OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Wheels and Sarge out.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Victorino wasn't 36 though, and he wasn't Marlon Byrd. What are the odds he's suspended at some point in the season for juicing last year?

No, but he was coming off a bad year and he got paid significantly more. Also, I think if Byrd got caught juicing last year then it would have already come out. Not to say I like the signing, but the price is fair.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Victorino wasn't 36 though, and he wasn't Marlon Byrd. What are the odds he's suspended at some point in the season for juicing last year?

And that would be 100 games at this point. This is a horrible deal. I know we're trying to be positive but I just can't.

You didn't need to pay him this much money. His career average in homers is 10 per season. Why don't we just sign Laynce Nix again? A trained monkey, hell an untrained goat could do a better job than Amaro at this point. This is ridiculous.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
No, but he was coming off a bad year and he got paid significantly more. Also, I think if Byrd got caught juicing last year then it would have already come out. Not to say I like the signing, but the price is fair.

I don't see how it's fair though dude. Age plays a huge roles in contracts, and he's 36. If you look at his body of work post age 30 its one good year last year, and then the rest is bad to average.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
I don't see how it's fair though dude. Age plays a huge roles in contracts, and he's 36. If you look at his body of work post age 30 its one good year last year, and then the rest is bad to average.

Last year he was a 4 WAR player, in 2010 he was a 4 WAR player and in 2011 he was just shy of 2 WAR. 2012 was a terrible year for him, but he only had 150 PAs. His recent production says he's worth it, even if his age says to be wary.

1 WAR is usually worth about $5 mil on the open market, and that equivalency is dated by a few years, so it's probably worth slightly more now. I know he's old, and I wouldn't have signed him, but $8 mil is just not that much to give a free agent anymore. Plus it's a pretty short deal.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Last year he was a 4 WAR player, in 2010 he was a 4 WAR player and in 2011 he was just shy of 2 WAR. 2012 was a terrible year for him, but he only had 150 PAs. His recent production says he's worth it, even if his age says to be wary.

1 WAR is usually worth about $5 mil on the open market, and that equivalency is dated by a few years, so it's probably worth slightly more now. I know he's old, and I wouldn't have signed him, but $8 mil is just not that much to give a free agent anymore. Plus it's a pretty short deal.

His 4 WAR in 2010 was due to his defense, aka UZR, aka bleh :laugh:

Aside from last year his OPS and WRc+ have been average at best since 2009.

There is no way 1 war is worth $5 million. That would put a 4 WAR player at being worth $20 million a year. I don't care what Fangraphs says, that makes no sense.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Awful signing. Nothing against Byrd...he had a great year and I think he would be a great addition to other teams in the league, but not ours. Byrd is not enough of an upgrade to justify giving him Rufs spot. If amaro isnt going to bring in impact players, he needs to just let the kids play and worry about growing a new core to build around. This move is just an echo of the past two offseasons...making a half assed effort to plug holes in a line up that has become fundamentally flawed.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Awful signing. Nothing against Byrd...he had a great year and I think he would be a great addition to other teams in the league, but not ours. Byrd is not enough of an upgrade to justify giving him Rufs spot. If amaro isnt going to bring in impact players, he needs to just let the kids play and worry about growing a new core to build around. This move is just an echo of the past two offseasons...making a half assed effort to plug holes in a line up that has become fundamentally flawed.

Couldn't agree more, really. I'm pissed that barring a move Ruf won't be our guy. Definitely didn't sign Byrd to that for a platoon job.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
I think the biggest thing about the Byrd signing is, he seems to have no idea how to negotiate.

Amaro: Alright Cruz, 5/75, you want it? Take the deal! You've got 5 seconds!
Cruz: Wait, can we talk-
Amaro: Nope! Byrd 2/16, deal?
Byrd: Sure.
Amaro: Great, outfield position filled. Who's next?

Oh my God, stop it. You did this with Madson and Pabelbon and now we are stuck with that moron. He has to set the market every year and it's pointless.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I think the biggest thing about the Byrd signing is, he seems to have no idea how to negotiate.

Amaro: Alright Cruz, 5/75, you want it? Take the deal! You've got 5 seconds!
Cruz: Wait, can we talk-
Amaro: Nope! Byrd 2/16, deal?
Byrd: Sure.
Amaro: Great, outfield position filled. Who's next?

Oh my God, stop it. You did this with Madson and Pabelbon and now we are stuck with that moron. He has to set the market every year and it's pointless.

I don't think he has a patient bone in his body.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
His 4 WAR in 2010 was due to his defense, aka UZR, aka bleh :laugh:

Aside from last year his OPS and WRc+ have been average at best since 2009.

There is no way 1 war is worth $5 million. That would put a 4 WAR player at being worth $20 million a year. I don't care what Fangraphs says, that makes no sense.

Guys who consistently put up 4 WAR or better are the guys making around $20 mil in free agency. A 4 WAR player is a guy who has a good chance to make the all-star team.

Above average, non-star players tend to get more $ per WAR than superstars do. It might not make sense to you but that's the reality.

Look at what other OFs got last year: Torrii Hunter got 2 years, $26 mil; Ryan Ludwick got 2 years, $15 mil; Johnny Gomes got 2 years and $10 mil, Ichiro got 2 years, $13 mil; Cody Ross got 3 years and $26 mil.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
FWIW:

Eskin: I'm told #phillies working on a major trade. Details tonight at 10:50 @FOX29philly news. Will tweet after news.
10:14pm - 12 Nov 13

MadFerIt95*

Bautista is injury prone, strikes out too much, and isnt worth Brown, let alone Brown++.... plz stay away Ruben plz stay away plz plz plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad