Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [Mid-April Edition]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They only drafted Cutter cause his dad played in Reading, so he's bound to be a bust.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany

But danny said he has no idea why cut wasnt there.... like danny say all.day: "i dont know..."

1. He dont know helge grans after he traded for him
2. He dont know Staal wanted to play for the flyers before his agent called danny
3. He dont know why cutter wasnt in camp.....

God help this franchise!

Reactions: CutOnDime97

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Agreed on Bonk, but we can’t say he doesn’t have #1 potential. Lots of players with high IQ exceed their initial rated potential, especially on D. May not be likely he reaches it, but smart two way D are exactly what become those defensemen. And if he is a #2, he’d be a great partner for York or Andrea (who I think people are sleeping on - he’s better than York, who most people agree has top pairing potential.)
Please dont equate the people here with the idiots on twitter that listen to Jamey Baskows propaganda.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I am not trying to be down on Cutter, but I would really like to see something else from him.

We all know his shot is elite.

I need to see highlight reel of him creating space in high danger areas to get that shot off for me to be excited.

It feels like every time I see a "snipe" video its him being left so open he can take 2+ strides into it before releasing.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Please dont equate the people here with the idiots on twitter that listen to Jamey Baskows propaganda.
I'm not sure what you mean here - I don't really follow Twitter.

On York, I think a 21 year old that played very solidly in a middle pairing role - supported by his on-ice metrics as well as the eye test on his offside - can certainly develop a bit more and make his way onto a top pair in a few years.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I need to see highlight reel of him creating space in high danger areas to get that shot off for me to be excited.

It feels like every time I see a "snipe" video its him being left so open he can take 2+ strides into it before releasing.
There are a few really good shots I've seen from him where he releases very quickly. I think he's a very talented shooter, but yeah I agree. I would like to see more deception in his game, whether that's changing angles for his shot, slap-passing, shot faking, or even electing to pass to a player that's in a better position. I'm not gonna lie and act like I've watched every single one of his games, but I did watch about 6 or 7 of his BC games last year and saw the same thing more often than not.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
There are a few really good shots I've seen from him where he releases very quickly. I think he's a very talented shooter, but yeah I agree. I would like to see more deception in his game, whether that's changing angles for his shot, slap-passing, shot faking, or even electing to pass to a player that's in a better position. I'm not gonna lie and act like I've watched every single one of his games, but I did watch about 6 or 7 of his BC games last year and saw the same thing more often than not.
Yeah I watched about a half dozen BC games last year and came away thinking that he has a great shot, that at times he can get off in small areas, but doesn't have a ton of wrinkles to his game and that I want him to add a lot more deception to enhances his raw physical skills.

But he is also playing at a level where he can just overwhelm people with his physical skills without needing a lot of deception, so hopefully its a case of he doesn't need to do those things vs can't do those things.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Yeah I watched about a half dozen BC games last year and came away thinking that he has a great shot, that at times he can get off in small areas, but doesn't have a ton of wrinkles to his game and that I want him to add a lot more deception to enhances his raw physical skills.

But he is also playing at a level where he can just overwhelm people with his physical skills without needing a lot of deception, so hopefully its a case of he doesn't need to do those things vs can't do those things.
Something that I've seen stated on this board a few times is that if you're not seeing a skill at a lower level, then you shouldn't expect it at a higher level. As we're both alluding to, my biggest issues with him are the plays he's not making. I cannot expect him to make those types of the play in the NHL if he's not making them at lower levels. I don't really care if he can do those things and elects not to, it's the fact that he's not doing it is concerning.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Something that I've seen stated on this board a few times is that if you're not seeing a skill at a lower level, then you shouldn't expect it at a higher level. As we're both alluding to, my biggest issues with him are the plays he's not making. I cannot expect him to make those types of the play in the NHL if he's not making them at lower levels. I don't really care if he can do those things and elects not to, it's the fact that he's not doing it is concerning.
Yeah we are in agreement, that's just my lifeline of hope for a player I am worried is too one dimensional to justify his draft position haha.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
To be fair, Gauthier was the shooter on a line with playmakers, so I think that hindered his development.
One reason they probably wanted him to return to BC and play center with talented linemates.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

I always return to this graph because the eyes and the stats rarely meet this perfectly:

Ll3knwk.png

Laine was a super rare 80 grade shooter as a prospect (on top of more skill). He's a 30-35 goal guy because he relies almost singularly on distance shooting. Gauthier is in the 70 range as a pure shooter, but if you even just look at his ixGF/60, it's not terribly high. He over-performs his quality now, but anyone who tells you how a non-Bedard/Michkov caliber shooter will score against NHL goalies and defensemen from distance is bullshitting. It’s not even the same sport.

The fact of the matter is Gauthier relies heavily on open space, distance shooting, and cheating off the rush. I just can’t overly care about another highlight focused on that. He lacks (currently) in playmaking, boards work, play driving, and manipulating the quality of his own shot. Those are vital areas for a “star” player. I’ve always said that he’s an adept puck handler in traffic, so I don’t think some of that isn’t workable. But you definitely get the impression watching Gauthier that he’s very much content in his ways. And he’s also heading to a league bottom developmental team that also is gung-ho about him at center. Speaking of which:

:laugh:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Phantoms signed LW Evan Polei to a one-year AHL contract for next season. This will be the fifth team Polei has played on in the last six seasons.

Oh, phew. I was getting a little worried at the lack of 27-year-old face punchers. Is Polei diamond or rough? I have such trouble with this.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Phantoms signed LW Evan Polei to a one-year AHL contract for next season. This will be the fifth team Polei has played on in the last six seasons.

You can't tell me there isn't some over-age CHLer, who at least has some chance of developing, that they could not have signed. Classic Keith Jones player - let's watch paint dry.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
You can't tell me there isn't some over-age CHLer, who at least has some chance of developing, that they could not have signed. Classic Keith Jones player - let's watch paint dry.
its not a Danny or a Jonesy signing, its an AHL contract that doesnt affect the Flyers salary or contract wise

Reactions: PhiladelphiaCryers

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You do need 14-15 forwards at the AHL level, injuries, call-ups, etc.
At this point of the summer, the AHL plus guys are already signed.
And the Flyer pipeline is heavily weighted toward CHL, Europe and college players.

Reactions: tnfrs

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I always return to this graph because the eyes and the stats rarely meet this perfectly:

Ll3knwk.png

Laine was a super rare 80 grade shooter as a prospect (on top of more skill). He's a 30-35 goal guy because he relies almost singularly on distance shooting. Gauthier is in the 70 range as a pure shooter, but if you even just look at his ixGF/60, it's not terribly high. He over-performs his quality now, but anyone who tells you how a non-Bedard/Michkov caliber shooter will score against NHL goalies and defensemen from distance is bullshitting. It’s not even the same sport.

The fact of the matter is Gauthier relies heavily on open space, distance shooting, and cheating off the rush. I just can’t overly care about another highlight focused on that. He lacks (currently) in playmaking, boards work, play driving, and manipulating the quality of his own shot. Those are vital areas for a “star” player. I’ve always said that he’s an adept puck handler in traffic, so I don’t think some of that isn’t workable. But you definitely get the impression watching Gauthier that he’s very much content in his ways. And he’s also heading to a league bottom developmental team that also is gung-ho about him at center. Speaking of which:

:laugh:

If he comes to the NHL soon and maxes his time with Tortorella, that's going to also be maximizing the time spent driving him out of the organization. Because f*** development and coaching. Why do those things for a young player when you can make them miserable instead? Miserable builds character, or something. This is what Clarke raved about when Tortorella was hired. It's a core Flyers value. And they've done nothing observable to change those values.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
It does not count against the cap, but it most definitely was influenced by Flyers philosphies.....
how so? theres a limit to the number of games played players can have in the AHL so these kinds of signings all look the same because theyre all career AHL guys that literally just fill out rosters. they cant really be too picky

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
He played for the Manitoba Moose last year so I did see him play a couple times . He is not horrible but is exactly a bottom six forward . I am not sure Wilson is resigned for this year but he is a younger version with a little less skill .

I have no idea why they sign guys like this but lots of AHL teams recycle this type of player .

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He played for the Manitoba Moose last year so I did see him play a couple times . He is not horrible but is exactly a bottom six forward . I am not sure Wilson is resigned for this year but he is a younger version with a little less skill .

I have no idea why they sign guys like this but lots of AHL teams recycle this type of player .
You need to fill out an AHL roster. Flyers don't have a lot of prospects going to the AHL this season, in the next couple years as CHL classes graduate and college kids come out, they'll fill more slots from within.

There's a handful of AHL plus guys (Marody, Brooks, Belpido) who provide a veteran core, then your prospects but the rest of the roster is going to be guys you pick up off the street. The AHL plus guys tend to garner NHL or lucrative two way deals (AHL salary of $200-400K) that can eat into your 50 man limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad