OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Don't Cry Because It's Over, Smile Because it Happened (Offseason - 2023)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieTheGreat1

Sharp, Pointy Teeth
Jul 24, 2011
Camelot
I took a video but can’t figure out how to post it but did anyone see Josh Harris with Joe buck and Troy aikman tonight and Joe buck was speaking with his hands moving and Josh Harris in middle of interview thought he was trying to shake his hand so he did and aikman started cracking up

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
@Beef Invictus

Are you a card carrying member of The Howelliban?

I've been on the fence for weeks about a small wager on Washington to win the Division.

You can get close to +2k in some books. Let's call it +1800. Implied odds puts that about 5 and a quarter percent. That's clearly wrong. I just don't know if that's a margin I want to wade into without combining it with something else. If the Giants were priced better or I liked them more, I'd play both.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I took a video but can’t figure out how to post it but did anyone see Josh Harris with Joe buck and Troy aikman tonight and Joe buck was speaking with his hands moving and Josh Harris in middle of interview thought he was trying to shake his hand so he did and aikman started cracking up
@Hollywood Cannon posted it in the NBA thread

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I've been on the fence for weeks about a small wager on Washington to win the Division.

You can get close to +2k in some books. Let's call it +1800. Implied odds puts that about 5 and a quarter percent. That's clearly wrong. I just don't know if that's a margin I want to wade into without combining it with something else. If the Giants were priced better or I liked them more, I'd play both.

A lot is gonna have to go their way. Del Rio will need to stop being massively lazy. They need to keep the whole team healthy, because as ever the drop from starter to lower strings is too massive. Nobody knows what Bieniemy is as a play caller. I like a lot of their stated ideas on offense at least, especially given who they have. TE is currently a theoretical position.

As much as I distrust Daniel Jones, I can't ignore how effective their coaches proved to be at getting the most out of a void of a roster. I like the Giants more. A more known quantity, somehow. The team I'd least like to bet on is Dallas.

• Wow
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
A lot is gonna have to go their way. Del Rio will need to stop being massively lazy. They need to keep the whole team healthy, because as ever the drop from starter to lower strings is too massive. Nobody knows what Bieniemy is as a play caller. I like a lot of their stated ideas on offense at least, especially given who they have. TE is currently a theoretical position.

As much as I distrust Daniel Jones, I can't ignore how effective their coaches proved to be at getting the most out of a void of a roster. I like the Giants more. A more known quantity, somehow. The team I'd least like to bet on is Dallas.

The Giants have a better record than Washington more than 50% of the time. But this is a specific theoretical wager. The Giants also have no reasonable path to being better than everyone else in the Division short of implosions across the board.

Washington has jackpot outcomes. Bienemy and a functional QB meaningfully raise the ceiling of the offense. McLaurin is a true #1. They have two other targets I like very much for him. The defense was 9th in DVOA with Young playing in 3 games. They’re playing the 4th place schedule. They had worse than league average injury luck last year.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Giants have a better record than Washington more than 50% of the time. But this is a specific theoretical wager. The Giants also have no reasonable path to being better than everyone else in the Division short of implosions across the board.

Washington has jackpot outcomes. Bienemy and a functional QB meaningfully raise the ceiling of the offense. McLaurin is a true #1. They have two other targets I like very much for him. The defense was 9th in DVOA with Young playing in 3 games. They’re playing the 4th place schedule. They had worse than league average injury luck last year.

I am 1000% convinced a deep dive will find JDR's defense becomes less effective with Young in and the D line healthy. It's insane, but I am positive. When they're all there, JDR tends to fall into the most woefully Flyersesque "ROLES" thinking imaginable. The line is for getting sacks and slowing runners. LBs clean up runs or drop back to cover, despite all of them being terrible at that and being best served attacking. CBs/Safeties are for coverage. These sacred roles do not deviate. The end result is watching teams dedicate everything they have to stop Young and Sweat from getting to the QB, while massive holes are left for the QB to pass or run through. They get great pressure numbers, but don't generate sacks because the holes made get used by the offense to escape with nobody from behind the D line moving up to take advantage. QBs get to pick apart the woeful LBs who aren't being used to their talents.

When Young or Sweat or both are out, lo and behold JDR has to get off his lazy ass and figure something out. He actually calls blitzes and has to make things work instead of lazily seeing if two guys can win in the trenches without support while he drops everyone else back to cover for too long. It's agonizing. I would love it if he ran the defense like he does when those guys are out, when they are in. Daniel Jones of all QBs has been the most lethal at deciding to take the large gaps that don't have rushers coming through them.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe

Sam Howell QB1 stonks.
I honestly think he's the best out of that 22 class (not saying much at this point) and always thought he would be in the middle tier of starting QBs.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Sam Howell QB1 stonks.
I honestly think he's the best out of that 22 class (not saying much at this point) and always thought he would be in the middle tier of starting QBs.

I think last night was one of the rare times that preseason taught me something important.

Jake Fromm is in Washington. They've Mushed themselves.

Last edited:

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I think this was one of the rare times that preseason taught me something very important last night.

Jake Fromm is in Washington. They've Mushed themselves.
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Basically, you're betting on a Hurts' injury. If he's healthy, I think the odds are very long that anyone beats out the Eagles.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Basically, you're betting on a Hurts' injury. If he's healthy, I think the odds are very long that anyone beats out the Eagles.

I get why you think this. I really do. Of course that would kill them. But I think it's a fundamental misunderstanding of what has happened to the Eagles this offseason.

The loss of Shane Steichen is not talked about nearly enough for my liking. I'm not saying Brian Johnson will be bad. I have absolutely no idea. But *deep breath* Hurts' abilities limit what you can do schematically in the passing game. As an in-game adjustor, Steichen was downright sparkling. He was able to make small tinkers that leveraged Hurts' invaluable ability to threaten the defense with his legs to their fullest. That is not easy. Assuming Johnson will be able to do that is not a defensible position to me. Hopefully he can. Stoutland is still there and still has meaningful input on designs.

It is my opinion that most of the Eagles' growth over the MoF in the passing game last year was simply adding the 4th best WR in football who cannot be stopped by any human being on the planet with regularity on those in-breaking routes. They have as good of a top 3 weapons as anyone in football, but absolutely nothing behind them. Less so Goedert because he wins in ways they can better compensate for elsewhere, but a Brown or Smith injury would be extremely high impact.

And then there's the defense. I do think Desai will be a solid upgrade. But DB play is volatile by nature from year to year. I love James Bradberry. He's probably not as good next year. Neither is Slay. Neither is the turnover luck. They're one injury away from total disaster on the 2nd level.

Quite frankly, I think you're being hilariously dismissive of Dallas. No, they're not quite as good. But it's not a chasm. The Dallas defense is still the best unit in the Division. Defenses are of course more volatile, but that's pretty clearly the best defense in the entire league. They have major question marks too. In particular for me, it's two things -- playcalling and whether or not Michael Gallup looks all the way back in his 2nd year after the ACL tear.

All posts that take this as me saying anything negative about Hurts will not get a response. This is not the case. Players have strengths and weaknesses. It's ok to discuss that. I hate that I have to say that. I guess let me toss in here on another positive note that it wouldn't surprise me if Hurts' stats were much better this year than last. He barely ever threw the ball late in games. That's not happening again.

Last edited:

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I get why you think this. I really do. Of course that would kill them. But I think it's a fundamental misunderstanding of what has happened to the Eagles this offseason.

The loss of Shane Steichen is not talked about nearly enough for my liking. I'm not saying Brian Johnson will be bad. I have absolutely no idea. But *deep breath* Hurts' abilities limit what you can do schematically in the passing game. As an in-game adjustor, Steichen was downright sparkling. He was able to make small tinkers that leveraged Hurts' invaluable ability to threaten the defense with his legs to their fullest. That is not easy. Assuming Johnson will be able to do that is not something I think we can assume. Hopefully he can. Stoutland is still there and still has meaningful input on designs.

It is my opinion that most of the Eagles' growth over the MoF in the passing game last year was simply adding the 4th best WR in football who cannot be stopped by any human being on the planet with regularity on those in-breaking routes. They have as good of a top 3 weapons as anyone in football, but absolutely nothing behind them. Less so Goedert because he wins in ways they can better compensate for elsewhere, but a Brown or Smith injury would be extremely high impact.

And then there's the defense. I do think Desai will be a solid upgrade. But DB play is volatile by nature from year to year. I love James Bradberry. He's probably not as good next year. Neither is Slay. Neither is the turnover luck. They're one injury away from total disaster on the 2nd level.

Quite frankly, I think you're being hilariously dismissive of Dallas. No, they're not quite as good. But it's not a chasm. The Dallas defense is still the best unit in the Division. Defenses are of course more volatile, but that's pretty clearly the best defense in the entire league. They have major question marks too. In particular for me, it's two things -- playcalling and whether or not Michael Gallup looks all the way back in his 2nd year after the ACL tear.

All posts that take this as me saying anything negative about Hurts will not get a response. This is not the case. Players have strengths and weaknesses. It's ok to discuss that. I hate that I have to say that. I guess let me toss in here on another positive note that it wouldn't surprise me if Hurts' stats were much better this year than last. He barely ever threw the ball late in games. That's not happening again.

With all of this being said...

If it cost the Eagles a 3rd round pick, should Howie boy trade for Jonathon Taylor? Would he make that big of a difference with your concerns?

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
With all of this being said...

If it cost the Eagles a 3rd round pick, should Howie boy trade for Jonathon Taylor? Would he make that big of a difference with your concerns?

I don't see a world in which you can get him for a 3. At some point the return is so low that it starts butting up against what he could give you when he walks in a comp pick.

The teams that should consider Taylor at expected cost are the ones that will grind him into dust. That's not the Eagles. They have Hurts and 4 good RBs.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The Cowboys pushed the Eagles to the brink last season in a season where the Eagles had as good of results as you could dream of. They're bringing back probably the best defense in the NFL (as Jojo said) and their offense has been one of the better ones for years. Just because they're the Cowboys doesn't mean that they're going to fall on their face. They tend to do that in the playoffs anyway so when it comes to the division...

Now I think that they're going to take a major step backwards when it comes to play calling with going from Kellen Moore to Brian Schottenheimer but the Eagles are very likely to be doing the same with Steichen to Johnson (and Gannon to Desai).

The Eagles having to deal with two new coordinators isn't going to be easy and it's going to take time.

The division isn't going to be a cakewalk.

Would I put money on the Commanders to win the division? Nope but the odds do seemingly have an edge which is how money is made.

With all of that said, the Eagles are going to be a good team but I won't be surprised if they're not great for a good portion of the year which will put the division majorly up for grabs.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Cowboys pushed the Eagles to the brink last season in a season where the Eagles had as good of results as you could dream of. They're bringing back probably the best defense in the NFL (as Jojo said) and their offense has been one of the better ones for years. Just because they're the Cowboys doesn't mean that they're going to fall on their face. They tend to do that in the playoffs anyway so when it comes to the division...

Now I think that they're going to take a major step backwards when it comes to play calling with going from Kellen Moore to Brian Schottenheimer but the Eagles are very likely to be doing the same with Steichen to Johnson (and Gannon to Desai).

The Eagles having to deal with two new coordinators isn't going to be easy and it's going to take time.

The division isn't going to be a cakewalk.

Would I put money on the Commanders to win the division? Nope but the odds do seemingly have an edge which is how money is made.

With all of that said, the Eagles are going to be a good team but I won't be surprised if they're not great for a good portion of the year which will put the division majorly up for grabs.

Ok but what if I told you they're the Cowboys.

Reactions: swami24

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I have no problem with Desai. The hire was fine.

But with that being said, not only would Fangio have been better, he has a lot more experience in installing his defense. That's where his years in the league really come into play. The transition is more likely to be quick and smooth. It might still be. We're just talking confidence levels.

Basically, **** Gannon forever.

F3YMUamXkAAcBBn

Good, tiny RB vibes conquer all.

Reactions: Hollywood Cannon

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

But with that being said, not only would Fangio have been better, he has a lot more experience in installing his defense. That's where his years in the league really come into play. The transition is more likely to be quick and smooth. It might still be. We're just talking confidence levels.

I don't have a problem with him either. I just expect some hiccups with the whole process with installation (as you mentioned). It would be unrealistic to not expect something to pop up and in a league with little to no margin for error it could become an issue.
zoolander-are-you-serious.gif

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

F3YMUamXkAAcBBn

Good, tiny RB vibes conquer all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad