Philadelphia Flyers only have one major individual award winner in the 21st century

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
The Lindros trade looks a lot worse in hindsight because of only Forsberg (I know I’m captain obvious)….Some will probably think this is sour grapes as I’m a Flyers fan but I’ll always maintain it was a sound trade with good logic from the Flyers perspective.

Look up Eric Lindros trade tree and you’ll see a lot of names that are engraved on the Stanley Cup.

Hint: Eric Lindros isn’t one of them.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Look up Eric Lindros trade tree and you’ll see a lot of names that are engraved on the Stanley Cup.

Hint: Eric Lindros isn’t one of them.
I know all about it but I believe the cup is a team accomplishment and the Avs were a well run team. With Sakic and Roy they had a great base and probably would have made a go of it in some way. I’m not saying the Avs didn’t benefit from it; perhaps my gripe is more looking in hindsight when the hockey gods or fortune greatly smile or frown. If a team traded a legit 1st line player for 2 2nd round picks fans of the 1st team would be pissed. If those 2nds turned into Duncan Keith and Kucherov the trade is viewed differently. I think Forsberg hit as high a percentile as possible and that often won’t be the case and those types of things can’t be counted on or projected

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Their primes were 10 years ago and had nothing burger careers. Sorry , we got a Hart and rockets that might be added to.
What does that have to do with you saying:

"The Flyers haven't had a player in the same tier as Matthews , Nylander or even Marner in decades"

Nylander and Marner have yet to eclipse what Voracek did....let alone sniffing Giroux. Obviously Matthews is different since he is the one with the Hart and Rocket. But again, Nylander and Marner are not close to doing what Giroux did....and that was the entire point.

Reactions: PainForShane

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
What rich history do they have in the 21st century?

Their fanbase constantly mocked rivals for "tanking" while they were competitively "retooling" every few years behind their insane owner's tirades.

They sure have some great tools now. Disgraziato:
hq720.jpg

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hard to believe the Philadelphia Flyers have only one of those homemade trophy points.

Actually Philadelphia was quite the IT destination up until after their 2010 Stanley Cup run which precipitated their little retool dumping Carter and Richards and Bobrovsky a little bit later. Really seemed to lose their Big League, villain team feel after the mid 2010s.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
The Flyers old boys club has a stranglehold on this franchise. Management is too proud/stupid to ever do a full tear down rebuild, so what we get is just a shitty retool every 4 or 5 years that accomplishes nothing but being a playoff tweener.

For management, no trophies is a feature, not a bug.

Reactions: pit and Amorgus

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
The Leafs haven’t had success since the moon landing let alone the 21st century.
The Leafs old and current greats are people they parade during war ceremonies. In a couple of years, sadly they will pass.

The entire Flyers franchise is built on rotten garbage, and Tortorella now churning that vile pot.

"We didn't tell him to go get cancer. It's too bad that he did. We feel sorry for him, but then he went goofy on us."
rpger1-e1304738734197.jpeg

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Cechmanek should have won the Vezina over Hasek in 2001. He finished 4th in MVP voting and Hasek finished 8th, yet Cechmanek was runner-up for Vezina.

Ghost should have wont he Calder over Panarin - especially when factoring in the age difference.

Giroux should have won the Hart over Taylor Hall in 2018 as well.

Other then that, yeah it's been ugly.

I get your vitriol , it just seems weird that Philadelphia is a hockey city but have not had a serious star since Lindros.

Claude Giroux was a legitimate star for a decade (2010-2020). 4th in scoring behind just Kane, Crosby, and Ovechkin while playing with nowhere near the calibre of teammates. He had 3 top 4 Hart finishes in that span.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
They may not have any individual awards but that 2010 playoff run (especially the comeback against Boston) is more impressive than anything my team has done over the same period

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It's:

Hart Trophy win = 5 points
Norris/Vezina Trophy win = 3 points
Art Ross/Rocket Richard Trophy win = 2 points
Calder/Selke Trophy win = 1 point

Not sure what their reasoning is for those point values, seems pretty arbitrary to me.
ah ok

habs were very high but it was all due to

Price and Theodore with 8 point seasons with Hart and Vezina

And then PK with the Norris

Its crazy that they have Norris/Vezina over Art Ross

I would think

Hart - 5
Art Ross - 4
Norris/Rocket/Vezina - 3
Selke 2
Calder 1

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It's:

Hart Trophy win = 5 points
Norris/Vezina Trophy win = 3 points
Art Ross/Rocket Richard Trophy win = 2 points
Calder/Selke Trophy win = 1 point

Not sure what their reasoning is for those point values, seems pretty arbitrary to me.
1 trophy 1 point . Better system

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad