Confirmed Trade: [PHI/BUF] Rasmus Ristolainen for Robert Hagg, 2021 1st round pick, 2023 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I will say this to suicidal Flyers fans, one of Ristolainen's better comparables (per Dom L), is Jeff Petry:

Hopefully for the Flyers Ristolainen can have renaissance like he did with a not garbage team.

Reactions: banks

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Oh man...im so sorry
Don't apologize for your ignorance, it's okay, it happens. I watch a ton of Risto, Flyers lose this trade hands down but put Johnson in that same role as Risto had with the same usage and he would get GMs and coaches fired

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I'm not even sure why Philly even wanted to target Risto since they have always had a problem defending for a while now he certainly adds some offense but is really bad no matter what minutes he's playing on D meaning he needs to have a big defensive D-man partnering with him. It was great when we had McCabe or Joki with him to cover up his holes on D but its not like he's a guy where he generates so much offense that his lack of defense doesn't matter and most of his points come from the PP. I've always though he could be benefit from being converted to a power forward where he has less defensive responsibilities but there is no way he takes the pay cuts for that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I do think it's possible for Ristolainen to improve with better usage, but that "improve" means "he's still kinda crappy, but you just don't notice it as much" . Kinda like what happened with Justin Schultz. The difference is that the Penguins didn't pay a 1st rounder+ for Justin Schultz.

Reactions: PensandCaps

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Don't apologize for your ignorance, it's okay, it happens. I watch a ton of Risto, Flyers lose this trade hands down but put Johnson in that same role as Risto had with the same usage and he would get GMs and coaches fired

Wondering what result would be different if you gave Johnson #1 D time. Like it would honestly be very hard and impressive to be worse than Risto. Risto is just Finish Jack Johnson who got PP time.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
I'm not even a Risto hater and would have been fine with him on the Nucks but the 13th and a 2nd is bad.
Here on HF fans always overrate their own players, yet I never read Sabre fan say he was worth a 1st and not one that's top 15.
This pretty much sums it up.

Flyers lose the trade, that's a fact.

Risto being called worse than Jack Johnson, Robert Hagg etc is pure hyperbole. Like I said, there's a handful of D that could do decent in that usage for that team

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
If he doesn't want to play for them anymore what are they supposed to do? I don't disagree with you, but it seems to be a pretty dire situation with Eichel. They have to root for someone, and get excited about something. Might as well embrace the change and roll with it instead of getting it ground in your face for the 1000th time that fans of other teams enjoy the fact your team sucks.

I’m an Oiler fan. Our team has played at a 101 point pace for the last 2 years, and everyone still craps on us at every opportunity. I get it. I’m just saying from experience that there’s a difference between “let’s make the most of a shitty situation” and “it’s an exciting time to be a xxxx fan” as you enter ANOTHER rebuild/retool. As an Oiler fan, 09/10 to 14/15 was exciting to see what the future would bring. In 17/18 and 18/19, it was “well ****. This isn’t good. Hopefully we can turn this around”.

I’m not crapping on Buffalo. I sympathize for their fans, and I get being hopeful that things will work out, but I don’t get being excited about the state of things. This trade is theoretically good value, but it doesn’t guarantee anything, as we saw with how the Sabres 4 1st round picks in 12/13 turned out

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Risto blocks shots, hit and his TK GV ratio isn't that bad for a player that plays around 25 mins a night for BUF. All of this while he produce around 40 points with bad teams after bad teams...

Top pair. Wait until he plays with great coaching and a very good team.

You do realize that Philly allowed even more goals than the Sabres last season? Hardly the right team for a defenseman to resurrect his career.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Buffalo won its first trade in a long time.

just in time for Buffalo fans to get let down by the eichel return. Although I hope that isn’t true, fanbase deserves better.

Jokiharju for Nylander

And I'm out of examples

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad