Philadelphia Flyers only have one major individual award winner in the 21st century

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Do you want to make $1,000 a day without leaving the comfort of your own home? Click here to find out how.
Yes, and I’d be happy to find out that it’s a PROVEN system that totally still works and you’re just sharing it out of the goodness of your own heart.

Reactions: daver

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They should be full on rebuilding instead of whatever it is briere is doing over there

We've been shouting this from the rooftops over on the HF Flyers board, but we're a decided minority amongst the wider fan base. Far too many of them still think the Broad Street Bullies era style works, and haven't come to grips with the changes in how the game is played over the last 50 years or so, let alone with the changes in how teams are built. It's GD depressing at times, even when we do once in a blue moon blind squirrel our way into a reason for optimism like Michkov.

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
We've been shouting this from the rooftops over on the HF Flyers board, but we're a decided minority amongst the wider fan base. Far too many of them still think the Broad Street Bullies era style works, and haven't come to grips with the changes in how the game is played over the last 50 years or so, let alone with the changes in how teams are built. It's GD depressing at times, even when we do once in a blue moon blind squirrel our way into a reason for optimism like Michkov.

Honest question for Flyers fans, is Danny Briere actually in charge in Philadelphia? I know that the old guard along still has a lot of influence, and Comcast ultimately pulls the strings.

I would not want Briere’s job in a million years.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Honest question for Flyers fans, is Danny Briere actually in charge in Philadelphia? I know that the old guard along still has a lot of influence, and Comcast ultimately pulls the strings.

Not really. Brière and Jones were hired, as far as we're aware, on the condition that they would not seek to replace Tortorella, who the corporate bosses really like (you don't get people calling you the team's "spiritual leader" if they don't). Torts publicly disclaims any interest in managing the roster, but a good number of decisions they made appear to be in alignment with what Torts would want even when they're detrimental to the team's future success, so either they're in lockstep or they're deferring to him. Both are equally bad outcomes.

As for the "foundational titans" (another quote that drives most of us round the twist), there was some optimism that they were being sidelined early on, but again, they were involved in the decisions that led to the team prior to this one being put into place, and that team led to this one being put into place, so even if they're not actively involved (and Barber seems to be advising Hilferty directly, if I'm not mixing things up) their influence over the process is still being felt a generation removed.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
1 more than the pathetic Utah franchise, they need to be relocated after their so called "performances"

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I look forward to the inevitable "is Michkov the greatest player in Philadelphia Flyers history?" thread after his first big scoring season, or maybe if he wins the Calder.
We never had anyone win the Calder, so he’d have the leg up on the hype machine.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

There’s only 32 of these jobs and he was groomed by Comcast for it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What stars? The Flyers haven't had a player in the same tier as Matthews , Nylander or even Marner in decades.
So you just ignore Giroux has finished top 3 in scoring 3 times the last 13 years? Or that G has 2 top 4 finishes in Hart voting?

What years did Marner and Nylander do that?

Hell, Voracek has as many top 4 finishes in scoring races the last decade as Matthews, Marner, and Nylander combined.

:laugh:

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
So you just ignore Giroux has finished top 3 in scoring 3 times the last 13 years? Or that G has 2 top 4 finishes in Hart voting?

Hell, Voracek has as many top 4 finishes in scoring races the last decade as Matthews, Marner, and Nylander combined.

Chris Pronger exists

Reactions: PainForShane

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario

Their primes were 10 years ago and had nothing burger careers. Sorry , we got a Hart and rockets that might be added to.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Has to sting a bit here when Bobrovsky has more individual awards than entire Flyers organization and a cup on top of it

Flyer's handling of Bobrovsky was terrible at time and in hindsight was absurd

That trade IMO is the worst in Flyer's history (Anyone arguing Lindros trade ignores Lindros brought Flyers back to relevance and they got some good years out of him as one of the top players in NHL)
The Lindros trade looks a lot worse in hindsight because of only Forsberg (I know I’m captain obvious). I bet even the Nords/Avs were a bit surprised how good he became and more or less was in the same realm as Lindros himself. If Forsberg doesn’t become a legit superstar in his own right and becomes a 1st/2nd line player that trade is viewed a lot differently. Not that the Nords shouldn’t get cred for getting Forsberg, but I think that was a bit of a wildcard that surprised a lot of people. Some will probably think this is sour grapes as I’m a Flyers fan but I’ll always maintain it was a sound trade with good logic from the Flyers perspective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad