OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Wheels and Sarge out.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyersguy33*

What OF is better in 2014...Bautista/Revere/Byrd or Brown/Revere/Byrd?

Well this team isn't going to win anytime soon so why trade a guy who showed a ton of promise for a guy on the decline?

This trade would just be idiotic in pretty much every sense. Let Brown play and have the chance to become what he was said to be. Bautista isn't brining us a WS.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Well this team isn't going to win anytime soon so why trade a guy who showed a ton of promise for a guy on the decline?

This trade would just be idiotic in pretty much every sense. Let Brown play and have the chance to become what he was said to be. Bautista isn't brining us a WS.

Bautista is a HUGE bat in the middle of the lineup

Revere
Utley
Bautista
Howard
Rollins
Asche
Byrd
Catcher

Rotation

Hamels
Lee
MAG
Pitcher
Pitcher

I don't know really what to think honestly.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
This is a moot point, enough pundits have wiped this rumor off. Only Eskin is saying this, every other national/local writer is debunking it.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
I'd rather have Brown. There are some guys I'd consider for Brown but Bautista is not one of them. Plus if you add in more with Brown, that's even more young guys gone in Amaro's desperate attempt to cling to this generation. No.

Amaro, hand over the damn phone!
tumblr_lyugn8Oism1qzydh2o1_r1_500.gif

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Not sure how I feel about the Byrd signing. Is he going to play every day? I also don't know who else was available. I doubt he comes close matching the production he put up in PIT last season.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Not sure how I feel about the Byrd signing. Is he going to play every day? I also don't know who else was available. I doubt he comes close matching the production he put up in PIT last season.

Outfielders I would've rather taken a chance on (despite money:)

Carlos Beltran
Jacoby Ellsbury
Nelson Cruz
Curtis Granderson
Shin-Soo Choo

If they were gonna sign anyone I would've rather had those guys. I was also fine with letting Ruf play.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Its clear that the budget is shrinking. If it was getting bigger Amaro would've been all over Granderson/Choo. He's not allowed to go too high, so he has to bargain basement shop.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
He shouldn't even be shopping at this point, he should be committed to transitioning into the next core. The time to shop will come in a few years..well it should, but with him the suck will be prolonged.

I really hope Lee doesn't fall off a cliff (pun not intended) this year because we'll be stuck in a bad place.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
If we added something along the lines of:

Wieters
Granderson
Choo

or Bautista for the Brown+ instead of Grandy or Choo, I'd be excited again for a couple more years of contention.

Choo (RF)
Byrd (LF)
Utley (2B)
Bautista (3B)
Howard (1B)
Wieters (C)
Rollins (SS)
Revere (CF)
Pitcher

Not too bad. How much money do we have to burn this year? :sarcasm:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
If we added something along the lines of:

Wieters
Granderson
Choo

or Bautista for the Brown+ instead of Grandy or Choo, I'd be excited again for a couple more years of contention.

Choo (RF)
Byrd (LF)
Utley (2B)
Bautista (3B)
Howard (1B)
Wieters (C)
Rollins (SS)
Revere (CF)
Pitcher

Not too bad. How much money do we have to burn this year? :sarcasm:

Writers kept using 45 mil, but when they go cheap and get Marlon Frigging Byrd, its obviously they don't have much.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Writers kept using 45 mil, but when they go cheap and get Marlon Frigging Byrd, its obviously they don't have much.

And really the first thing they need to address is a LH out of the bullpen in addition to Diekman and maybe an 8th inning guy to support Adams.

I REALLY wouldn't mind giving Ryan Madson another spin as a potential 7th-8th inning guy, unless his arm is dead after injuries.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
And really the first thing they need to address is a LH out of the bullpen in addition to Diekman and maybe an 8th inning guy to support Adams.

I REALLY wouldn't mind giving Ryan Madson another spin as a potential 7th-8th inning guy, unless his arm is dead after injuries.

They have Bastardo...

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
As much as I want to dismiss Eskins rumor...I just think back to how stupid I thought he was being when he rumored the Richards/Carter deals. Not to mention I could see Amaro doing a deal like that...

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Matt Wieters may be avail from Balt. Need a C, he's a solid one.

Arguably the best defensive catcher in the league, switch hitter w/ pop, in the prime of his career. Amaro would get fleeced. If the Yankees weren't in the same division, they would be a no-brainer.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/nl-east-rumors.html

The Phillies are willing to listen on Domonic Brown, but a rumored Brown-for-Jose Bautista swap isn't happening, tweets Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com.

Phillies GM Ruben Amaro isn't eager to move young talent, tweets Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer. "Everybody is looking for the same thing, and that's young controllable players. There is no reason for us to be moving any of them," the GM said.

Take the second quote with a grain of salt, because every GM lies in the game.

Stonehands77

Jul 8, 2002
Waltham, MA
So I'm finally reading David Murphy's piece about the problem with the Phillies decision making, found here: The problem with the Phillies, in eight of their GM's words. Those key 8 words, and why Murphy feels their wrong:

Said Amaro: "I have to trust my scouts on it."

There it is. Print it out, highlight it, and hang it on your refrigerator with the 2014 schedule magnet that implores you to purchase tickets. Because here's The Thing: Amaro does not have to trust his scouts on it. In fact, he should not trust his scouts on it. He should listen to them. He should conisder what they say. But he should not trust them to make his decisions for him. Because this is not 1998 anymore, and the way that decisions need to be made in Major League Baseball no longer calls for an exclusive reliance on the expert testimony of three or four men.

I thought the article as a whole was interesting, and it underlines the issues with Amaro's "Stats are for nerds" approach to modern baseball decision making. They're ignoring valuable data and making decisions in a way that just doesn't work anymore, and it's turned them from a team with a promising future after winning a WS into an aging, overpaid, underperforming team that everyone BUT Amaro saw coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad