Phillip Broberg

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
No way to sugar coat this one, I really liked him when he was drafted. This once again backs up my belief that 95% of GM's just get a paycheck. You could clearly see in the playoffs last year this guy was ready to go and an excellent d.
I thought he would be better than Bouchard, with a real top 4 role in St. Louis we will see if that comes true or not.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
This thread reminds me of the one we had about Puntus Aberg, when he had 11G and 8A in the first 31 games after leaving the Oilers. He had star/sniper written allover himself.

While Broberg could turn out to be a star, it is too easy to celebrate the steal. And the reality is that this thread is more about making fun of the Oilers than actually about Broberg.
Drafted 8th overall versus 37th? I think Broberg has a higher ceiling.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
It's a fair comment. Broberg in his sample size would have been a massive risk for the Oilers to give 4.8M to. St Louis was in a much better position to take on that risk.

Right. Top 10 defensive team in the league last year btw. With atrocious goaltending and D according to posters here, wonder how that was possible.
They only had to play pacific division teams all year and through the playoffs.

Reactions: Kaiden Ghoul

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Different environment for the guy. Playing his natural left side which he would not be doing in Edm unless Bouchard was his partner, as they wouldn’t ask ekholm or nurse to slide over to the right.
Don’t expect the point pace to hold but showing that he’s capable of producing points.

Every team looks to improve their roster this their rfas whom they do have final say over are typically pushed to later in the offseason. But they ended up leaving themselves with little cap room and the compensation for the OS for their caliber of rfa was low enough to entice another team to make the OS.
Of course the point pace won’t hold. He’s not going to be a PPG player. But if he hits 40 points, it’s a win for Blues. Hell if he hits 30 it’s a win for the blues.

Reactions: majormajor

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
It's a fair comment. Broberg in his sample size would have been a massive risk for the Oilers to give 4.8M to. St Louis was in a much better position to take on that risk.
The problem is Broberg wouldn’t have cost 4.8m in Edmonton if they didn’t wait it out. Wasn’t the reported initial ask like 1.8 million? At most if JJ got the deal done early he’s likely capped at 2.5 million prior to the offer sheet

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
complains about future thread bumps...posts in the thread anyway
I didn't complain about thread bumps. I complained about people (esp. non-Blues' fans) bumping the thread to celebrate every time Broberg scores a point.
says posting about it is pointless...posts in the thread anyway
I didn't say posting about it is pointless. If people want to post thoughts about Broberg as a player, that's great.
says "i'm indifferent", but is clearly passionately on one side
Maybe you don't know what "indifferent" means. I am indifferent to St. Louis and its level of success, so I no longer have any particular interest in what Broberg or Holloway do. I have been an Oilers' fan for almost 40 years, so yeah, I'm kind of more invested in them. There is no contradiction here.
just be honest, you didn't handle this well...that's why you asked everyone else to stop talking about it, cherry picked examples that support your narrative, then said there's no reason to talk about it for 10 years...
I didn't ask everyone to stop talking about Broberg. By all means, post away about Broberg. I like him; I think he has potential. And, as I said, I do wish the Oilers had kept him.

What I'm saying is: Chirping Oilers' fans (esp. if you're not a Blues fan) about the supposed greatness of Broberg based on 5 or 6 games in October is a bit sad.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I didn't complain about thread bumps. I complained about people (esp. non-Blues' fans) bumping the thread to celebrate every time Broberg scores a point.

I didn't say posting about it is pointless. If people want to post thoughts about Broberg as a player, that's great.

Maybe you don't know what "indifferent" means. I am indifferent to St. Louis and its level of success, so I no longer have any particular interest in what Broberg or Holloway do. I have been an Oilers' fan for almost 40 years, so yeah, I'm kind of more invested in them. There is no contradiction here.

I didn't ask everyone to stop talking about Broberg. By all means, post away about Broberg. I like him; I think he has potential. And, as I said, I do wish the Oilers had kept him.

What I'm saying is: Chirping Oilers' fans (esp. if you're not a Blues fan) about the supposed greatness of Broberg based on 5 or 6 games in October is a bit sad.
How often do double offer sheets happen? Broberg and Holloway will be under a microscope all season long. Especially when it’s a player the original team could have had for less than 2 million. Yes he signed for more, but his production is going to be compared to what he SHOULD have been signed for.

If Broberg can pace for 30-40 points while being average defensively it’s a huge miss by Oilers management who had an in house solution to a glaring issue that’s showing in the regular season.

Ad

Ad

Ad