in his life. If he has any sense, he's loving life.

Gomez loved sucking while running out the final years of his 80 million dollar contract, or whatever it was. Easy money.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
hard to believe just how poor his season start has been...

is the pressure of playing for a contract getting to him that much?
is he playing hurt?
did he totally mail it in during the offseason and is physically unprepared?

shocking how much his performance and compete level have been trending in the wrong direction...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He's a multi-millionaire, playing a kids game for a living. He's made over $15 million dollars in his career so far. He'll never have to work a real job a day in his life. If he has any sense, he's loving life.

Gomez loved sucking while running out the final years of his 80 million dollar contract, or whatever it was. Easy money.
He's not going to be thinking about any of that when it comes contract time and he's offered up far less than what he turned down.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's not going to be thinking about any of that when it comes contract time and he's offered up far less than what he turned down.

He should be thinking about that.

Anybody who tells themselves they need another $30 million dollars, when they already have 10 or 15 or more million dollars in the bank, is deluding themselves.

When you take a gamble, sometimes you lose. But if you have 15 million in the bank, who gives a shit if you lose.

Reactions: bsl

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Anybody who tells themselves they need another $30 million dollars, when they already have 10 or 15 or more million dollars in the bank, is deluding themselves.

When you take a gamble, sometimes you lose. But if you have 15 million in the bank, who gives a shit if you lose.
I think pretty much everyone would.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
@RationalExpectations Tell us more about how Danault is playing well defensively this season and the "fact" that he's our second best C this season...

which goal is danault s fault ? This board is really hard on him while being surprisingly soft on other players. Suzuki is already better offensively yet he is the one turning the puck over on the first goal, he still makes rookie mistakes because he is so young. Some of KK s puck losses could have resultee in goal too. Evans has been better than expected but nowhere near top 6 material.

you can flame Danault and flame me but the fact is that he is the only veteran C on this team and even playing worse than last year allows him to be in my opinion MTL second C right now.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
which goal is danault s fault ? This board is really hard on him while being surprisingly soft on other players. Suzuki is already better offensively yet he is the one turning the puck over on the first goal, he still makes rookie mistakes because he is so young. Some of KK s puck losses could have resultee in goal too. Evans has been better than expected but nowhere near top 6 material.

you can flame Danault and flame me but the fact is that he is the only veteran C on this team and even playing worse than last year allows him to be in my opinion MTL second C right now.

Danault is the new scapegoat.

Suzuki, KK and Evans all surpassed him already and he should be on the 4th line according to some posters on this board...

In the last 4 games, KK and Evans have no points, Suzuki has 1 point and Danault has 2 points but all we hear is how much Danault sucks.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016

How does he have $15 million in the bank?

Have his investments surpassed his consumption and taxes?

Very curious about how you have such intimate knowledge of his highly successful wealth planning.

Also never got the “not a real job” saying. Makes no sense. Like it or not it takes hard work, and if it was easy everyone would do it.

You probably make much more doing less though, because you have all the answers.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
He should be thinking about that. Anybody who tells themselves they need another $30 million dollars, when they already have 10 or 15 or more million dollars in the bank, is deluding themselves. When you take a gamble, sometimes you lose. But if you have 15 million in the bank, who gives a shit if you lose.

That's not how it works. It's human nature to take what you have for granted and to want more.

You mentioned how Danault is loving life because of the money he makes, but the same can be applied to the common folks. If you don't consider yourself in that same situation, then realize that there are billions of people (there are a lot of poor people out there) in the world that would think that you are in the same situation (loving life) since your financial situation is much better than theirs.

I'm sure if you lost out on several thousands of dollars, it wouldn't make you happy. It's the same thing for Danault except it's millions instead.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

Suzuki, KK and Evans all surpassed him already and he should be on the 4th line according to some posters on this board...

In the last 4 games, KK and Evans have no points, Suzuki has 1 point and Danault has 2 points but all we hear is how much Danault sucks.

agreed. I think some people were believing so much that MTL was a contender and Suzuki was the new Crosby that they have become desilusional and are searching for scapegoats.

for me there are two responsibles : coach and GM. MTL has missed the playoffs three years in a row while not rebuilding with Julien (yes last year should have been a playoff free year). In 10 year with Bergevin, nothing has been achieved and now he is selling a contending story based on two 21 year old centers and a 10.5m goalie declining.

line by line : Anderson and Drouin are the best players right now. Suzuki has been making more and more mistakes over the past five games, Tatar and Gallagher are not dangerous, Dnault is invisible offensively as always, Toffoli only scores against VAN, Armia is coming back slowly but is rather a complemtary piece who scores goals in streaks and is efficient on the PP, KK is lost on the ice, trying to get the puck on the boards, Byron, Lekhonen and Evans are a good 4th line but they are so inoffensive that it is comical. Chiarot Weber is the slowest D pair in the league and Chiarot is just a 3rd pair D, Edmunson Petry is still working but Petry cannot keep a PPG through a whole season, Kulak and Romanov seem completely lost. Allen is a good back up but Price is AHL level right now (ok fringe nhl)

but yes Danault is the issue

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
How does he have $15 million in the bank?

Have his investments surpassed his consumption and taxes?

Very curious about how you have such intimate knowledge of his highly successful wealth planning.

Also never got the “not a real job” saying. Makes no sense. Like it or not it takes hard work, and if it was easy everyone would do it.

You probably make much more doing less though, because you have all the answers.

The numbers are hypothetical, ball park figures...

Saw an interview with Sean Avery recently on Spitting chicklets recently. He was saying how acting was so much work, as they had to stay on set for 12 hour + days. He, and the other ex players were saying how easy hockey was - play for 2 hours a day, workout, then nap... It is easy and everyone would do it if they had the talent and guidance when young. A small percentage of the population have those two. From there, those that work harder make it. I'm not saying hockey players don't work hard at their craft. I'm just saying it only takes so many hours a day of work.

Reactions: bsl

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That's not how it works. It's human nature to take what you have for granted and to want more.

You mentioned how Danault is loving life because of the money he makes, but the same can be applied to the common folks. If you don't consider yourself in that same situation, then realize that there are billions of people (there are a lot of poor people out there) in the world that would think that you are in the same situation (loving life) since your financial situation is much better than theirs.

I'm sure if you lost out on several thousands of dollars, it wouldn't make you happy. It's the same thing for Danault except it's millions instead.

That is how it works for me:

What I'm saying is IF he has good sense he'll be happy with the $15 million he made.

That's my opinion. If you or Danault or anyone else don't share it, well you're entitled to your views, philosophy of life, mental make up, etc...

And I'm not sorry for any hockey player that has made 15 million and then loses out on another 30 when there are people that have lost relatives to covid, etc.. nor am I going to pounce on him because, deep down, my life sucks and I'm jealous of him and will take out my frustrations with my life on him or any other athlete like Alzner living a fantastic life... again my opinions...

I actually heard people call Alzner a loser because he can't make the NHL anymore. Guy has made 10's of millions and could still make hundreds of thousands playing in the AHL or Europe - far better leagues than any of the rec leagues we pay to play in.

But I agree with you that there are many people who have very good lives but are still miserable on the inside, whether because they're comparing themselves to others, etc... I feel bad for them actually. But their problems are how they view their situation, and what they choose to do about it.

Last edited:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland

Yes, people have an axe to grind with Danault and some of the hot takes are silly. But he has not been playing well. He is supposed to lead this center group and he's not doing that.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Yes, people have an axe to grind with Danault and some of the hot takes are silly. But he has not been playing well. He is supposed to lead this center group and he's not doing that.
He can play better for sure but during this 4 game slump, Suzuki and KK are even worse IMO.

Anyways the point is that the entire team is underperforming.

Reactions: angusyoung

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What a nightmarish season for Danault so far.

Karma! He declined $5M AAV cause he thought he was more offensive than he actually is. This is on him, not the Habs management. We gave him a solid offer. Danault has to realize he is a Guy Carbonneau and not Saku Koivu. There is nothing to be ashamed about being a Carbonneau type.

We spoiled him cause our center depth was rotten (before Suzuki and KK) and then Danault grew and became a good 2 way center playing top line minutes. When Suzuki and KK started growing and we made some ice time and usage changes, he got upset. Grow up Danault! We want you to be a Habs but you got to come to grips with your role

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc McKenna

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Karma! He declined $5M AAV cause he thought he was more offensive than he actually is. This is on him, not the Habs management. We gave him a solid offer. Danault has to realize he is a Guy Carbonneau and not Saku Koivu
Karma not only cause he declined, i say more cause he complained of going to the buble and made big issue about it, while half the population was losing their bloody job, and here he was nagging and bitching . Karma's a Big B

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

I know.

But I keep hearing how he is blocking time for the youngster but all ice time stats point otherwise. He has been very bad granted! But the free pass on every other player on the team especially the golden kids is also quite ironic.

Reactions: Belial

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
From January 16th 2020 to February 12th 2021, he scored 1 regular season goal in 37 games. Add the playoffs he has 2 goals in his last 47 games.

7ad134f4edbe09d6f0b0d0bd4aa8bbb5.gif

Reactions: Runner77

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002

I got trashed for making a post like yours , but its the truth. Professional athletes and their 'struggles' being a millionaire , travelling on chartered planes so they don't mix with us heathens , always cracked me up. Throw in the standard issue hot blonde with enormous sunglasses and tight jeans, and its a tough life for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad