OT: Philadelphia 76ers: The tank is over.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Who would you have taken, Porzingis? Still another big and you aren't taking Hezonja there...Okafor was the consensus #3 pick after Russell went

You can call it hindsight, but he seemed to overvalue Okafor in regards to where the league is going. Doesnt seem to be valued at what they thought he would.

Schwarbomb

Bob Murray Approved Poster
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
WCS would be a better fit than Okafor too, as would Mudiay.
I'll give you Mudiay, he's really young and has potential, but WCS is a lite version Noel. With hindsight I wish we had Porzingis, but I'm not going to beat Hinkie up for that, I wouldn't have drafted him at 3 either.

Edit: If you mean "fit" as in where the league is going and not Sixers team needs, I could buy an argument that WCS fits current play styles better than Okafor. The ability to protect the rim and switch onto multiple positions is very valuable and rare for a center.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
can you explain those statements. That is a very bold thing to say

Mudiay is a guard, and looks like he could be effective in this league. They dont have any nba caliber guards right now, next years draft there will many perimeter players.

WCS is more like Noel, but that is the type of the center the league is going to. I saw enough from Noel in his rookie season that I didnt want them to take Okafor.

The point of this is that Hinkie was not a perfect gm. But hey, you think he was perfect. Good for you, Im not going to debate that anymore.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Mudiay is a guard, and looks like he is going to be effective in this league. They dont have any nba caliber guards right bow Now, next years draft there will many perimeter players.

WCS is more like Noel, but that is the type of the center the league is going to. I saw enough from Noel in his rookie season that I didnt want them to take Okafor.

The point of this is that Hinkie was not a perfect gm. But hey, you think he was perfect. Good for you, Im not going to debate that anymore.

this is your most accurate statement on mudiay. Look i'm not trying to make this a bigger deal than what it is , but i hear hinkie getting criticized so much for the okafor pick and I don't understand it. You pick the BPA and Okafor was clearly the BPA. Everyone after him sans porzingis looks like a complete non factor.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Mudiay is a guard, and looks like he could be effective in this league. They dont have any nba caliber guards right bow Now, next years draft there will many perimeter players.

See previous post.

Mudiay sucks.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
this is your most accurate statement on mudiay. Look i'm not trying to make this a bigger deal than what it is , but i hear hinkie getting criticized so much for the okafor pick and I don't understand it. You pick the BPA and Okafor was clearly the BPA. Everyone after him sans porzingis looks like a complete non factor.

fair enough, only time will tell.

Schwarbomb

Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
It was predicted Mudiay was going to be bad last year. I admit I'm a bit taken back by that FG%, but 19 year old PGs on bad teams don't look good unless they're the second coming of Chris Paul.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
It was predicted Mudiay was going to be bad last year. I admit I'm a bit taken back by that FG%, but 19 year old PGs on bad teams don't look good unless they're the second coming of Chris Paul.

There is a difference between bad. And statiscally the worst rookie season of all time. There is no sugar coating this.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Jah >> WCS.

What the finals showed is the GS model depends on GREAT 3 point shooting, now how many teams are going to shot like that? And when GS stopped shooting like that, they lost.

If you don't have two of the five best 3 point shooters in the league, you're gonna need an inside scoring game to complement the outside shooting. And in a couple years Jah will be one of the best scoring C/Fs in the league, WCS will be at best a garbage collector. Jah may get in better shape and become an adequate defender, Noel and WCS will never be adequate offensive threats, they may never be first rate garbage collectors like T Thompson.

Schwarbomb

Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Jah >> WCS.

What the finals showed is the GS model depends on GREAT 3 point shooting, now how many teams are going to shot like that? And when GS stopped shooting like that, they lost.

If you don't have two of the five best 3 point shooters in the league, you're gonna need an inside scoring game to complement the outside shooting. And in a couple years Jah will be one of the best scoring C/Fs in the league, WCS will be at best a garbage collector. Jah may get in better shape and become an adequate defender, Noel and WCS will never be adequate offensive threats, they may never be first rate garbage collectors like T Thompson.
Jah will never be in the same universe as a defender compared to Noel and WCS. Those two were born to play defense in this era. Being able to cover ground, protect the rim, switch, and guard the pick and roll are the most important jobs of a center, rebounding too. All jobs Okafor has poor/limited potential in. He hasn't displayed the necessary defensive instincts/skills at any level (HS, Duke, pro) and doesn't have the athletic ability to make up for those lack of instincts.

Guys like Tyson Chandler and Deandre Jordan have proved you don't have to be an ISO scorer to be an offensive threat. Being a super athletic roll man causes a gravitational affect on the defense. For as simple as it sounds, setting a screen and then sprinting toward the rim puts pressure on the defense.

Players of Okafor's ilk aren't valued like they were in the past. Two of the best offensive oriented poor defending centers in the league come off the bench (Kanter) or are already on the trade block after just signing last summer: http://www.oregonlive.com/nba/index.ssf/2016/06/greg_monroe_again_on_the_trade.html

Last edited:

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Okafor is a ball movement black hole. He slows the offense down. Noel fits much better into the offense despite his butter fingers and Manute Bol-esque shooting release.

Somehow they need to trade him but now for various reasons (including health) I'm wondering about his value. Hopefully, not the case and if he is still on this squad come opening night hopefully he can up his value.

As far as Canaan ..nice little player but too small and a liability on defense. Guess he'll be doing Canaanballs in his pool this summer and an indoor one come fall and winter...

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Can we not declare Okafor an offensive black hole after one year? I'm fully on board with the defensive instincts never coming because he's never showed the ability, but he was a tremendous passer out of double teams at Duke. He may never get it at this level, but at least he has shown the capability.

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Can we not declare Okafor an offensive black hole after one year? I'm fully on board with the defensive instincts never coming because he's never showed the ability, but he was a tremendous passer out of double teams at Duke. He may never get it at this level, but at least he has shown the capability.

It's premature and yes with his passing skills he is not exactly a cone in a motion offense but he is not exactly some gazelle that is going to run the floor the way Noel does. He scores so he is not an offensive black hole per say...just slower when it comes to ball movement and offense on the transition. He's more half court..old school.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Jah is not slow, he's not a gazelle like Noel, but he has very quick feet, schooled both Porzingis and Towns one on one because of his quickness. That can translate to defense, but it'll take a couple years, heck, it'll take Simmons a year or two to learn to play NBA defense. Offensively skilled players often are protected on defense in college b/c it's too much trouble to coach up a one and out, just keep 'em out of foul trouble.

If Jah was 23 with 4 years of NBA experience, yeah, what you see is pretty much what you'll probably get, though many big men mature later and peak in the their mid-20s. But we're talking a 20 year old rookie, a bit early to assume he can't improve.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Hinkie got more for MCW (value-wise) than BC will probably get for Okafor or Noel... think about that.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Hinkie got more for MCW (value-wise) than BC will probably get for Okafor or Noel... think about that.

You can't really compare really though. One of the reasons Hinkle isn't here is because he pissed off agents and other gms. They were also tired of getting screwed in every trade (the same probably can be said with A inge right now). So even if Hinkle were still Gm, not sure how much he would get for rhem. I also think that if Noel and Okafor contract were swapped, Noel would have probably been traded by now.

Schwarbomb

Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
You can't really compare really though. One of the reasons Hinkle isn't here is because he pissed off agents and other gms. They were also tired of getting screwed in every trade (the same probably can be said with A inge right now). So even if Hinkle were still Gm, not sure how much he would get for rhem. I also think that if Noel and Okafor contract were swapped, Noel would have probably been traded by now.
I think if their contract situations were swapped, there would be no debate on who to trade.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly

MCW proved to be vastly overrated and Hinkie proved that while getting the bang for his buck. It's not outlandish to say the same could've been done for Noel or Okafor (mainly Okafor). Hinkie got KILLED by the media for the MCW trade and now it looks like grand larceny on his end.

Also, you're wrong about Ainge. GM's wanted to trade with him, he simply got too arrogant and over-valued his asset which lead to declined offers.

I don't like the argument others were getting "tired" of getting screwed by Hinkie's trades. It takes 2 to tango, it's not Hinkie's fault he sought the opportunities presented to him. The other GM(s) had to agree to these trades as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad