Player Discussion Phillip Danault - The Centermania Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think we should at the very least experiment with Suzuki on that first line. He might not drive the possession that Dannault does at this point but he'll learn and he's already putting up similar points in a lesser role. He's eons ahead in terms of offensive finish.

Dannault takes too much abuse on here but he shouldn't be a number one. He's been number one by default for the past couple of seasons but we aren't going to win with him there.

We have to bite the bullet and start turning the reigns over to Suzuki and KK. If we don't start doing this then we're not going to go anywhere down the road.

Playoffs at the cost of everything else again next year so forget about it. They still think this formula will work which is totally insane. I was hoping for a new coach with a different perspective at the very least but it's easy to see with MB it's "my way or the highway" so it wouldn't change a damn thing anyway. My bet is we bust again.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
at 23 McDavid has more assists than Danault has points in his entire career
every single year McDavid played in the NHL he had more assists than Danauld had points
at the age McDavid had his 1st 100 pts season, Danault was still in Jr
at his current age McDavid is on pace for his 4th straight 100 pts season, at the same age Danault was a AHLer
McDavid has been over PPG every single season he played in this league, Danault has yet to be PPG once...

and you think it's reasonnable to compare Danault to McDavid ?? :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Don’t think Baseballcoach was comparing their talent, he was comparing a result set. Nothing wrong with this, it was simply to illustrate that Danault is not near as bad as many let on, guess what, he’s right.

I miss talkstogoalpost, his post about we shouldn’t care about how players look or are perceived when getting results, only that they get them. Imo neither Gallagher or Danault are elite in the traditional sense, but they are effective. I find it hard to believe with the mountains of evidence people are actually so entrenched in their views that they try to argue against something that is so damn obvious. I don’t get it.

Last edited:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Don’t think Baseballcoach was comparing their talent, he was comparing a result set. Nothing wrong with this, it was simply to illustrate that Danault is not near as bad as many let on, guess what, he’s right.
yet he could not find a 50/55 pts player to compare Danault to...

Reactions: Mrb1p

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
yet he could not find a 50/55 pts player to compare Danault to...
Yawn, argue the facts instead of nitpicking over something that wasn’t outrageous to point out. You don’t agree with his position so you need to attack his words. What about his conclusion? Is 19th most ES assists more indication of someone who can’t pass?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Yawn, argue the facts instead of nitpicking over something that wasn’t outrageous to point out. You don’t agree with his position so you need to attack his words. What about his conclusion? Is 19th most ES assists more indication of someone who can’t pass?
attack his words ?? lol wtf is this... sure let's act like I'm the one comparing Danault to one of the best forwards in the league, if not THE best. Nope, not another 50/55 pts player, not a first liner or a top 6 player, no! I'm comparing Danault to a guy who has more assists than Danault has points...

Nope, it's an indication he's as good as McDavid at passing, or very very close to it,

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
attack his words ?? lol wtf is this... sure let's act like I'm the one comparing Danault to one of the best forwards in the league, if not THE best. Nope, not another 50/55 pts player, not a first liner or a top 6 player, no! I'm comparing Danault to a guy who has more assists than Danault has points...

Nope, it's an indication he's as good as McDavid at passing, or very very close to it,
I don’t even know what you’re trying to say, but hey, at least one person liked it.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I think we should at the very least experiment with Suzuki on that first line. He might not drive the possession that Dannault does at this point but he'll learn and he's already putting up similar points in a lesser role. He's eons ahead in terms of offensive finish.

Dannault takes too much abuse on here but he shouldn't be a number one. He's been number one by default for the past couple of seasons but we aren't going to win with him there.

We have to bite the bullet and start turning the reigns over to Suzuki and KK. If we don't start doing this then we're not going to go anywhere down the road.
Wonderful post. Sums up perfectly how I see this situation

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I might agree if Suzuki were playing as well as a month ago, but no, not now.

Let him regain his game on the second or third line before demanding top responsibility from him.

Suzuki's stats are skewed by his PP results.

At ES, Nick has 7 goals, 19 assists for 26 points and is -14. That's slightly worse than KK was doing last year as a rookie.

By all means continue to give Nick PP time as we don't have many guys better than him in that role, but let's slow down with the 1C role.

If we want to try someone else, the obvious choice to play with our best wingers would be Domi.
Meanwhile Danault has 3 goals in 30 games

Reactions: Mrb1p and ECWHSWI

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
It's not as worse, but it's the same problem. Again it's a story of a guy playing with our best wingers, while we have younger players almost as good as him or better, that we need to develop.

Pretty much this, Danault is overexposed because the 'plan' never really was about developing guys in the NHL (aka 'reset') but to get to playoffs. And since Danault won't hurt you defensively, there goes the playing time.

He's not the culprit here, even if he gets way too much flak for this.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
For all the talk about Phillip and his great defensive ability, you are all forgetting that he plays with Tatar and Gally and our best defensive pairing. While Domi and Suzuki are getting Petry, Kulak, Ouellet, Mete...

They will look better with the best wingers and the best defensive duo. They may not be as good as Phillip defensively, at least for Domi, but they won't be as bad as right now.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Pretty much this, Danault is overexposed because the 'plan' never really was about developing guys in the NHL (aka 'reset') but to get to playoffs. And since Danault won't hurt you defensively, there goes the playing time.

He's not the culprit here, even if he gets way too much flak for this.
Obviously not, just like DD wasnt.

Doesnt mean I won't bitch and whine til hes off this team though

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
For all the talk about Phillip and his great defensive ability, you are all forgetting that he plays with Tatar and Gally and our best defensive pairing. While Domi and Suzuki are getting Petry, Kulak, Ouellet, Mete...

They will look better with the best wingers and the best defensive duo. They may not be as good as Phillip defensively, at least for Domi, but they won't be as bad as right now.

You're ignoring the fact that Danault also plays against the best players of the opposing team...

Danault is the one that goes against the Barzal, Barkov, Point, McDavid, Eichel, etc.
Suzuki, on the other hand, faces the Pageau, Wallmark, Cirelli, etc.

I highly doubt the current Suzuki would look better defensively even if he was playing with Tatar, Gally, and Chariot-Weber, but going against the superstars of the league.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You're ignoring the fact that Danault also plays against the best players of the opposing team...

Danault is the one that goes against the Barzal, Barkov, Point, McDavid, Eichel, etc.

I highly doubt the current Suzuki would look better defensively even if he was playing with Tatar, Gally, and Chariot-Weber, but going against the superstars of the league.
Can anyone spot the elephant in the room?

As of the poster above Danault is LEEET.

Goes on to list carbon copies of Danault in Pageau, Cirelli.

"Suzuki has success because he doesnt face the LEET"

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head

Most of the teams have at least 2 dangerous lines, so it's not like Suzuki never faced a tough matchup and it was only reserved for Danault... When a coach has the last change, he avoids putting his best line against the best players of the other team.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Ive witnessed Danaults defensive miscues, lately. Why is the standard different ?
Degree and frequency matter.

Danault is +20. If he made as many mistakes and serious ones as you are saying, that would not be true two years in a row. You seem to be the victim of a certain amount of confirmation bias.

Suzuki is -14. That is a huge difference from Danault. His ratio of mistakes to productive plays is much lower than Phil's, at ES. On the PP he was producing at a very good clip, and even if he is in a slump now, I would not take away his PP time.

All I'm saying is that Suzuki is not ready for the role of top center on this team yet. Even if Danault would be in a better chair at 2C or even 3C, it does not mean Suzuki is close to ready. Keep playing him 15 minutes per game, with PP time and even some PK time if they want. Give Domi a bigger role; let Suzuki continue to play a middle-six role with PP time. He'll be fine.

Reactions: Archijerej

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Actually 20th most TOTAL assists and 29th last year.

That stat includes his relative weakness on PP.

He's 9th in ES assists this year. And when you mention the guys ahead of him, certain people then complain that he is being compared to stars. Ridiculous.

Reactions: Boardish

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Actually 20th most TOTAL assists and 29th last year.

That stat includes his relative weakness on PP.

He's 9th in ES assists this year. And when you mention the guys ahead of him, certain people then complain that he is being compared to stars. Ridiculous.
why don't you compare him to 99... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Most of the teams have at least 2 dangerous lines, so it's not like Suzuki never faced a tough matchup and it was only reserved for Danault... When a coach has the last change, he avoids putting his best line against the best players of the other team.
But Danault faces 15% more better lines in general, over a year season. And faces best pairing D 15% plus over a season, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad