Confirmed Trade: [PHI/NSH/VGK] Ryan Ellis to PHI, Cody Glass and Philippe Myers to NSH, Nolan Patrick to VGK

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Why do so many people seem to think Glass is a lock to become a 2C yet Patrick has 0 chance?

Its weird lol... I bet you if the draft positions were swapped the narrative would be different.

Obviously Patrick has had injury issues but so has Glass.
That makes no sense because Glass was drafted after Patrick

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Philly wanted Ellis, the best player in the deal. But he, and his contact, will age similar to Brent Burns based on playing style. However Ellis is smaller so maybe he ages better.

And Nashville moves a big contract for a solid NHL Dman and a top prospect in need of a change of scenery. Not bad.

Burns had an 83 point season aged 33 and is still over .5PPG on an awful team, how exactly can you imagine Ellis aging better than that?

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Sorry, I’m not a fan of any of these teams involved so please forgive my ignorance. How is swapping Glass for Patrick good for Vegas?

Doesn’t glass arguably have a higher ceiling and is more immediately cost-controlled?

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Well, at first glance, I have to give Fletch some credit for this one.

I only wish we could've done it a week or two earlier and gotten Arvidsson with him somehow!

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Why do so many people seem to think Glass is a lock to become a 2C yet Patrick has 0 chance?

Its weird lol... I bet you if the draft positions were swapped the narrative would be different.

Exactly, they were picked a few spots apart in the same draft. You'd think Patrick was 27 and hadn't done anything while Glass was a 19 yr old one year removed from the draft.

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
The electronic dance party Patrick will be playing in at the T-Mobile Arena will surely do wonders for his migraines.

Reactions: Osprey and SnS

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
How the f*** does Vegas play Nosek between Pacioretty and Stone instead of testing Glass there AND trade him after for Patrick who's made of freaking glass

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Maybe Flyers fans can chime in, but if Patrick stays healthy his pro numbers are better than Glass'. It looks like a change of scenery move for two high picks, but I don't see how Patrick is this bad?

thrillermiller89

Jan 19, 2010
San Jose
Burns had an 83 point season aged 33 and is still over .5PPG on an awful team, how exactly can you imagine Ellis aging better than that?
Points aren’t everything. Burns plays using his size quite a bit so his body is more at risk to slowing down and breaking down as opposed to the smaller, faster, cheaper, younger Ellis.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
The thing is, Myers has shown flashes of being very good. He's not a dime-a-dozen guy...yet.

Last season wasn't good for him, sadly. But he can become the best player in this deal potentially. I'm not betting on that, but it isn't out of question that this 6 foot 5 RHD can progress further. Still young.

Upside for Nashville and Vegas is huge but so is the downside. Great move by the Flyers to secure a top 2 dman. Flyers needed to make a move like this as they have a ton of good young players that could be great players but most have been too inconsistent. Flyers needed to take the risk to improve next season.

Preds could make out like bandits if Glass becomes a top 2C and Myers improves in a better system (kid can fly for a giant just needs to shore up in his own end and play tougher).

Patrick has been an absolute disaster but with Mccrimmon in Vegas maybe he gains his confidence stays healthy and emerges into a 1C or 2C (doubtful but stranger things have happened).

Ellis some risk because of injuries, size length of contract but we may have finally found someone similar to Kimmo (who was an amazing Flyer).

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
For the first 2-3 seasons absolutely, but after that when you have a 6M 3rd pairing, 33 year old defenseman everyone goes to the other side and says "Can you believe what Vegas/Nashville did?"

Happens all the time.
I don't think Patrick or Myers will ever touch the impact that Ellis has. 2 seasons of high level play is on the pessimistic side

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
For the first 2-3 seasons absolutely, but after that when you have a 6M 3rd pairing, 33 year old defenseman everyone goes to the other side and says "Can you believe what Vegas/Nashville did?"

Happens all the time.

And as we are well aware, there's always a way around that heavy AAV by the end (LTIR)

I've given up stressing over the backend of these contracts.

Hansem1979

Jun 25, 2021
Yeah that’s seemingly pretty bad for Vegas unless they believe Patrick is going to find his health and game he was drafted to be.

Problem is Patrick wasn’t overwhelmingly good even when he was healthy, probably one of the worse second pick in recent history

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
And as we are well aware, there's always a way around that heavy AAV by the end (LTIR)

I've given up stressing over the backend of these contracts.
Yeah, it is hard to say "team X is screwed" with any degree of certainty. I was pretty convinced that was the Islanders last offseason and then "poof" Boychuk is on LTIR.

All that LTIR though is going to eat into insurance premiums so I think the league will put a stop to it soon.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Points aren’t everything. Burns plays using his size quite a bit so his body is more at risk to slowing down and breaking down as opposed to the smaller, faster, cheaper, younger Ellis.

You're aware that Burns is 4 years older than Ellis and that you don't have to talk about risk when you already know how his last four years under contract went, right? They have still been pretty good and it doesn't make sense to expect Ellis to hold up even better than that as a baseline. It might happen, but it's far from a guarantee.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

Everyone just prays for any chance they can to rag on VGK lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad