OT: Philadelphia 76ers: The tank is over.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
The MCW trade was always a home run. No amount of John Smallwoods spouting nonsense have ever changed that.

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
MCW proved to be vastly overrated and Hinkie proved that while getting the bang for his buck. It's not outlandish to say the same could've been done for Noel or Okafor (mainly Okafor). Hinkie got KILLED by the media for the MCW trade and now it looks like grand larceny on his end.

Also, you're wrong about Ainge. GM's wanted to trade with him, he simply got too arrogant and over-valued his asset which lead to declined offers.

I don't like the argument others were getting "tired" of getting screwed by Hinkie's trades. It takes 2 to tango, it's not Hinkie's fault he sought the opportunities presented to him. The other GM(s) had to agree to these trades as well.

This ^

It is laughable even after that article up thread that people keep saying things like teams wouldn't trade with him if he continued as GM. Like one GM said....this is a competitive league and Hinkie was a tough negotiator..like that is a bad thing..lol. So we want a GM that is going to stroke other GM's egos and magnanimously make bad deals in the spirit of NBA brotherhood..LMAO. Well we may have that with Colangelo....maybe he'll take one for the team and trade Okafor or Noel for some stiff.

As much as people level this criticism against Hinkie..he still made more trades in the Sixers favor that Colangelo will probably ever do in 3 years. Actually, I hope he doesn't make as many trades b/c that will probably mean we are going backwards...

Tim Tebow

Jan 25, 2012
Westeros
The only team that has a right to be salty about trading with Hinkie is the Pelicans.

Essencially they gave up damaged goods and turned it into gold.

Pelicans Got
- Jrue Holiday
- Pierre Jackson (traded back to Philadelphia for Russ Smith who ultimately ended up back with Philadelphia again himself)

76ers Ended Up With
- Nerlens Noel
- Dario Saric
- 2017 1st Round Pick (their own back)
- 2020 2nd Round Pick (NYK)
- 2021 2nd Round Pick (NYK)
- Cash

Schwarbomb

Bob Murray Approved Poster
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Yeah, for trades Hinkie gets an A+ grade from me. Pelicans and the Kings trade were grand slams. The MCW trade was great value as well. That Laker pick will most likley be in the mid lottery in 2017. The hype surrounding that draft class is real.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
The only team that has a right to be salty about trading with Hinkie is the Pelicans.

Pelicans Got
- Jrue Holiday
- Pierre Jackson (traded back to Philadelphia for Russ Smith who ultimately ended up back with Philadelphia again himself)

76ers Ended Up With
- Nerlens Noel
- Dario Saric
- Cash

That trade got investigated didn't it?

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
That trade got investigated didn't it?

Yeah some fine was leveled..nothing huge. Cost of doing business.....even if the Pelicans were the one that got the business. Better them than us...thank you Hinkie for being shrewd. Can't save everybody against their own stupidity...

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia

Tim Tebow

Jan 25, 2012
Westeros
The 76ers were fined 3 million dollars for not disclosing Holiday's injuries to the Pelicans. Holiday had been playing with stress fractures in his leg the season before he was traded and never made the Pelicans aware of this injury. As far as fines go that is a fairly large fine but given they still got their return it is more like a slap on the wrist.

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
The 76ers were fined 3 million dollars for not disclosing Holiday's injuries to the Pelicans. Holiday had been playing with stress fractures in his leg the season before he was traded and never made the Pelicans aware of this injury. As far as fines go that is a fairly large fine but given they still got their return it is more like a slap on the wrist.

3M to us..a lot. Chump change considering the booty Hinkie stole.....correct.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Hinkie was the hero the Sixers needed, but not the one they deserved. In a decade, I could easily see him being looked back on as the Billy Bean of basketball.

The ability to swap picks with the Kings next season? A likely top 10 pick from the Lakers in 2017 or 2018? An unprotected first rounder for Sacramento potentially the year after Cousins walks? These trades are going to be looked back on as though they were a prophecy.

Long live Hinkie.

Schwarbomb

Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
If Terrence Ross is the big piece in a serious Noel offer, no one wants him either.
I think we all have to prepare for a underwhelming return(s) for either of these bigs. BC seems hell bent on trading at least one and will probably take the best offer by the end of the summer. I'm paying attention to the teams that strike out with the top bigs in free agency. I think Colangelo will target them. I specifically would look at the Wizards. They have been rumored to Horford and Noah. Otto Porter for either of our bigs be acceptable in my book.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
MCW proved to be vastly overrated and Hinkie proved that while getting the bang for his buck. It's not outlandish to say the same could've been done for Noel or Okafor (mainly Okafor). Hinkie got KILLED by the media for the MCW trade and now it looks like grand larceny on his end.

Also, you're wrong about Ainge. GM's wanted to trade with him, he simply got too arrogant and over-valued his asset which lead to declined offers.

I don't like the argument others were getting "tired" of getting screwed by Hinkie's trades. It takes 2 to tango, it's not Hinkie's fault he sought the opportunities presented to him. The other GM(s) had to agree to these trades as well.

MCW was overrated, and luckily the Bucks bit. Unfortunately it looks like Okafor is not valued as highly as the sixers thought he was and no team is willing to budge. That trade was superb.

Whether you believe the narrative that other GM's were tired of getting fleeced by him is your opinion. But it does seem logical that due to his poor relationship with agents and other executives that him making more trades would be harder to do.
I think we all have to prepare for a underwhelming return(s) for either of these bigs. BC seems hell bent on trading at least one and will probably take the best offer by the end of the summer. I'm paying attention to the teams that strike out with the top bigs in free agency. I think Colangelo will target them. I specifically would look at the Wizards. They have been rumored to Horford and Noah. Otto Porter for either of our bigs be acceptable in my book.

I think he wants to move one of them as the minutes will be down with Simmons at the 4 for now along with Saric coming over and Embiid back. Hlrhus resulting in one of them losing more value.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
So the Lakers couldn't get a meeting with Whiteside or Durant and Batum only gave them a phone interview....

Schwarbomb

Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
So the Lakers couldn't get a meeting with Whiteside or Durant and Batum only gave them a phone interview....
We probably should root for them to sign somebody to bump the out of the top 3 to the 6-9 range. That pick could be so valuable. These things always change a bit, but even if we assume 2-3 of these incoming freshmen flop in college, the lottery still has the potential to be loaded. As of right now, I would value the 10th pick in '17 higher than the 3rd pick this year.

Tim Tebow

Jan 25, 2012
Westeros
We probably should root for them to sign somebody to bump the out of the top 3 to the 6-9 range. That pick could be so valuable. These things always change a bit, but even if we assume 2-3 of these incoming freshmen flop in college, the lottery still has the potential to be loaded. As of right now, I would value the 10th pick in '17 higher than the 3rd pick this year.

Given they have like 5 players on the roster and 2 of those guys hate each other they pretty much have to throw money at some FA's. Maybe we will get lucky and they will overpay some of those overrated guys

I think the Sixers were the only team to ever have 3 straight top 3 picks in the NBA though and they were legit tanking with many of those picks they had not playing.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Don't fight it. Just let MCW turn into Tatum/Jackson/Smith/whoever else you would like to add and be thankful that you could see this coming and got to appreciate it the whole way through.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Pelicans Got
- Jrue Holiday

76ers Ended Up With
- Nerlens Noel
- Dario Saric
- Cash

I think the Ish trade (and $3M) was compensation arranged behind the scenes, 2 early 2nd rd picks.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013

I doubt the Lakers will go full tank mode. However, I think you should root for them to be nearly as bad as possible. Even at 2nd overall they would only have a 55 percent chance of staying in the top 3. Or at 3rd overall they have a 46.9 percent chance to stay in the top 3. A #4 or #5 pick would be fantastic. Also I'd rather take my chances on a 2018 unprotected pick then have the 7-9th overall pick in 2017.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I'm not sure which is more entertaining--teadin Celtics fansites that proclaim Howard the missing piece to a chip shop, or reading the reaction of Lakers fans to the news that second tier guys won't even take a meeting with them.

Schwarbomb

Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
I doubt the Lakers will go full tank mode. However, I think you should root for them to be nearly as bad as possible. Even at 2nd overall they would only have a 55 percent chance of staying in the top 3. Or at 3rd overall they have a 46.9 percent chance to stay in the top 3. A #4 or #5 pick would be fantastic. Also I'd rather take my chances on a 2018 unprotected pick then have the 7-9th overall pick in 2017.
I hear what you're saying, and I was doing that for this past draft. But I really want that pick to convey in '17. It's looks very strong and loaded with PGs and Wings.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
So the Lakers' big splash is rushing to throw 4/65 at Mozgov?

Buying stock in incompetent organizations is such a good approach.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Given they have like 5 players on the roster and 2 of those guys hate each other they pretty much have to throw money at some FA's. Maybe we will get lucky and they will overpay some of those overrated guys

I think the Sixers were the only team to ever have 3 straight top 3 picks in the NBA though and they were legit tanking with many of those picks they had not playing.

Each selection was bpa. A healthy noel goes first overall and a healthy embiid goes first overall. We gambled on them as opposse to drafting stiffs That is not tanking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad