Confirmed Trade: [PHI/BUF] Rasmus Ristolainen for Robert Hagg, 2021 1st round pick, 2023 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think what probably drove up the price on Risto is the FA options on RHD's. Not much there after Hamilton.

Philly wanted to overhaul their D right now and they needed a RHD, so supply and demand so to speak worked in the Sabres favor.

To be fair it probably works out next year. The Flyers every other year magic is strong and Risto is going to play like a gorilla who is freed from his cage. But then they probably sign him to a terribad contract and regret it soon after.

Reactions: rodney dangerfield

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013

Attachments

• D801DC8E-5C8F-4BD0-A8F8-46F3EEAC4B14.jpeg
    D801DC8E-5C8F-4BD0-A8F8-46F3EEAC4B14.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 12

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think what probably drove up the price on Risto is the FA options on RHD's. Not much there after Hamilton.

Philly wanted to overhaul their D right now and they needed a RHD, so supply and demand so to speak worked in the Sabres favor.

To be fair it probably works out next year. The Flyers every other year magic is strong and Risto is going to play like a gorilla who is freed from his cage. But then they probably sign him to a terribad contract and regret it soon after.

They could have overpaid David Savard, who is way better, and not lost a 13th pick and 2nd.

They could have traded for Josh Manson, who may have cost a bit more but is way better.

Theres no excuse to trade high value assets for an awful player.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
They could have overpaid David Savard, who is way better, and not lost a 13th pick and 2nd.

They could have traded for Josh Manson, who may have cost a bit more but is way better.

Theres no excuse to trade high value assets for an awful player.

Overpaying David Savard could turn into one of the worst signings of the off-season. Josh Manson has not played a lot of hockey in the last year and a half. And both guys don't bring any offense.

Look, im not saying its a good deal. Obviously it sucks. But if Risto is the player type they wanted there's barely anything else out there. Buffalo maximized their leverage, so good on them.

Reactions: Muddy Wilbury

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Overpaying David Savard could turn into one of the worst signings of the off-season. Josh Manson has not played a lot of hockey in the last year and a half. And both guys don't bring any offense.

Look, im not saying its a good deal. Obviously it sucks. But if Risto is the player type they wanted there's barely anything else out there. Buffalo maximized their leverage, so good on them.

I mean...not really...they are likely going to overpay Risto, who is worse, in an extension & thats after trading for him.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Risto being insulated by Prov and Ellis will do him wonders. Even with Dahlin he was essentially still our 1B. He has his warts in his own end but is an excellent offensive generator and a Mack truck. I don’t think it’s as lopsided as it appears now. Tunes will change next year unless he walks out as a UFA.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I mean...not really...they are likely going to overpay Risto, who is worse, in an extension & thats after trading for him.

Well yeah, but there's also the possibility he's actually really good for the Flyers for years to come. Not a great one but it's there.

Dismissing that possibility before he's even played a game would be foolish.

Reactions: Sasso09

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
Im taken aback by how much my brethren despise this trade, looking at Ristolainen as if he was so terrible when the rest of his team was amazing. If this were the dynamics I could understand. But look at Hall's numbers while there and lot of folks think Dahlin is lookling like bust. Maybe it's the Sabres, not the players? You got analytics for that?

Ristolainen was asked to be the #1 of arguably the worst organization when most dmen his age are entering their 2nd or 3rd season and still developing. He had a new coach almost every year. His leadership group was a joke.

The Flyers traded a #7 dman and the 13th pick in a draft that is more of a crapshoot then ever before because of the rona. As for the 2nd, 15% of 2nd rounders are NHL regulars. Let's not overvalue our assets, folks.

If Ristolainen is able to be a serviceable 2nd pairing dman and resign at a reasonable cap, this trade will be exactly what we needed. Time will tell. But your reactions are pretty weird all things considered. Give the kid a chance with a change of scenery.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Im taken aback by how much my brethren despise this trade, looking at Ristolainen as if he was so terrible when the rest of his team was amazing. If this were the dynamics I could understand. But look at Hall's numbers while there and lot of folks think Dahlin is lookling like bust. Maybe it's the Sabres, not the players? You got analytics for that?

Ristolainen was asked to be the #1 of arguably the worst organization when most dmen his age are entering their 2nd or 3rd season and still developing. He had a new coach almost every year. His leadership group was a joke.

The Flyers traded a #7 dman and the 13th pick in a draft that is more of a crapshoot then ever before because of the rona. As for the 2nd, 15% of 2nd rounders are NHL regulars. Let's not overvalue our assets, folks.

If Ristolainen is able to be a serviceable 2nd pairing dman and resign at a reasonable cap, this trade will be exactly what we needed. Time will tell. But your reactions are pretty weird all things considered. Give the kid a chance with a change of scenery.
I think Risto is going to have a fantastic year with the Flyers. We has a lot to prove and will be very motivated. Go watch some of his work out pics, the guy is a beast.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

Yeah, i mean, i can't remember many defensemen ever who have been in the same situation, with the same tools as him.

Obviously, Risto isn't a great defenseman. If he was, he would've found a way to stay consistent and play well even if the team around him wasn't great.

But just because he's not great doesn't mean he can't be good. He can improve so much by just the mental side of things. I mean, the Flyers probably have more offensive talent than any team he's ever been part of. Team outscoring their mistakes and winning a game every now and then will be completely new to him. A good supporting cast will be completely new to him. You go down the list and he could be having the time of his life is the Flyers have a good season.

Im fairly certain at some points next season Flyers fans will be saying he's a god damn stud. It's just a matter of limiting the lows and finding stability... which the Flyers aren't exactly known for so maybe he'll feed into that inconsistency, but we'll see.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Wow, didn't realize Risto only has one year left until he's a UFA. I'm a Sabres fan and I like Risto and think he can be good in a better environment with better support than Buffalo, but with only one year left on his contract this is an overpayment by Philly

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Well yeah, but there's also the possibility he's actually really good for the Flyers for years to come. Not a great one but it's there.

Dismissing that possibility before he's even played a game would be foolish.

There's also a possibility that I am really good for the Flyers. Neither will ever happen though.

Apr 9, 2009
USA

That's just a lot of "ifs" and value for one season of a guy who probably isn't going to be on the top pair. The value is based on expectations and not necessarily performance up to this point. I do agree that he will be better in a better situation.

(I'm not trying to be a downer because of the team involved. Trying to just look at it from a distance)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad