OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Don't Cry Because It's Over, Smile Because it Happened (Offseason - 2023)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I don’t have the stats handy at the moment, but wasn’t the eagles run defense really good when he was healthy / on the field and really bad when he was injured / off the field?

I don’t think he’s likely to be as big a force in the passing game, but with his size and talent I think he could be the best run stopper in the league. My only worry with him is his stamina / conditioning.
I'm pretty sure those splits were mostly due to him playing in base defense and early downs (ie situations that are designed to slow down the run) and not necessarily because he was impactful in that role. Pretty sure Joseph had better numbers once he signed off the street.

Last edited:
Reactions: FromOyVey2Matvei

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Even being down on his rookie year, I think you can at least make an argument that Davis wasn’t used particularly well. The trendy hope is that Desai uses him like he used Akiem Hicks. You want to try to leverage that athleticism into being able to do things like line up at 3 Tech in Nickel and convert into pressure. That’s where the jackpot outcomes are.

The last staff basically told you what they thought he could and couldn’t do. If you’re going to trade up to draft that guy, I have no earthly idea why that would be your approach.

Last edited:

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The roster decisions at outside Corner are going to be fascinating. I’m not sure how many of these guys make it through to the PS.

Ricks should have never transferred, but even with that mess, it’s still just about staying healthy. He’s the least likely to make it through.
Nice problem when u r so deep Greedy won't make the roster. Also joy never seeing Scott do an Izel jenkins impersonation.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It sounds like they changed the second team center from Toth to Andrews and Mariota began playing better. Toth supposedly was unable to snap the ball in shotgun.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
I'll tell you what the Ravens are Super Bowl locks if every team's first and second stringers (including their own) get hurt

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
I'm pretty sure those splits were mostly due to him playing in base defense and early downs (ie situations that are designed to slow down the run) and not necessarily because he was impactful in that role. Pretty sure Joseph had better numbers once he signed off the street.
If you happen to come across those stats, let me know. I remember seeing the stats (mostly from eagles insiders) playing up Jordan Davis's impact but never saw a direct comparison between him and Linval. It would make sense that those same reporters downplayed it though if Linval was better / similar.

FWIW, PFF (which I know has issues, but still view them as a useful tool) had his run defense graded as the best among rookie DLs and rated him as the #19 interior defender in the league heading into 2023.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
@Chinatown88 The Eagles writers seem to have found out Ojomo is good now that they’ve rewatched the game.

parrot-parakeet.gif

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Knew it was all too good to be true

Wow. Hugh Freeze might not have been the worst person in that movie? Talk about an upset.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Ok, it’s the start of Sicko season. What do we want to see happen this year? What are we worried about? What are we confident in that others aren’t?

I would like to see Hurts just get to roughly league average on non-scrambles outside of the pocket. They solved the MoF issue by getting AJ Brown. That’s the thing that will hold him back from sustaining high-end play, so that’s what I’ll be watching.

I’m worried about Jordan Davis. He just wasn’t very good in really any important way. I don’t even have interesting data or observations because there was nothing interesting about him on the field at all.

I’m pretty happy with the DB depth overall. I’ve liked a ton of the outside Corner fliers they’ve taken, including ones that have already failed like Gowen. Their Safety acquisitions aren’t great, but they make sense and they’re basically zero risk. I think they’ve re-oriented themselves in the Secondary.

I'm very interested to see how the defense performs this year, for several reasons.

1. Definitely want to see how the rookies and 2nd year guys do. Will Carter make an immediate impact, and will that help Davis? Is Smith going to show he can be another Reddick? I'm most interested in how Dean fares with the green dot and just in general. He had decent draft hype, but didn't get many reps last year, and also the size questions. Feels like a prove it type year for him.

2. How will Desai (sp?) change things? I don't need "Moar blitzing!", but I would like to see more creativity up front.

3. How will they do against a much tougher schedule? This year is going to be much different than last in terms of competition and quarterbacks faced.

4. I want to see Reddick get 2 sacks on Mahomes, just because.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
@JojoTheWhale @LegionOfDoom91 @FLYguy3911

#3 is gonna have Jojo on his soapbox of calling good players.

A true Freshman #1!!

As to the bolded, this is why you’re the best. <3 21.5 mph at ~320 lbs. :laugh:

More than half of the rest of the list is on my short list for guys I’m interested in seeking out tape. Chop Robinson is one I’m really happy to see make it, but I had no idea van den Berg existed. That’s so much of the value in these lists to me. I always want Michigan and Penn St tape, but it gives me other names on which to focus without having them flash.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
A true Freshman #1!!

As to the bolded, this is why you’re the best. <3 21.5 mph at ~320 lbs. :laugh:

More than half of the rest of the list is on my short list for guys I’m interested in seeking out tape. Chop Robinson is one I’m really happy to see make it, but I had no idea van den Berg existed. That’s so much of the value in these lists to me. I always want Michigan and Penn St tape, but it gives me other names on which to focus without having them flash.
Stupid question cause it caught my eye and bothers me now.

Shouldn't acceleration be m/s^2? What the balls is this m/s crap?

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
After going through the annual Freaks List

The number 1 lad I thought was gonna be a TE. I don't really follow recruiting that much but was a bit surprised to see him at WR. But he's a true freshman so probably not gonna be super focused on him unless he just wows.

Interested in
2 (no chance we get him)
6 (on my radar after listening to PFF NFL Stock Exchange)
7 (maybe?)
9 (was my peer pressure call cause Jojo for the Eagles 2024 1st round)
23 (no shot he slips)
26 (no shot he slips)
70 (cause why not)

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008

This is a fascinating play because the replies are 99% people talking about it being a great rep and what a steal he was, then a few people who actually know Iike Brandon Thorn and Cory Kinnan trying to explain to them that this is a Graham win. :laugh:

I get that Graham looks off-balance at a point, but the key here is that Jones sets his corner so short that Graham can go around without taking himself out of the play. Then he does exactly that. This is a play that gets a QB murdered.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
After going through the annual Freaks List

The number 1 lad I thought was gonna be a TE. I don't really follow recruiting that much but was a bit surprised to see him at WR. But he's a true freshman so probably not gonna be super focused on him unless he just wows.

Interested in
2 (no chance we get him)
6 (on my radar after listening to PFF NFL Stock Exchange)
7 (maybe?)
9 (was my peer pressure call cause Jojo for the Eagles 2024 1st round)
23 (no shot he slips)
26 (no shot he slips)
70 (cause why not)

I’m guessing it’s Harbor from South Carolina? He’s still doing track in college as well with an eye towards the Olympics down the line. So that’s gonna keep his weight down. I think most team’s recruiting him were willing to make concessions just to get an athlete like that in their program. But I’d imagine most ideally probably wanted him as an EDGE but obviously track isn’t gonna allow him to bulk up like that.

Reactions: Chinatown88

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

This is a fascinating play because the replies are 99% people talking about it being a great rep and what a steal he was, then a few people who actually know Iike Brandon Thorn and Cory Kinnan trying to explain to them that this is a Graham win. :laugh:

I get that Graham looks off-balance at a point, but the key here is that Jones sets his corner so short that Graham can go around without taking himself out of the play. Then he does exactly that. This is a play that gets a QB murdered.

It's crazy obvious that if, I don't know...the other D-lineman existed, that the QB would've been sacked or forced to throw a garbage ball here.

That's a massive W for BG

Reactions: Ironmanrulez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad