Player Discussion Phillip Danault - The Centermania Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
it is still very dumb to compare Danault to McDavid.

Danault will end his season with less points than McDavid has assists, and yet you INSIST in comparing the both of them... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

OK, you can say it's dumb to compare Danault to McDavid, even if it's to say McDavid is better. Apparently the words Danault and McDavid are not allowed to be in the same sentence.

But it is ok with you for some people to put Danault and "can't pass well" in the same sentence. And my ranking shows that this is even MORE dumb to do than bringing up McDavid.

It's like when a few people tried to say that Danault has no talent, and gets his results ONLY from hustle and from playing with good wingers.

Of course, this argument crumbles if you try to consider guys that are good hustlers, like say Nate Thompson. Thompson could hustle all season long, in fact he does, and he will NEVER get 55 points, not even if he played with Gallagher and Tatar.

Last edited:
Reactions: dralaf

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
OK, you can say it's dumb to compare Danault to McDavid, even if it's to say McDavid is better. Apparently the words Danault and McDavid are not allowed to be in the same sentence.

But it is ok with you for some people to put Danault and "can't pass well" in the same sentence. And my ranking shows that this is even MORE dumb to do than bringing up McDavid.

It's like when a few people tried to say that Danault has no talent, and gets his results ONLY from hustle and from playing with good wingers.

Of course, this argument crumbles if you try to consider guys that are good hustlers, like say Nate Thompson. Thompson could hustle all season long, in fact he does, and he will NEVER get 55 points, not even if he played with Gallagher and Tatar.

I mean you were fine with is "not a good or a bad passer" but somehow "can't pass well" you can't get over it. He's an average passer if you prefer.

An average passer and an average(to say the least) goal scorer.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I mean you were fine with is "not a good or a bad passer" but somehow "can't pass well" you can't get over it. He's an average passer if you prefer.

An average passer and an average(to say the least) goal scorer.
Is he really an average passer though?

How do we define average?

Picking up assists at an average or above average rate doesnt mean you are a playmaker or a passer, its more complicated than that to me.

Also hes a well below average goal scorer and theres no contest about this.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Is he really an average passer though?

How do we define average?

Picking up assists at an average or above average rate doesnt mean you are a playmaker or a passer, its more complicated than that to me.

Also hes a well below average goal scorer and theres no contest about this.

I know, but even if you think he's an average passer and goal scorer, why would want that in your-top 6 ? It's not good enough.

"But chemistry with Tatar and Gally"

Reactions: Rapala

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I know, but even if you think he's an average passer and goal scorer, why would want that in your-top 6 ? It's not good enough.

"But chemistry with Tatar and Gally"
If he was average at those things, like the rest of his skills (theres nothing even remotely close to elite in his skillset.) Hed be a net middle 6er, like most reasonable posters seem to think he is.

Note that in the past few days, both Benoit Brunet and PJ Stock called him a good 3rd line center.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I note that assists don't necessarily mean passing ability as people see it on a scouting report.

I also strongly hold the opinion that we should care a lot less how a player produces and a lot more that he does. Gallagher doesn't have a great shot and it would be foolhardy to call him a sniper, but he's a terrific goal scorer due to elite ability to generate chances to shoot.

Danault isn't a play maker as conventionally understood, but he can be cog on a line that is good at scoring goals, hence assists at a good rate.
I think we should at the very least experiment with Suzuki on that first line. He might not drive the possession that Dannault does at this point but he'll learn and he's already putting up similar points in a lesser role. He's eons ahead in terms of offensive finish.

Dannault takes too much abuse on here but he shouldn't be a number one. He's been number one by default for the past couple of seasons but we aren't going to win with him there.

We have to bite the bullet and start turning the reigns over to Suzuki and KK. If we don't start doing this then we're not going to go anywhere down the road.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
If he was average at those things, like the rest of his skills (theres nothing even remotely close to elite in his skillset.) Hed be a net middle 6er, like most reasonable posters seem to think he is.

Note that in the past few days, both Benoit Brunet and PJ Stock called him a good 3rd line center.
Well now I'm convinced. That and your 3000 posts obsessing about Danault.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think we should at the very least experiment with Suzuki on that first line. He might not drive the possession that Dannault does at this point but he'll learn and he's already putting up similar points in a lesser role. He's eons ahead in terms of offensive finish.

Dannault takes too much abuse on here but he shouldn't be a number one. He's been number one by default for the past couple of seasons but we aren't going to win with him there.

We have to bite the bullet and start turning the reigns over to Suzuki and KK. If we don't start doing this then we're not going to go anywhere down the road.

I might agree if Suzuki were playing as well as a month ago, but no, not now.

Let him regain his game on the second or third line before demanding top responsibility from him.

Suzuki's stats are skewed by his PP results.

At ES, Nick has 7 goals, 19 assists for 26 points and is -14. That's slightly worse than KK was doing last year as a rookie.

By all means continue to give Nick PP time as we don't have many guys better than him in that role, but let's slow down with the 1C role.

If we want to try someone else, the obvious choice to play with our best wingers would be Domi.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Let him regain his game on the second or third line before demanding top responsibility from him.

At ES, Nick has 7 goals, 19 assists for 26 points and is -14. That's slightly worse than KK was doing last year as a rookie.

By all means continue to give Nick PP time as we don't have many guys better than him in that role, but let's slow down with the 1C role.

If we want to try someone else, the obvious choice to play with our best wingers would be Domi.
When Danault had that god awful two month stretch (Well, its still going on even if he got two secondary assists) did he have to regain his form on the third line?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

When a player goes into a slump, it’s better to give them all the opportunity you can to let them break it.

Putting him on the third is only going to make things worse for him.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
When Danault had that god awful two month stretch (Well, its still going on even if he got two secondary assists) did he have to regain his form on the third line?
Danault has not been on the ice for a ton of goals against. Suzuki has and he is just NOT ready to take on the other team's best players yet. That being said, I did suggest giving Domi a shot at 1C if Danault slumps.

Reactions: dralaf

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
When a player goes into a slump, it’s better to give them all the opportunity you can to let them break it.

Putting him on the third is only going to make things worse for him.

Real NHL coaches don't take slumping rookies and put them in a higher role than they ever had to date. I'm not suggesting they put him on the 4th line or anything. I'm just saying that now is not the time to give him 1C responsibility. What I might suggest is to pair him back up with Domi, who is playing pretty well right now at both ends, give them the best LW they can find, maybe even Tatar, and play the line equal minutes to the Danault-Gallagher-xxx line.

I want to see what Domi can do when he is playing well and has wingers with scoring punch.

Finally, note that I suggested to continue to give Suzuki PP time. Let him concentrate on his offence right now.

Reactions: cphabs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Real NHL coaches don't take slumping rookies and put them in a higher role than they ever had to date. I'm not suggesting they put him on the 4th line or anything. I'm just saying that now is not the time to give him 1C responsibility. What I might suggest is to pair him back up with Domi, who is playing pretty well right now at both ends, give them the best LW they can find, maybe even Tatar, and play the line equal minutes to the Danault-Gallagher-xxx line.

I want to see what Domi can do when he is playing well and has wingers with scoring punch.

Finally, note that I suggested to continue to give Suzuki PP time. Let him concentrate on his offence right now.
I’m sure you’ll get your wish. We’ll demote him or say he’s tired and bench him or something like that. That’s the Montreal way.

After all, we have the playoffs to think about.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Danault has not been on the ice for a ton of goals against. Suzuki has and he is just NOT ready to take on the other team's best players yet. That being said, I did suggest giving Domi a shot at 1C if Danault slumps.
He was a minus 3 for 12 game span while producing 4 points during that span.

Double standards are great

Also I love how you keep on relying on the +/- lol.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I’m sure you’ll get your wish. We’ll demote him or say he’s tired and bench him or something like that. That’s the Montreal way.

After all, we have the playoffs to think about.
I'm not following you. I'm suggesting Suzuki stay in the top-6 and get PP time. You're saying that I would be "getting my wish" by him being demoted or benched. Could you please go back and read what I actually wrote? Is there a place I said to bench him or demote him?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He was a minus 3 for 12 game span while producing 4 points during that span.

Double standards are great

Also I love how you keep on relying on the +/- lol.
For Pricesake, it's not just a stat. We have all had the chance to watch the games and to see the missed defensive assignments Suzuki has committed lately.

I'm not suggesting we do what Julien did to KK for less reason last year. I'm just saying don't give him 1C responsibility yet. If you want to play Danault in a 2C role, let Domi move up at the moment. DEVELOP him at C, he's shown the potential!

Reactions: 1909

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Domi is still young, has less than 2 years at C, has shown he can put up points, and I don't understand how people don't want to develop him. Danault got better between 24 and 27, why shouldn't we try to do the same with Domi??

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm not following you. I'm suggesting Suzuki stay in the top-6 and get PP time. You're saying that I would be "getting my wish" by him being demoted or benched. Could you please go back and read what I actually wrote? Is there a place I said to bench him or demote him?
You said he could regain his game on the 2nd or 3rd line...

And what you or I think wont matter. We’ll keep doing things the same way. Obviously this method has been so successful in the past. We’re awesome at development.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
You said he could regain his game on the 2nd or 3rd line...

And what you or I think wont matter. We’ll keep doing things the same way. Obviously this method has been so successful in the past. We’re awesome at development.
Correct, I said don't demote him, don't bench him, keep playing him in a role similar to what he has played up to now. Let him play out of the slump with maybe a little less defensive stress by moving him to RW with a hot Domi. Then I suggested trying them with Tatar.

How could you possibly think I was suggesting Nick get the patented Chu-Rien rookie treatment????

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
For Pricesake, it's not just a stat. We have all had the chance to watch the games and to see the missed defensive assignments Suzuki has committed lately.

I'm not suggesting we do what Julien did to KK for less reason last year. I'm just saying don't give him 1C responsibility yet. If you want to play Danault in a 2C role, let Domi move up at the moment. DEVELOP him at C, he's shown the potential!
Ive witnessed Danaults defensive miscues, lately. Why is the standard different ?

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

You can rearrange the seats as often as you want, this sucks. I don’t think Danault is a problem where he is. His ES contributions are excellent. He’s not the most flashy guy around, but he gets the job done.

Reactions: 1909
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad