Other Sports: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Vegas, Baby! (2023 Regular Season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Wasn’t able to watch the game but happy to see the W. Not happy to see a pick 6 and a fumble lost. Also not happy about Hurts’ rushing stats this year. I understand there is nuance but he just isn’t being used to the best of his ability it seems. He was paid big money because of the dual threat aspect. If you can’t figure out how to make him effective in the running game, or you are babying him because he has a huge contract, they shouldn’t have paid that money then.
I mean, the pick 6 was really just a heck of a play by the MIA rush to tip it. The fumble, yea can't have it.

Hurts ran enough, when it was needed...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Wasn’t able to watch the game but happy to see the W. Not happy to see a pick 6 and a fumble lost. Also not happy about Hurts’ rushing stats this year. I understand there is nuance but he just isn’t being used to the best of his ability it seems. He was paid big money because of the dual threat aspect. If you can’t figure out how to make him effective in the running game, or you are babying him because he has a huge contract, they shouldn’t have paid that money then.
Check where the Eagles rank in the top offensive categories.
They're an elite offense except for the red zone, and last night they were better there.
Work in progress, but Hurts is learning to stay in the pocket and move around - still developing a feel for traffic and when to take off or throw it away, but getting better.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Check where the Eagles rank in the top offensive categories.
They're an elite offense except for the red zone, and last night they were better there.
Work in progress, but Hurts is learning to stay in the pocket and move around - still developing a feel for traffic and when to take off or throw it away, but getting better.
Hurts is at his best when he's extending plays and allowing his WRs to make the additional moves to get open. He's at his worst on designed QB keepers from the shotgun.

We need to stop intentionally using him as a battering ram. If a play breaks down and there's room to run, let him take off, and he's being smart about avoiding contact in the open field. Just stop intentionally trying to use him to run. He's our biggest weapon in the backfield, prioritize keeping him healthy. And the best way to have him continue developing as a passer is to avoid putting him in situations where he's going to get hurt.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Desai seems like a massive upgrade on Gannon. Tailored game plans for each opponent. What a concept! Lol
When was the last time the Eagles shut down a good QB?
Gannon did a great job on the bottom ten types, but usually got smoked by good QBs.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
When was the last time the Eagles shut down a good QB?
Gannon did a great job on the bottom ten types, but usually got smoked by good QBs.

They really only played 4 QBs last year that were even good. They held on for dear life against Goff. Dak killed them all day in the one game he played. They did hold Rodgers completely in check, which would be the answer to your question. And then Mahomes gutted them like a fish. I’m not a Rodgers fan to the degree others are, but he’s still good.

I don’t really agree on the bottom 10 specifics, but I do think there’s very much something to the idea of not being able to play vanilla defenses against the top QBs in the league in the playoffs. Mahomes, good Allen, and healthy Burrows are so outrageously good that the only hope you have of stopping them is to confuse them into making mistakes. This has been the Bills’ biggest problem. They take the same approach Gannon does, which relies on your players simply outplaying the offense. The true top tier QBs change the calculus completely.

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
They really only played 4 QBs last year that were even good. They held on for dear life against Goff. Dak killed them all day in the one game he played. They did hold Rodgers completely in check, which would be the answer to your question. And then Mahomes gutted them like a fish. I’m not a Rodgers fan to the degree others are, but he’s still good.

I don’t really agree on the bottom 10 specifics, but I do think there’s very much something to the idea of not being able to play vanilla defenses against the top QBs in the league in the playoffs. Mahomes, good Allen, and healthy Burrows are so outrageously good that the only hope you have of stopping them is to confuse them into making mistakes. This has been the Bills’ biggest problem. They take the same approach Gannon does, which relies on your players simply outplaying the offense. The true top tier QBs change the calculus completely.
I'm still salty about the SB because I do believe there were some shenanigans in play with how shitty that field was. It completely neutered our pass rush, which was the only way we'd have been able to contain Mahomes, and to see that the groundskeeper was and is a huge KC fan who was given a SB ring.... Yeah, it doesn't sit well with me.

Gannon still sucks at his job, but I am not sure anyone was going to be able to shut down Mahomes with the way things were a bit stacked in their favor that night.

Reactions: achdumeingute

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you play a vanilla, safe scheme against a good QB, he'll carve you up - that's why they're good QBs!

You can patiently wait for a bottom ten type to self-destruct, and 8 of 10 games you'll get your wish, b/c that's why they're bad QBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad