Confirmed Trade: [PHI/CBJ] Cam Atkinson for Jakub Voracek

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
So far Fletcher is 2/4

Good Trades

Ellis for Myers, Patrick
Atkinson for Voracek

Bad Trades

Ghost + 2nd + 7th for FC's
13th overall + 2nd + Hagg for Ristolainen

it seems whenever draft picks aren't involved, Fletcher does ok, sometimes even really well. like trading Gudas for Niskanen. he just doesn't seem to value picks at all.

Reactions: Rich Nixon

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Good deal for Philly here. Fair trade all around.
I agree it's a fair trade all around, Columbus gets a playmaking forward for Laine and the Flyers get a shooter who's a decent two way player who has a lower cap hit. Voracek's run in Philly has come to an end and he may end up doing well back in Columbus, Atkinson will bring Philly some much needed grit.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Reducing the number of years on contracts during a rebuild and also bringing in a better player than the one going out. Philly saves some cap space the next 3 years but added a 4th year on a declining player. Cam has not been a good player for 2 years. Great on the PK but otherwise he's been pretty brutal. Could just be Columbus but I guess we'll find out. He's streaky, that's for sure. So if he starts with 10 goals the first month, don't be surprised if he's still sitting on 10 goals in the 3rd month.

That’s fine, but if you’re rebuilding, wouldn’t it make sense to load up on futures?

Maybe there wasn’t a market for Atkinson?

Just seems like a weird move to me.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
That’s fine, but if you’re rebuilding, wouldn’t it make sense to load up on futures?

Maybe there wasn’t a market for Atkinson?

Just seems like a weird move to me.
Yesterday they loaded up on futures. They have very few players that carry salary and will need to hit the floor. I don't think there would be many teams to offer the CBJ futures for Atkinson. He will be sorely missed in the community (has a brand new training facility (ice) just outside Columbus and is entrenched in several charities and community relations. Unfortunately his on-ice play has dropped dramatically. I suspect Jarmo saw a chance to move him, save the year and will consider retention on Jake and flip him at some point in the next year or two.

Reactions: Laus723

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
just because Columbus is rebuilding doesn't mean they're doing a scorched earth tank job tear down.
they are still going to try to be as competitive as they can be

if things are looking bad for them after this year, they still may be able to flip Voracek with retention for 2-years and get a decent asset back.

Holy Slapshot

Feb 16, 2012
Icy Cold Catacombs
Just don't like it. Cam is somewhat better goalscorer maybe but declining, like almost all goalscorers who tend to decline sooner than playmakers. And his - by the way also pricey - contract being one season longer... This might end with a buyout.

From Columbus point of view, they got shorter term and better player that greatly fits as they need good passes to Laine. If this works, they can even make playoffs, or at least flip Laine for sweet futures... And Jake also with some retention. Fletcher wasn't fleeced as bad for once, but Flyers are worse team again after this.

rodney dangerfield

Dec 8, 2015
Just don't like it. Cam is somewhat better goalscorer maybe but declining, like almost all goalscorers who tend to decline sooner than playmakers. And his - by the way also pricey - contract being one season longer... This might end with a buyout.

From Columbus point of view, they got shorter term and better player that greatly fits as they need good passes to Laine. If this works, they can even make playoffs, or at least flip Laine for sweet futures... And Jake also with some retention. Fletcher wasn't fleeced as bad for once, but Flyers are worse team again after this.
they were awful with jake last year. so they arent gonna be as bad this year

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

Flyers roster could do a lot to reverse Atkinson’s decline. When he was playing with Panarin, he was a threat. The Jackets didn’t have anyone who could set him up like that once Bread took his talents to Broadway. The Flyers have some guys though.

I predict Cam will do well in Philly.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Yesterday they loaded up on futures. They have very few players that carry salary and will need to hit the floor. I don't think there would be many teams to offer the CBJ futures for Atkinson. He will be sorely missed in the community (has a brand new training facility (ice) just outside Columbus and is entrenched in several charities and community relations. Unfortunately his on-ice play has dropped dramatically. I suspect Jarmo saw a chance to move him, save the year and will consider retention on Jake and flip him at some point in the next year or two.

Like I said, maybe there was no market. I personally rather would’ve taken a lesser return on Atkinson and went out and got a player in free agency. I get they loaded up on futures, but if you’re rebuilding and you overload, you can always flip to try to acquire a young nhl player who fits your team’s timeline.

Comes down to preference, I guess. Then again, I’m not high at all on Voracek and I have a feeling his numbers are going go down even more. Who knows though.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Like I said, maybe there was no market. I personally rather would’ve taken a lesser return on Atkinson and went out and got a player in free agency. I get they loaded up on futures, but if you’re rebuilding and you overload, you can always flip to try to acquire a young nhl player who fits your team’s timeline.

Comes down to preference, I guess. Then again, I’m not high at all on Voracek and I have a feeling his numbers are going go down even more. Who knows though.

A lesser return on Atkinson? I don't think there is one possible, no one wants his contract straight up.

If you're interested in having someone you can flip, then Voracek is a much better bet because he's a better player and with his shorter term you can retain and get some futures back.

I think it is precisely because they're in a rebuild that it is better to take a three year deal with Voracek than it is to sign a UFA to a seven year deal. The first years are the best ones and that won't line up with where the team is at. The Jackets will prefer to have it all off the books in a few years when they're ready to compete.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
just because Columbus is rebuilding doesn't mean they're doing a scorched earth tank job tear down.
they are still going to try to be as competitive as they can be

if things are looking bad for them after this year, they still may be able to flip Voracek with retention for 2-years and get a decent asset back.

I never said it had to be scorched earth. You could take more futures and flip them for a young NHL player, if not now, then in the future.

You could also sign help in free agency.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
A lesser return on Atkinson? I don't think there is one possible, no one wants his contract straight up.

If you're interested in having someone you can flip, then Voracek is a much better bet because he's a better player and with his shorter term you can retain and get some futures back.

Voracek has put up better numbers, yes, but on a better team and relative to his cap hit, his numbers aren’t great. With that said, Atkinson is going to go to a team that can maximize his strengths and help him rebound. I’m not sure if Voracek’s numbers will stay close to 60-65 points a season in CBJ.

The good thing about Voracek is there’s less term on his deal than Atkinson.

I think it is precisely because they're in a rebuild that it is better to take a three year deal with Voracek than it is to sign a UFA to a seven year deal.

Fair, but it’s not a given that you have to hand out a 7 year deal, but it is a possibility that the players they’d be targeting could be looking for that term.

The first years are the best ones and that won't line up with where the team is at. The Jackets will prefer to have it all off the books in a few years when they're ready to compete.

Won’t argue this, as I agree.

Reactions: egelband

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
Voracek has put up better numbers, yes, but on a better team and relative to his cap hit, his numbers aren’t great. With that said, Atkinson is going to go to a team that can maximize his strengths and help him rebound. I’m not sure if Voracek’s numbers will stay close to 60-65 points a season in CBJ

Atkinson got his contract because he was playing with Breadman for 2 seasons. Hasn't come close to touching that goal mark since.

Columbus badly needs playmaking with their forwards, and Cam brought one back that could maybe boost Laine's value. Cam wasn't doing it, it is not his game to create for others.

Reactions: FabulousLysell

coachwithoutahead

Nov 21, 2008
Philly fans thinking they’re getting a gritty player in Atkinson are going to be disappointed. He’s a solid PKer who has a knack for generating shorties, but he doesn’t play a physical style of game. I think a fair description would be: Streaky ~50 point, goal-heavy winger who can play both PK/ PP, and was beloved by CBJ fans first-and-foremost because of his loyalty to the city of Columbus. He used to depend heavily on his speed, but he’s been losing some of that over the last couple seasons. He does have moments where he can still turn the jets on, but they’re coming less and less frequently. Overall, a solid player and teammate who, if matched with the right line mates, has the potential to still put up 50+ pts/ 30+ goals.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
it seems whenever draft picks aren't involved, Fletcher does ok, sometimes even really well. like trading Gudas for Niskanen. he just doesn't seem to value picks at all.

I can't find myself disliking the Ghost trade.

I don't believe that he would have ever turned it around in Philly so it's just ridding yourself of a bad asset before you're stuck having to buy him out later.

It's a poor deal, but Ghost simply didn't live up to his contract and the team needed space and stability without a lingering question mark hanging over them all season.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Atkinson got his contract because he was playing with Breadman for 2 seasons. Hasn't come close to touching that goal mark since.

Yeah, but the team around him hasn’t been good since.

Columbus badly needs playmaking with their forwards, and Cam brought one back that could maybe boost Laine's value. Cam wasn't doing it, it is not his game to create for others.

I think they need a bit of everything, but I do agree that he’s not the type of player to make others around him better.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Blue Jackets now trading the only players who actually want to be there. LOL!

Davidson is a joke. How do they rehire the guy who left them high and dry and stole Panarin from them? LOL!

Now they’re acquiring Voracek, the mental midget. LOL!

Jarmo is a shrewd character but sometimes too shrewd for his own good. Dude treats NHL players like spreadsheets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad