Confirmed Trade: [PHI/BUF] Rasmus Ristolainen for Robert Hagg, 2021 1st round pick, 2023 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
You forgot Myers and Patrick for Ellis.

It's a really high cost, but the Flyers d core looks dramatically upgraded.

Provorov - Ellis
Sanheim - Risto
X (Zamula?) - Braun

Yeah but they could've done the Ellis trade and then skipped the next 2 steps, and still be a lot better without emptying the cupboard so dramatically. Risto isn't a lock to be a big upgrade either.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Very good return for Buffalo, I like Ristolainen, but not sure what Philly is thinking here. You got to think they severely outbid the competition on that one.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
risto only has one year left on the his contract right? like wtf? 1st rounder for a pure rental and not just any 1st rounder freakin 13th overall WOW

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He's really not as bad as he is being made out to be. Risto has always just been placed over his head.

I'm surprised by the first rounder ... but I think he does well in Philly.

Yeah, Risto's somehow become a whipping boy across all of HF, despite the fact that I know nobody who roots for another team is going out of their way to watch the Sabres. Hell, it's a chore half the time even as a fan of the team. He's a much better player than a lot of people give him credit for. He's just been miscast on bad Sabres teams for so long. I bet his uber physical style of play will endear him to the fans in Philly pretty quickly once games start, even if they still don't like the trade.

Reactions: Kurtz and Doothpick

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
58% QoC 22% QoT. That's a yikes! Shift those numbers a little bit and he'll be better.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Literally the worst trade I've ever seen. I'm not watching this joke of a f***ing franchise until they tear it all down.

Coots and G need to request trades and play for a team that actually wants to win a cup.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah but they could've done the Ellis trade and then skipped the next 2 steps, and still be a lot better without emptying the cupboard so dramatically. Risto isn't a lock to be a big upgrade either.

Agreed. Myers to Risto is perhaps a marginal upgrade but maybe there was something behind the scenes why he needed to go. Additionally with Ghost's and Hagg's cap hit out, I'm assuming Flyers have more deals in the hopper in anticipation for a heck of a run this coming season.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
The 2023 2nd hurts Flyers way more what the 2021 1st.

But RR55 is a really good defenseman, really good and strong skater, a physical beast, a threat,
has shown offensive side too, every now and then he surprises with his offensive skill set.

Its not like Sabres have been a good team defensively you know, i think Sabres made a huge mistake
letting him go, but Risto has said for few years wanting out, so there's that.

You can show all you want some silly advanced or what ever stats, those stats tell more about the Sabres what Risto
yes, i agree, he does make stupid mistakes, thats true, but he is wayyyy better what most say

This post is hilarious in the fact that you are trying to justify Risto's play when every single thing shows the opposite of what you're saying. And no, "silly advanced stats" don't show more about the Sabres as a whole, but the individual performance of Risto, which is the main focus of most analytical metrics.

Risto is a defenseman with great physical attributes that can't think the game at a high level which affects his, well, defensive play regardless of what team he is on.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Agreed. Myers to Risto is perhaps a marginal upgrade, but with Ghost's cap hit out, I'm assuming Flyers have more deals in the hopper in anticipation for a heck of a run this coming season.

Ristolainen eats that all up and then some, no? I will say I do like that Philly isn't content to just sit on the sidelines.

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
Threads like these are an ultimate telltale as to why "advanced" stats are stupid and nobody should listen to them. He's a very nice piece and I'm glad for him he's finally out of Buffalo. Cheap price considering it's a 2021 1st pick and they're basically a crapshoot because there's little to none scouting material for this draft.

What is your agenda here? Very few people in this thread were citing advanced stats. There are simpler stats to look at to suggest that this is *not* good value for the Flyers. You can simply look at the downward trajectory of his offensive production, the uncertainty of his recovery from COVID, many of his lowlights from the last couple seasons, the eye test, etc. He isn't worth this price no matter how you look at it.

Reactions: Viqsi

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Philly is very unpredictable. I can't figure exactly what direction they're trying to head in.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Threads like these are an ultimate telltale as to why "advanced" stats are stupid and nobody should listen to them. He's a very nice piece and I'm glad for him he's finally out of Buffalo. Cheap price considering it's a 2021 1st pick and they're basically a crapshoot because there's little to none scouting material for this draft.
Beliefs like this are why Buffalo has been a bottom feeder for over a decade now.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Ristolainen is more valuable than some are giving him credit. Still... seems pretty high. Like, take out the first and it looks better.

Philly at least got a decent, if unspectatular Dman. He's also only 26 so he can pull it together.

Peeps

May 24, 2017
Who's the top pair D in this trade? Because it's sure as hell not Rasmus Ristolainen.

upload_2021-7-23_14-49-51.png

Risto blocks shots, hit and his TK GV ratio isn't that bad for a player that plays around 25 mins a night for BUF. All of this while he produce around 40 points with bad teams after bad teams...

Top pair. Wait until he plays with great coaching and a very good team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad