OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Wheels and Sarge out.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Howard Eskin ‏@howardeskin 11m
#phillies GM Ruben Amaro deep in serious talks w #bluejays to acquire OF Jose Batista. Can also play 3rd. Phils would deal OF Dom Brown plus

Howard Eskin ‏@howardeskin 9m
Jose Batista fits 4 #phillies. Under contract for 2 more yrs. Phils would have more balance from right side also after signing Marlon Byrd

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
If I were an owner and I saw/heard these rumors I would get on the phone and ask what the hot hell Amaro may or may not be doing.

Or try and rob him blind. Philadelphia, home of the old, broken down, senile baseball players. A great retirement community, physicals not necessary. We accept everyone!

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Barnwell from Grantland(espn) tweeted about it too, not sure where he got it but it's national now. And he doesn't follow Eskin. :laugh:

Barnwell: Jose Bautista's peak was in 2010-2011, which makes him a perfect fit for the Phillies.
11:35pm - 12 Nov 13

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
5983.gif

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Guys who consistently put up 4 WAR or better are the guys making around $20 mil in free agency. A 4 WAR player is a guy who has a good chance to make the all-star team.

Above average, non-star players tend to get more $ per WAR than superstars do. It might not make sense to you but that's the reality.

Look at what other OFs got last year: Torrii Hunter got 2 years, $26 mil; Ryan Ludwick got 2 years, $15 mil; Johnny Gomes got 2 years and $10 mil, Ichiro got 2 years, $13 mil; Cody Ross got 3 years and $26 mil.

I know what a 4 WAR player is man, but I do not agree at all with Fangraphs valuations. What 4 WAR players actually make $20 million per year?

If everyone is giving out bad contracts to average players than you don't sign average players, you give someone in the organization a shot or you take a chance on someone that is undervalued.

Stonehands77

Jul 8, 2002
Waltham, MA
@JonHeymanCBS
just to clear something up, #blueJays arent trading jose bautista for dom brown. not even close.

Thank God.

I hope this is right, although Eskin is more plugged in around Philly than I ever want to admit about that smug *******.

The Byrd deal is "meh" in a vacuum, but as this article points out, it's a lot of uncertainty you're getting, plus he's 36! Ok, so am I, but I'm not a professional baseball player!

Just take the keys away from Amaro. He has no idea of what he's doing, and it's painfully obvious that he's out of touch with the reality of this team. I'd like someone in charge who isn't going to constantly sign past their prime veterans and deal away youth in an absurd chase after a playoff run that isn't going to happen.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I hope this is right, although Eskin is more plugged in around Philly than I ever want to admit about that smug *******.

The Byrd deal is "meh" in a vacuum, but as this article points out, it's a lot of uncertainty you're getting, plus he's 36! Ok, so am I, but I'm not a professional baseball player!

Just take the keys away from Amaro. He has no idea of what he's doing, and it's painfully obvious that he's out of touch with the reality of this team. I'd like someone in charge who isn't going to constantly sign past their prime veterans and deal away youth in an absurd chase after a playoff run that isn't going to happen.

The problem with Byrd to me isn't only that he's past his prime, his prime wasn't that good to begin with!

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Call me friggin crazy, I really don't hate acquiring Batista for Brown

If we were one player away from being a sure-fire WS contender, its not a bad move. If you think we are one player away from being a sure-fire WS contender, may I have some of what you are smoking.

Stonehands77

Jul 8, 2002
Waltham, MA
The problem with Byrd to me isn't only that he's past his prime, his prime wasn't that good to begin with!

As the article I linked points out, he's basically an average player over his career, with crazy variation in what he does each year. I'm just not sure what he gets a team that has basically no chance of contending this year or next. Maybe he'll be a good mentor type for the younger guys? As long as he doesn't teach them to use PEDs, I guess.

As for Bautista, no no, a thousand times no. He's 33, his trajectory is headed the wrong way, and this team is not Jose Bautista away from winning a World Series. :help:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Corner OFs can last longer than most positions, see Beltran & even Ibanez. Its not impossible to get 5 solid years out of Bautista

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
But moving Dom Brown for him is virtually a lateral move, and that's not taking into account age, which is a major deciding factor.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
But moving Dom Brown for him is virtually a lateral move, and that's not taking into account age, which is a major deciding factor.

Nah...Bautista even @ 33 is better than Brown is. They are both fragile as china dolls.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
As the article I linked points out, he's basically an average player over his career, with crazy variation in what he does each year. I'm just not sure what he gets a team that has basically no chance of contending this year or next. Maybe he'll be a good mentor type for the younger guys? As long as he doesn't teach them to use PEDs, I guess.

As for Bautista, no no, a thousand times no. He's 33, his trajectory is headed the wrong way, and this team is not Jose Bautista away from winning a World Series. :help:

Right and I agree. I'd rather take a guy like Ruf or see if you can plug in another guy from the minors over a guy that will just take up a roster spot on a non-contending team like I expect the Phillies to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad