Phillip Broberg

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
No way to sugar coat this one, I really liked him when he was drafted. This once again backs up my belief that 95% of GM's just get a paycheck. You could clearly see in the playoffs last year this guy was ready to go and an excellent d.
I thought he would be better than Bouchard, with a real top 4 role in St. Louis we will see if that comes true or not.

Reactions: Devonator

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
This thread reminds me of the one we had about Puntus Aberg, when he had 11G and 8A in the first 31 games after leaving the Oilers. He had star/sniper written allover himself.

While Broberg could turn out to be a star, it is too easy to celebrate the steal. And the reality is that this thread is more about making fun of the Oilers than actually about Broberg.
Drafted 8th overall versus 37th? I think Broberg has a higher ceiling.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
It's a fair comment. Broberg in his sample size would have been a massive risk for the Oilers to give 4.8M to. St Louis was in a much better position to take on that risk.

Right. Top 10 defensive team in the league last year btw. With atrocious goaltending and D according to posters here, wonder how that was possible.
They only had to play pacific division teams all year and through the playoffs.

Reactions: Kaiden Ghoul

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Different environment for the guy. Playing his natural left side which he would not be doing in Edm unless Bouchard was his partner, as they wouldn’t ask ekholm or nurse to slide over to the right.
Don’t expect the point pace to hold but showing that he’s capable of producing points.

Every team looks to improve their roster this their rfas whom they do have final say over are typically pushed to later in the offseason. But they ended up leaving themselves with little cap room and the compensation for the OS for their caliber of rfa was low enough to entice another team to make the OS.
Of course the point pace won’t hold. He’s not going to be a PPG player. But if he hits 40 points, it’s a win for Blues. Hell if he hits 30 it’s a win for the blues.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
It's a fair comment. Broberg in his sample size would have been a massive risk for the Oilers to give 4.8M to. St Louis was in a much better position to take on that risk.
The problem is Broberg wouldn’t have cost 4.8m in Edmonton if they didn’t wait it out. Wasn’t the reported initial ask like 1.8 million? At most if JJ got the deal done early he’s likely capped at 2.5 million prior to the offer sheet

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
complains about future thread bumps...posts in the thread anyway
I didn't complain about thread bumps. I complained about people (esp. non-Blues' fans) bumping the thread to celebrate every time Broberg scores a point.
says posting about it is pointless...posts in the thread anyway
I didn't say posting about it is pointless. If people want to post thoughts about Broberg as a player, that's great.
says "i'm indifferent", but is clearly passionately on one side
Maybe you don't know what "indifferent" means. I am indifferent to St. Louis and its level of success, so I no longer have any particular interest in what Broberg or Holloway do. I have been an Oilers' fan for almost 40 years, so yeah, I'm kind of more invested in them. There is no contradiction here.
just be honest, you didn't handle this well...that's why you asked everyone else to stop talking about it, cherry picked examples that support your narrative, then said there's no reason to talk about it for 10 years...
I didn't ask everyone to stop talking about Broberg. By all means, post away about Broberg. I like him; I think he has potential. And, as I said, I do wish the Oilers had kept him.

What I'm saying is: Chirping Oilers' fans (esp. if you're not a Blues fan) about the supposed greatness of Broberg based on 5 or 6 games in October is a bit sad.

Reactions: Spektre

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I didn't complain about thread bumps. I complained about people (esp. non-Blues' fans) bumping the thread to celebrate every time Broberg scores a point.

I didn't say posting about it is pointless. If people want to post thoughts about Broberg as a player, that's great.

Maybe you don't know what "indifferent" means. I am indifferent to St. Louis and its level of success, so I no longer have any particular interest in what Broberg or Holloway do. I have been an Oilers' fan for almost 40 years, so yeah, I'm kind of more invested in them. There is no contradiction here.

I didn't ask everyone to stop talking about Broberg. By all means, post away about Broberg. I like him; I think he has potential. And, as I said, I do wish the Oilers had kept him.

What I'm saying is: Chirping Oilers' fans (esp. if you're not a Blues fan) about the supposed greatness of Broberg based on 5 or 6 games in October is a bit sad.
How often do double offer sheets happen? Broberg and Holloway will be under a microscope all season long. Especially when it’s a player the original team could have had for less than 2 million. Yes he signed for more, but his production is going to be compared to what he SHOULD have been signed for.

If Broberg can pace for 30-40 points while being average defensively it’s a huge miss by Oilers management who had an in house solution to a glaring issue that’s showing in the regular season.

Reactions: Game 8

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Probably the best choice once it got to that point.

But there's no guarantee any RHD of note will be available in a given year, nor are they so loaded with prospects and young pieces that they would be front runners to put together the best offer if one does become available.

True... but sometimes all it takes is money... or rather, having the cap space to add in the first place is the #1 prerequisite.

Don't get me wrong, I think they bungled the RFA situation in the first place... but once it got to the offer sheets they made the right (very painful) call.

Reactions: Czechboy

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
True... but sometimes all it takes is money... or rather, having the cap space to add in the first place is the #1 prerequisite.

Don't get me wrong, I think they bungled the RFA situation in the first place... but once it got to the offer sheets they made the right (very painful) call.
The Oilers should have signed the rfas before going after UFA’s. Huge mistake. Broberg, and Holloway a big losses. Add the loss of McLeod and it’s even worse. Broberg would be their number two left shot D behind Ekholm.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
If a single TDL player won't fix our blue line then tell me again how Broberg at $4.6M would? What kind of logic is that?

The Oilers are ~$945K under the cap WITHOUT Broberg. That means the decision this summer was:

A) Sign Broberg, spend Kane's LTIR (not knowing if he'll be out all season), have zero cap at TDL and hope Broberg on his off-side is "contender top-4 ready"

VS

B) Let him walk, don't use Kane's LTIR, have $945K accrue to $4.5M at the deadline (plus Kane's LTIR if he's still projected to be out) and use that space on the best vet RD money can buy

It was definitely a rock and hard place decision and they can be blamed for putting themselves in that position, but choosing B was the only logical choice.
They didn’t need Arvidsson and his 0 points at $4 million. Offense wasn’t their problem last year.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
That is very small picture, they had lots more options. You are starting from a place where many of the mistakes had already been made.

I doubt there is a team in the NHL that wouldn't sign Broberg to a 1.8 million dollar contract right now with zero hesitation. Its early for sure but its looking like a huge mistake

We are talking about that point in time though... match or let walk.

I don't think there is any argument against the Oilers needing to have done a better job to avoid the offer sheets in the first place. Having said that, I think the dual offer sheets for ~$7M was a surprise for everyone, including Oilers management.

And your last paragraph makes zero sense. That's what the Oilers were offering, in the 1.8M range... You need the counterparty to sign it though... and Broberg preferred $4.6M which was never in the realm of possible for Edmonton.

And at $4.6M it isn't hard to make an argument that the risk Broberg would step forward THIS YEAR and cover that $4.6M bet was... I dunno... riskier than spending that $4.6M (or $9.2M if 50% retained) on a more established D-man at the deadline.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
They didn’t need Arvidsson and his 0 points at $4 million. Offense wasn’t their problem last year.

How sure are you of that?

The Oilers lost game 7 by a score of 2-1. In the games they lost (1, 2, 3, 7) they averaged only 1.25 goals/game. That's not enough to win, no matter what your D and goalie do.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
How sure are you of that?

The Oilers lost game 7 by a score of 2-1. In the games they lost (1, 2, 3, 7) they averaged only 1.25 goals/game. That's not enough to win, no matter what your D and goalie do.
I mean sure if you cherry picked stats. That obviously wasn’t enough. Fact is they scored 86 goals in 25 games. Overall that’s enough. Your goalies only gave up 61 goals.

Edit: if I had seen that statline I would have guessed you won.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The Oilers didn't really have a problem last year. They lost to a better team in game 7. Their defense was really good. Their goaltending was pretty good (this might have been their "weakness" but Skinner always bounced back from bad performances to play well). Their special teams were amazing, their offense was good.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
In all fairness, the Oilers have had an issue on their 2nd line wings. They spent most of the last three years cycling bottom six wingers in and out of the 2nd line, hoping someone would stick. We had guys like McLeod and Foegele contribute for a short time in that spot, and then go stone cold, showing that they weren't going to be the solution to that spot. Did they need a $4M player to come in? Maybe they didn't, but they needed someone there, and they were already losing Foegele and his 2M, so adding a guy who has historically been a better scorer is a bit of a no brainer. In hindsight, would I have preferred they use that money to re-sign Holloway and Broberg? Yes, yes I would have liked to have had them do that, but nobody saw the Blues offer for Broberg coming. Not at that cap hit, and if the Oil would have signed him to that, they would have been the laughing stock of the league. It's only because the Blues aren't a contender and weren't expected to compete that this type of offer was made okay. So yes, if we had a crystal ball and been able to see the future, I would have used Arvidsson's 4M to sign Broberg and Holloway and try Holloway on the 2nd line to start. But we thought we were going to get Holloway signed so we would have been able to keep both. I suspect Broberg was holding out for an offer from another team anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if he was waiting for an offer sheet so he could get to a team that was more likely to give him a shot - I wouldn't be surprised if he was disgruntled with the Oilers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Czechboy

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
The Oilers didn't really have a problem last year. They lost to a better team in game 7. Their defense was really good. Their goaltending was pretty good (this might have been their "weakness" but Skinner always bounced back from bad performances to play well). Their special teams were amazing, their offense was good.
Their special team was really good but then they proceeded to basically get rid of everyone that was on their PK last year?

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
And your last paragraph makes zero sense. That's what the Oilers were offering, in the 1.8M range... You need the counterparty to sign it though... and Broberg preferred $4.6M which was never in the realm of possible for Edmonton.
I thought the oilers offered 1.1-1.2 and Broberg’s ask was 1.8

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Their special team was really good but then they proceeded to basically get rid of everyone that was on their PK last year?
Not "basically everyone", but there was certainly some turnover on the pk'ers.

- Foegele - signed for too much elsewhere
- Desharnais - signed for too much elsewhere
- Ceci - fans wanted him gone for like, forever - this trade isn't bearing fruit, and won't unless we find an upgrade on Ceci before the deadline.
- McLeod - too inconsistent.

We still have key PK'ers Ekholm, Nuge, C. Brown, Janmark and Ryan. We lost 4 pk'ers. Ceci was great in the playoffs on the pk, even if he wasn't in the regular season. Losing Desharnais hurts the pk, but it probabl helps us 5 on 5. McLeod's contributions should be replaceable internally. Foegele's as well. We have a couple of other guys who should be able to step in - its mostly the Ceci spot that is the real hole right now. And we have to question if the Oilers playoff success on the PK would have continued into this season even if we had all of the same personnel.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I'm pretty sure Broberg asked for a trade last year. Despite him being injected into the lineup during the 2nd round of the playoffs and his sparkling play in the 10 games or so that he played bolstered the Oilers defense and he single handedly prevented them from imploding in the 2nd round vs Vancouver.

Oilers mishandled him from the start. If they put him into the lineup 2 years ago, then he likely never would have asked for a trade. But the Oilers chose to play studs like Ceci Deshairnais and Kulak over him.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Except they didn't? Pretty sure Ekholm, Nurse, Kulak, Brown, Janmark, Henrique, Nugent Hopkins, Ryan, are still on the team.

PK is a finnicky thing, you can get into a good groove if you've been playing together for 90+ games but if something is a half second off, it can change things in a hurry. It would help if the goalie's would make a freaking save too, your best PKer has to be your goalie.

Oilers start a lot of season's slow anyway, it's not like this year is breaking news, they were even worse to start last year at 2-9-1. Previous year they started 2-3, the Canadian division year 3-6. There was one year in there where they were 5-0 but then simply moved the losing streaking into late November.

I'm pretty sure Broberg asked for a trade last year. Despite him being injected into the lineup during the 2nd round of the playoffs and his sparkling play in the 10 games or so that he played bolstered the Oilers defense and he single handedly prevented them from imploding in the 2nd round vs Vancouver.

He didn't play in the 2nd round against Vancouver, lol.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad