Player Discussion Phillip Danault: What's My Line Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
This is correct, I’d actually say he’s an above average defensive NHLr and a below average offensive NHLr so it evens out, a perfect #3C on a contending team. The hate comes from he doesn’t see himself as that and his coach doesn’t see himself as that so now he gets the 2 best wingers to try and get him out of a funk that’s not a funk, it’s the way it is. Muller had him playing where he belongs in the bubble and we saw Suzuki and KK play their best hockey. PD spat the dummy thinking he’s what Claude thinks he is - and why wouldn’t he when it’s reinforced with lineup like tonight.

Exactly this. He looked good on a shutdown line with Lehkonen and Byron because all you expect from them is not to get scored on, any offence is gravy. But he doesn’t see it that way and that’s a problem.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It's not easy man, that's the point. This man came out after the playoffs talking all kinds of ish. About his role, what he would accept, what he wouldn't. He bet on himself completely, which, althought admirable, has turned out to be very unwise. He turned down a 30 million dollar contract (wow, wtf MB) and clearly views himself as a great offensive player.

He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to go into this offseason and be like "well, guess I AM just a third line centre. I'll take a lot less money, thanks guys." He's still going to want to get paid. And I don't want the Habs to pay him.
The reality will sink in.
And I would rather have a player that believe in himself than having a player that is happy to be a 3rd/4th line center. There are many players like him btw but they don't expose this to the Media. He should have shut the f***ed up but that is the reality for all NHLer. Their career is very short and they want to get as much as possible.

If that is the reason why he is hated than it is misplaced.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Again, circle jerk with nothing worthy in it...wonder why no one takes anything you post seriously...:laugh:

The sad thing is other than the fact you refuse to comment on anything the first chance you have as an opportunity to put an analytical sentence together, you’re the only one taking this conversation seriously.

cheers mate, I look forward to your future takes :laugh:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I'm just happy he made a nice play that lead to the tying goal.

We can shit on his decision to reject money or want a bigger role all we want but it doesn't change fact he's part of our team and we need him playing better. So we'll take what we can.
He made a great pass, glad to see it! He was the cause of the first goal against, and glad he made up for it...still not playing great, but take last night's game as a good sign. He now has Gally and Toffolli to try to help to get him going. Guess it was all Tatar's fault that 5Mil/Phil hasn't scored in almost 40 games.

Reactions: angusyoung

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
He made a great pass, glad to see it! He was the cause of the first goal against, and glad he made up for it...still not playing great, but take last night's game as a good sign. He now has Gally and Toffolli to try to help to get him going. Guess it was all Tatar's fault that 5Mil/Phil hasn't scored in almost 40 games.
Hasn't scored much and ask for 5M+. The Habs should let him walk after this season. Let other team overpay Danault.

Reactions: BLONG7

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't know if we can use Pageau as a contract comparison anymore, Pageau has been incredible with the Isles. Especially with how that extension was signed before the COVID effect on the cap. If that contract offer is true, Danault really f***ed up by rejecting it. I think he knows it too and is being hard on himself about it. He should probably be in the 4-4.5 million range. Best case is that he signs for 4 million and he goes back to playing how he did for the past 2 years.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I don't know if we can use Pageau as a contract comparison anymore, Pageau has been incredible with the Isles. Especially with how that extension was signed before the COVID effect on the cap. If that contract offer is true, Danault really f***ed up by rejecting it. I think he knows it too and is being hard on himself about it. He should probably be in the 4-4.5 million range. Best case is that he signs for 4 million and he goes back to playing how he did for the past 2 years.

The Islanders also have Trotz

upload_2021-2-17_15-9-53.jpeg

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Give him til the end of Feb to check back in then healthy scratch if he’s still dogging it. If that doesn’t work put him on the 3rd line, if he spits the dummy again about that then trade him

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Give him til the end of Feb to check back in then healthy scratch if he’s still dogging it. If that doesn’t work put him on the 3rd line, if he spits the dummy again about that then trade him
I mean he was very good in the 3rd period last game and made up for his blunder. Not to mention that we don't have any centers to replace him. Bergevin also made it clear that they expect more from Danault.

Reactions: Runner77

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I mean he was very good in the 3rd period last game and made up for his blunder. Not to mention that we don't have any centers to replace him. Bergevin also made it clear that they expect more from Danault.
No issues if he can follow up that 3rd with the same level of play

Reactions: Habs178

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
He's not really a playmaker either. I say this as a guy who likes Danault. Outside of his defense he offers almost nothing. He's excellent on the forecheck... That's pretty much it.
His skillset screams 3rd line center.
He led the team in assists 5on5 last year...

I guess we have a team full of fourthliners...

Reactions: HabsQC

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He led the team in assists 5on5 last year...

I guess we have a team full of fourthliners...
We were 24th last year....Phil's line led us to 24th place....
Most fans tell us to not live in the past, so let's talk this season, Phil has been below average and turned down a 30M dollar contract...this is why people are giving it to him....deservedly so.
He needs to start brining it real soon....the 3rd period last saturday was a nice start.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
We were 24th last year....Phil's line led us to 24th place....
Most fans tell us to not live in the past, so let's talk this season, Phil has been below average and turned down a 30M dollar contract...this is why people are giving it to him....deservedly so.
He needs to start brining it real soon....the 3rd period last saturday was a nice start.

More like Suzuki's line brought it down to that level...

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013

I mentioned it before I think he'll get 5 plus, probz wont be with us but in the market.
However with covid who knows.

Ideally, he plays his value down, we sign him for a 1 year Covid deal and it lets Suzuki and KK develop for 1 more year at their pace and not the pace we need them to develop to be competitive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad