Phillip Broberg

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I wonder how in the bag McDavid will be to resign next summer if and when Edmonton crashes out in round 1 or 2. Looks older, slower and lacking any cap space or futures to improve.

Broberg and McLeod are looking like increasingly big loses.
The Mcleod loss I can accept because Savoie is a pretty good prospect.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
I wonder how in the bag McDavid will be to resign next summer if and when Edmonton crashes out in round 1 or 2. Looks older, slower and lacking any cap space or futures to improve.

Broberg and McLeod are looking like increasingly big loses.

Add Holloway to that list, then signing Bouchard to a huge new contract to join the rest of the gang. I think McDavid needs to move on its the best for everyone especially him. With lots of very overpriced unmotivated unmovable contracts, no goaltending, no prospects to play important roles, where's the upside? Heck they couldn't even put together an energy line right now. I would slow down on the playoff talk this year.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Add Holloway to that list, then signing Bouchard to a huge new contract to join the rest of the gang. I think McDavid needs to move on its the best for everyone especially him. With lots of very overpriced unmotivated unmovable contracts, no goaltending, no prospects to play important roles, where's the upside? Heck they couldn't even put together an energy line right now. I would slow down on the playoff talk this year.
If Bouchard keeps playing the way he has there will be no worries about that happening but the situation is a lot like last season and there is no reason to believe the Oilers will not be better as the season moves on.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I just think it's funny how the Oilers finally develop their own young depth in the McDrai era only to immediately lose all of them in one offseason. They better hope Savoie pans out.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
If Bouchard keeps playing the way he has there will be no worries about that happening but the situation is a lot like last season and there is no reason to believe the Oilers will not be better as the season moves on.
If he keeps playing like he has he still gets paid way more than he's worth as last season will be used in barganing. If he becomes great again he gets paid likely more, however Ekholm is getting older and there is nothing in the next few years that will fill that hole eventually making Bouchard's play worse. With no surge of young talent that is an unwindable situation.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I just think it's funny how the Oilers finally develop their own young depth in the McDrai era only to immediately lose all of them in one offseason. They better hope Savoie pans out.
Savoie seems like a bit of a longer term project even if he pans out. Probably outside their realistic window to be a contributor. Whereas Broberg, Holloway and McLeod all fit perfectly and would be contributing during the next two years of the prime Cup window.
The loss is more devastating because of the lack of NHL ready prospects and the fact that they only really have Bouchard as a homegrown talent since McDavid was drafted.

Last edited:

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
If he keeps playing like he has he still gets paid way more than he's worth as last season will be used in barganing. If he becomes great again he gets paid likely more, however Ekholm is getting older and there is nothing in the next few years that will fill that hole eventually making Bouchard's play worse. With no surge of young talent that is an unwindable situation.
Lets be real, its only been 7 games. McDavid is going to get going, Draisaitl is going to get going, the powerplay is going to get better, they won't be playing Oettenger and Andersen standing on their heads every game like the last 2. People making conclusions about this season based on 7 games are pretty silly. We have a long way to go yet.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
They chose to bring in UFAs before taking care of their RFAs.
Just like Benning's modus operandi 🤣

1000071018.jpg

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Savoie seems like a bit of a longer term project even if he pans out. Probably outside their realistic window to be a contributor. Whereas Broberg, Holloway and McLeod all fit perfectly and would be contributing during the next two years of the prime Cup window.
The loss is more devastating because of the lack of NHL ready prospects and the fact that they only really have Bouchard as a homegrown talent since McDavid was drafted.
Actucally add Drai to that and RNH. So basically after a decade of drafting 1st overall (4 times consecutively) plus multiple top 3 to top 5 drafts picks on top of that plus plethora of other picks they only have McDavid, Drai and Bouchard to show for it. RNH to a lesser extent. Thats pretty terrible.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
As an Oiler fan, I can appreciate the success Broberg's found. I've followed his young career and was a true believer so there is some satisfaction in seeing him do well.

I don't fault him for wanting out. We never made the room for him to succeed the way that we did for Bouchard. Broberg is a similar talent as Bouchard but just a different style of player. I actually prefer Broberg's style just because of the great skating

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Actucally add Drai to that and RNH. So basically after a decade of drafting 1st overall (4 times consecutively) plus multiple top 3 to top 5 drafts picks on top of that plus plethora of other picks they only have McDavid, Drai and Bouchard to show for it. RNH to a lesser extent. Thats pretty terrible.
Beyond horrible, I can't think of a 2nd round prospect even for the 4th line, there has to be one along the way but yes its been pathetic for a very long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad