Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Juniors, Int'l, etc. (Autumn edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Moulson -- Demitra -- Carter
Sullivan -- Talbot -- Ryder
Berezin -- Gaustad -- Grier
Hansen -- McLean -- Brouwer
Burish

Salo -- Byfuglien
Enstrom -- Wideman
Skrastins -- Murray
Tarnstrom

Thomas
Nabakov

Holmstrom -- Lombardi -- Zednik
Titov -- Winnik -- Vrbata
Parenteau -- Brodziak -- Hoglund
Moss -- Nichol -- Miettinen
Svatos

Johnsson -- Timonen
Markov -- Martinek
McGillis - Murray
Ericsson

Rinne
Vokoun

I mean... you may have to go out and get a few top six Centres... but apart from that they are pretty darn good teams... of players who would not have been drafted had there been only 7 rounds.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
40 points total would be very impressive if he plays the full season. For comparison Morin had 31 points in 54 games in his draft year +1.
Figure he plays around 60 games, 40 points over 60 games would be a .67 PPG pace. Possibly overly optimistic considering his scoring rate his first 2 years in the league, but I don't think his scoring rate right now is completely unsustainable and he plays on the highest scoring team in the league which helps any defemsemen. He's already a quarter of the way to 40.

I didn't watch much of R-N his first two years, but if a defensemen is not in a position to put up points, then he's probably not going to put up points. I'm guessing he had limited minutes, on a young team, and being a big kid he was probably pigeonholed into a stay at home role. He made his junior team as a 16 year old, 4th round pick in the midget draft. That's pretty tough to do. Sounds like he had a good bit of raw talent and its starting to come together this year as a few posters mentioned.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's very true. Sanheim had hardly any points in the first half of his first season in Calgary. The skill was there, but the confidence probably wasn't and more importantly he wasn't being given the opportunity to put up points.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=60428

An untouted first-year WHL player, Sanheim kept things very simple early in the season. He posted three points through the first 21 games of the season as he focused mainly on positional play. His physical profile, skating and first-pass ability along with his general reliability in his own zone were sufficient to get him the 167th spot on the Central Scouting mid-term list.

Thereafter, Sanheim got increasingly comfortable and started to assert himself offensively. As his role grew into that of all-situations player, Sanheim's point totals rose steadily. Paired with fellow 2014 Draft prospect Ben Thomas, Sanheim finished the season with five goals, 29 points and a plus-25 ranking.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Figure he plays around 60 games, 40 points over 60 games would be a .67 PPG pace. Possibly overly optimistic considering his scoring rate his first 2 years in the league, but I don't think his scoring rate right now is completely unsustainable and he plays on the highest scoring team in the league which helps any defemsemen. He's already a quarter of the way to 40.

I didn't watch much of R-N his first two years, but if a defensemen is not in a position to put up points, then he's probably not going to put up points. I'm guessing he had limited minutes, on a young team, and being a big kid he was probably pigeonholed into a stay at home role. He made his junior team as a 16 year old, 4th round pick in the midget draft. That's pretty tough to do. Sounds like he had a good bit of raw talent and its starting to come together this year as a few posters mentioned.

That's fine and I'm not knocking the guy, I'm just not going to get excited over a 12 game stretch. Just like I wouldn't be disappointed if he had a bad 12 game stretch. I mean, if Konecny or Provorov got off to a bad start in the first 12 games would you be writing them off? Absolutely not. So I'm not going to get overly excited about this until he turns at least a good half season of this type of production (but more likely a full season is what would have me convinced). It doesn't matter what the reason is that he didn't put up the points in his first stretch of games in juniors. Whether it is skill, ice-time, situational play, strength, skating, someone put a voodoo curse on him, or anything. The fact is he didn't do it and 12 games into his post-draft year isn't going to get me excited or start thinking of him as anything other than "some random, unheralded, undrafted prospect that the Flyers signed."

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
That's fine and I'm not knocking the guy, I'm just not going to get excited over a 12 game stretch. Just like I wouldn't be disappointed if he had a bad 12 game stretch. I mean, if Konecny or Provorov got off to a bad start in the first 12 games would you be writing them off? Absolutely not. So I'm not going to get overly excited about this until he turns at least a good half season of this type of production (but more likely a full season is what would have me convinced). It doesn't matter what the reason is that he didn't put up the points in his first stretch of games in juniors. Whether it is skill, ice-time, situational play, strength, skating, someone put a voodoo curse on him, or anything. The fact is he didn't do it and 12 games into his post-draft year isn't going to get me excited or start thinking of him as anything other than "some random, unheralded, undrafted prospect that the Flyers signed."

That's fine, but that response wasn't intended for just you.

If you need to see numbers to believe in a guy, then so be it. I'm buying what I've seen so far this year. He's a good prospect- undrafted or not. Points or no points.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Or look at Morin.

He played 82 games...and had 12 points to start his Q career....then had 13 points in his next 26 games(if my math is right...lol). And that push in points is what pushed him up the draft rankings.

So it isn't a huge stretch that it could happen to another big Dman. We forget that these are just kids and not everyones growth happens the same time as each others. Draft day is ONE snapshot in time to do your projections. That is also why just 4-5 months later, there would be lots of changes if the draft was held after the summer. Same goes with 1 year later. SCOUTS GET THINGS WRONG. We all do.

Look at Larkin right now. Or ROR being a 2nd rounder then making the NHL right after the draft.

Myers could turn into nothing. But I like that Hextall is out there trying to add more pieces for free to our prospects list.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
That move he made at the end to set up Bean in OT..
Funny enough he did it to Fleury.
What's not shown is Sanheim took the puck off the faceoff drove the net and put the puck right on a teammate's stick for a missed tap in. Somehow I think he only had 2 shifts in the OT but created about a 3 great chances. He's money in any odd man situation.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Of course 12 games is a SSS, and not enough to be conclusive.
But he's got size, can skate, is a RH defenseman, his scoring simply provides hope that he turns out to be a steal.

Now that he's produced, he's likely to get more attention, as well as more responsibility, so how he responds will provide more insight into his potential.

But another mobile 6'4 200 (probably end up 215 lbs or so when he grows up) with offensive skills that cost nothing - what's not to like?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Of course 12 games is a SSS, and not enough to be conclusive.
But he's got size, can skate, is a RH defenseman, his scoring simply provides hope that he turns out to be a steal.

Now that he's produced, he's likely to get more attention, as well as more responsibility, so how he responds will provide more insight into his potential.

But another mobile 6'4 200 (probably end up 215 lbs or so when he grows up) with offensive skills that cost nothing - what's not to like?

And even if the offense dries up, we now have a 6'4 RHD that can skate in our system. I will take that.

Sanheim is lh not rh

He was talking about Myers

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
That's fine, but that response wasn't intended for just you.

If you need to see numbers to believe in a guy, then so be it. I'm buying what I've seen so far this year. He's a good prospect- undrafted or not. Points or no points.

Well, I need numbers to believe a guy can put up numbers. He's an undrafted free agent playing in Q. My expectations for him are the same as pretty much every other undrafted free agent: not high. Him starting off hot doesn't change that one bit.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
AMac hurt. Out 3-4 weeks. Can't LTIR him anymore, can we?

edit: Wrong McDonald. This is getting frigging annoying.

Colin McDonald is out 3-4 weeks. Expensive MacDonald is day to day

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
http://highlandparkhockey.blogspot.com/2015/10/phantoms-practice-report-1019-injury.html

On Colin McDonald's status:

He's probably 3 to 4 weeks away.

On Andrew MacDonald:

Not sure on him. He's day to day.

On Cole Bardreau:

He's day-to-day "ish".

On Danick Martel:

If everything goes the way it should he could be back by the weekend at some point.

On Michael Parks:

Out at least a couple of weeks.

On Robert Hagg:

He doesn't have a serious injury, but it's enough to keep him out for the weekend. We'll re-evaluate then.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
*Sam Morin - 6'7 (20)
Philippe Myers - 6'5 (18)
Mark Alt - 6'4 (24)
*Travis Sanheim - 6'4 (19)
*Robert Hagg - 6'2 (20)
Luke Schenn - 6'2 (25)
*Ivan Provorov - 6'1 (18)
Brandon Manning - 6'1 (25)
*Michael del Zotto - 6'0 (25)
Radko Gudas - 6'0 (25)
*Shayne Gostisbehere - 5'11 (22)
Mark Friedman - 5'11 (19)

25U Average: 6'2"
20U Average: 6'3"
25U *Core* Average: 6'2.2"

Our futures on defense have some serious size...

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Well, I need numbers to believe a guy can put up numbers. He's an undrafted free agent playing in Q. My expectations for him are the same as pretty much every other undrafted free agent: not high. Him starting off hot doesn't change that one bit.
You're more than welcome to feel the way you want to feel, but I think evaluating a defenseman's performance based solely around points is a poor way of going about it. With his size and mobility he doesn't need to score to be a valuable asset- but he has so that makes him all the more intriguing.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, Myers +/- ain't bad either, for what it's worth.
Provorov is on pace to set some kind of ridiculous record.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Whoa...what is this noise?

Sanheim and Provorov aren't 1/2 anymore in WHL d-man scoring. Provorov needs to fix this quickly.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You're more than welcome to feel the way you want to feel, but I think evaluating a defenseman's performance based solely around points is a poor way of going about it. With his size and mobility he doesn't need to score to be a valuable asset- but he has so that makes him all the more intriguing.

Well, wait what are we talking about here? The original post to which I was responding was talking about the "ridiculous" numbers the guy is putting up and I responded by saying that this 12 game stretch is not going to convince me of anything. I wasn't "evaluating a defenseman's performance based solely around points," I was discussing a player's point production. You can't really evaluate a players point production without evaluating his point production. He may have plenty of other skills, but we are talking about the guy's offensive production. Putting up big numbers in a short stretch after a very long stretch of failing to do so is not going to change my outlook on a guy, just like a stud struggling out of the gate is not going to change my outlook.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Well, wait what are we talking about here? The original post to which I was responding was talking about the "ridiculous" numbers the guy is putting up and I responded by saying that this 12 game stretch is not going to convince me of anything. I wasn't "evaluating a defenseman's performance based solely around points," I was discussing a player's point production. You can't really evaluate a players point production without evaluating his point production. He may have plenty of other skills, but we are talking about the guy's offensive production. Putting up big numbers in a short stretch after a very long stretch of failing to do so is not going to change my outlook on a guy, just like a stud struggling out of the gate is not going to change my outlook.

Idk what we are talking about now. You confused me even more.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's just more clueless contrarianism and DFF being unable to recognize or comprehend that young players often times get over a hump in their development that allows their true skill level to shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad