Player Discussion Phillip Danault: What's My Line Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HABNIKO

Jun 29, 2015
Montreal
From the time Danault made his unpleasant statement post playoffs they should've traded him.
Expressing his dissatisfaction was selfish, insecure and a discouraging to both Suzuki and KK from progressing.
MB should've pulled the trigger but too late and will lose Danault for nothing.
Hate watching Danault taking away KK rightful place.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I suspect Danault is still proud of himself for "doing it his way". Just a hunch.

tenor.gif

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
He's a multi-millionaire, playing a kids game for a living. He's made over $15 million dollars in his career so far. He'll never have to work a real job a day in his life. If he has any sense, he's loving life.

Gomez loved sucking while running out the final years of his 80 million dollar contract, or whatever it was. Easy money.
Last people on earth I would ever feel sorry or bad for are the professional athletes

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
From the time Danault made his unpleasant statement post playoffs they should've traded him.
Expressing his dissatisfaction was selfish, insecure and a discouraging to both Suzuki and KK from progressing.
I guarantee MB will win that trade.

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
He would be better suited than Domi for dump & chase/grind Torts. Domi must be hating this year.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
which goal is danault s fault ? This board is really hard on him while being surprisingly soft on other players. Suzuki is already better offensively yet he is the one turning the puck over on the first goal, he still makes rookie mistakes because he is so young. Some of KK s puck losses could have resultee in goal too. Evans has been better than expected but nowhere near top 6 material.

you can flame Danault and flame me but the fact is that he is the only veteran C on this team and even playing worse than last year allows him to be in my opinion MTL second C right now.

You said that this season, he's our second best C, while in reality he's outplayed by three kids. Evans is still looking fine on that fourth line, KK and Suzuki cooled down since the great start and normally in that time, you need to be able to count on someone else to step up, like a veteran who's playing for a contract... With the way Phillip is crapping the bed, you can't rely on him.

During the last two games:

Lazy backcheck that results in an unlucky goal:

Tried to deke and lost the puck like a peewee, was not able to clear the puck (you can't see it on that clip, Chiarot too was unable to clear the puck) and seconds after he's can't close the gap fast enough to prevent Dermott from shooting:

3 on 2, he decides to go for a change, instead of a backcheck to help Romanov and Kulak and they score:

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
I was hopeful that he was back on track after the Ottawa games but he's been bad this week in all three zones. He's so important to the team because they expect him to be their top defensive C, top faceoff man, top penalty killer, 50 point guy... and he's nowhere close to what he was during the past few seasons. Is it just the contract or reduced (merited) ice time that's causing him to play this way? If it is, he's costing himself millions.

Reactions: angusyoung

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Danault is the new scapegoat.

Suzuki, KK and Evans all surpassed him already and he should be on the 4th line according to some posters on this board...

In the last 4 games, KK and Evans have no points, Suzuki has 1 point and Danault has 2 points but all we hear is how much Danault sucks.

One puck that deflected on his body and ended on Gally's stick and an assist after a faceoff win, that won't cut it offensively...

The kids are cooling down, the veteran needs to lead them by example; instead he's looking like a turd on both sides of the ice. The last two games he's to blame for at least 2 goals and missed golden chances after golden chances.

The kids were a huge part of our great start the first 10 games, while Philip was probably busy thinking about the generous contract he turned down.

"How about the kids" :popcorn:

Last edited:

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
You said that this season, he's our second best C, while in reality he's outplayed by three kids. Evans is still looking fine on that fourth line, KK and Suzuki cooled down since the great start and normally in that time, you need to be able to count on someone else to step up, like a veteran who's playing for a contract... With the way Phillip is crapping the bed, you can't rely on him.

Tried to deke and lost the puck like a peewee, was not able to clear the puck (you can't see it on that clip, Chiarot too was unable to clear the puck) and seconds after he's can't close the gap fast enough to prevent Dermott from shooting:

3 on 2, he decides to go for a change, instead of a backcheck to help Romanov and Kulak and they score:

Sorry but KK isn't outplaying anything.

Guy's not an nhler.

Maybe 2 or 3 years from now if he can learn how to skate.

Or shoot.

Or pass.

Or take a face-off...

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
One puck that deflected on his body and ended on Gally's stick and an assist after a faceoff win, that won't cut it offensively...

The kids are cooling down, the veteran needs to lead them by example; instead he's looking like a turd on both sides of the ice. The last two games he's to blame for at least 2 goals and missed golden chances after golden chances.

The kids were a huge part of our great start the first 10 games, while Philip was probably busy thinking about the generous contract he turned down.

"How about the kids" :popcorn:
It's not Danault vs the kids.

It's scaling down expectations on Danault. Every one bashing Danault because of his lack of offense while claiming he is taking away icetime for the kids. That is not the case, it's a transition. Danault role is easing down the role of the kids and in a perfect world set down as a shutdown 3rd line center.

The reality is Danault is not a top 6 center. Hater somehow realize this but also expect him to produce as a first line center which is very ironic. He is a bottom six and he is a 40pts ish shutdown center. Once you accept that you feel better about his contribution to the team.

As for the offensive ceiling for the kids : Suzuki and KK are way higher. Both should develop and 100% produce more offensively than Danault. That being said we also have to preach patience for the kids and cannot expect them to be that consistent. That is the role of Danault easing the way for the kids until they are ready to take over more prominent roles on the team.

As for his salary demands, the market will decide, he is not a top 6 center and even though he might believe he is one. I don't expect any team will come close to that valuation for him.

Reactions: HABNIKO

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Sorry but KK isn't outplaying anything.

Guy's not an nhler.

Maybe 2 or 3 years from now if he can learn how to skate.

Or shoot.

Or pass.

Or take a face-off...

That says a lot about Danault's current level of play, because even KK who can't shoot, pass, win a faceoff, is looking better than him since the season started.

No doubt, KK is struggling lately. But I'm patient with him, because he's young, he most likely will get better. I can't have the same patience with Danault for obvious reasons.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
He needs to accept a 4m/per deal or ship him. He's not helping and his value is lower by the day.

There's time for him to get his game back, but honestly would you pay 4 million for him right now?

He's worth nothing at the moment. Even more so, he may have negative value. Honestly, we'd bring back Belzile and he would be much better. He needs to get his head out of his ass fast.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

Dude, this discussion is pointless, but I stand my ground, Evans is good but on the 4th line, KK only has points because Toffoli scores against VAN on his line. I am a huge KK fan and I believe he has been misused since the start of the season but you cannot say he has been good. Suzuki is our best center that s what I said but you overestimate our young guys.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
From January 16th 2020 to February 12th 2021, he scored 1 regular season goal in 37 games. Add the playoffs he has 2 goals in his last 47 games.

All facts. But pointing to Danault's goal total doesn't nearly give the full picture, good or bad. His primary strength offensively is assists. And his primary strength overall is defense.

Note that Gallagher, Kotkaniemi, and Weber, all of whom play on the power play, only have 2 more points this year than Danault.

Note that Danault's 34 assists last year were 2nd on the team only to Tatar's 39. Next were Petry with 29, Suzuki with 28, Domi with 27, and then Weber and Gallagher with 21 each.

Reactions: canucklover123

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Dude, this discussion is pointless, but I stand my ground, Evans is good but on the 4th line, KK only has points because Toffoli scores against VAN on his line. I am a huge KK fan and I believe he has been misused since the start of the season but you cannot say he has been good. Suzuki is our best center that s what I said but you overestimate our young guys.

KK has only assisted on 2 of Toffoli’s goals.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
If this slump gets him at discount, blessing in disguise. Bergevin usually extends the player before he hits the slump.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
It's not Danault vs the kids.

It's scaling down expectations on Danault. Every one bashing Danault because of his lack of offense while claiming he is taking away icetime for the kids. That is not the case, it's a transition. Danault role is easing down the role of the kids and in a perfect world set down as a shutdown 3rd line center.

He's not even doing his shutdown job well and KK is playing less than 14:00/night, for his 3rd season in a row...

The reality is Danault is not a top 6 center. Hater somehow realize this but also expect him to produce as a first line center which is very ironic. He is a bottom six and he is a 40pts ish shutdown center. Once you accept that you feel better about his contribution to the team.

You think that he's not top-6 material, we agree on that, no need to argue then. The issue is that many HfBoarders think that he's at least a #2C, I heavily disagree with that.

You know many third liners who have the luxury to play with Tatar and Gally as wingers ? That's the reason we expect more from him... Not that Tatar and Gally are looking great. He's on pace for 29 points with no goal, that's laughable...

He can't score goals, since 12 February 2020 (exactly one year) he has 2 goals in 38 games, one was an empty-net goal...

As for the offensive ceiling for the kids : Suzuki and KK are way higher. Both should develop and 100% produce more offensively than Danault. That being said we also have to preach patience for the kids and cannot expect them to be that consistent. That is the role of Danault easing the way for the kids until they are ready to take over more prominent roles on the team.

Danault is not playing his role then, because he's not easing anything. He looks lost on ice, making mistakes that you would expect from KK and Suzuki...

As for his salary demands, the market will decide, he is not a top 6 center and even though he might believe he is one. I don't expect any team will come close to that valuation for him.

He's not a top-6 player, but he's getting 5M+ as a UFA, I'm 100% sure about that. I hope it will be from another team.

We agree on the essential, Danault is not top-6 material.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
KK has only assisted on 2 of Toffoli’s goals.

True 4 vs VAN 2 CGY, you cannot say this is brilliant. And once again, I am a huge KK fan, love Skan Hockey and he was impressive ahead of the daft. However he seems to be playing in a way which is not commensurate with his strengths, he plays often on the wings and in front of the net while his strength is driving the play from the center.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
True 4 vs VAN 2 CGY, you cannot say this is brilliant. And once again, I am a huge KK fan, love Skan Hockey and he was impressive ahead of the daft. However he seems to be playing in a way which is not commensurate with his strengths, he plays often on the wings and in front of the net while his strength is driving the play from the center.

You said that: "KK only has points because Toffoli scores against VAN on his line" That's a myth, he got only 2 assists on Toffoli's 9 goals... KK is not leeching points from Toffoli, he would be close to PPG, if it were the case.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
The most awful thing about that is that Bergevin still offered him an anchor contract for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad