Confirmed Trade: [PHI/BUF] Rasmus Ristolainen for Robert Hagg, 2021 1st round pick, 2023 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
This is going to be a huge test for analytics.
This isn't at all shocking to me. The type of players that play the minute risto plays are elite 1D Franchise type defenseman. Risto is NOT that and he plays for the worst team in the league. Take whoever #1 is in that list and put them in Buffalo and they'll fall to #20

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I think Risto is seriously underrated, and he'll do well with Philadelphia. It's a good move for Buffalo, sure. But I'd say it's a win-win.
Ristolainen vastly outplayed Dahlin,Jokiharju,McGabe etc... and it think all of them would look good on proper teams. Ristolainen will do great in Philly i think.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I don’t get this from Philly. Keep your assets and try to make a push for Hamilton maybe. Ellis was a good acquisition but Risto is weak in his own end.

Reactions: SnS

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
He can't possibly be used as much as he was in Buffalo.. You're aware he played more minutes than anyone right? They had the guy playing 1D, 25 minutes a night on the worst team in the league with no help.

He's playing less than 20 a night, guaranteed in Philly.

Lol. I wouldn’t be so sure about that.

Reactions: Les Averman

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Ways to look at this....

1. Are the Flyers Ristolainen away from being a true Cup contender this year?
  2. Was it worth trading a 1st and 2nd for him with the risk he walks for nothing next year.
  3. If they resign him, is he going to be worth his next contract?
  4. Why aren't they pouring these pick resources into finding a goalie???

With Giroux and Couturier UFA's next year, if the Flyers don't win this year and they both leave (along with Risto), it could be very ugly there for years to come.
Couturier isn't going anywhere..risto will be signed for less than 5.4, likely a Larsson 4x4 deal, Giroux can be replaced at this point with his 8+M cap relief if he goes.

As long as Coots re signs they'll be fine, and he will

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
He can't possibly be used as much as he was in Buffalo.. You're aware he played more minutes than anyone right? They had the guy playing 1D, 25 minutes a night on the worst team in the league with no help.

He's playing less than 20 a night, guaranteed in Philly.

if you limit him to around 32% of ES/ PK and he plays on 1PP he should have good numbers.

Ellis is more the late game Dman you want on or playing primary against top line.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
How is Francis, with all his cap space, unable to make a deal like this? Or the Ghost deal?

Is it really that important to milk the GMs more?

Reactions: banks

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I don’t get this from Philly. Keep your assets and try to make a push for Hamilton maybe. Ellis was a good acquisition but Risto is weak in his own end.

Risto WAS weak in his end, playing #1 against the oppositions top lines. In Philly he will be #3 and have less ice-time better players around him. I bet he will be much better in Philly.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
They gave up a top15 pick for a guy that has 1yr on his deal. I hope they’ve had contract negotiations before the trade was made. Any word on that?

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
This isn't at all shocking to me. The type of players that play the minute risto plays are elite 1D Franchise type defenseman. Risto is NOT that and he plays for the worst team in the league. Take whoever #1 is in that list and put them in Buffalo and they'll fall to #20

Ristolainen hasn’t played those minutes in 2 years and still is very not good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad