Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [Mid-April Edition]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think it's a fair statistical musing: how many NHL players had similar assist rates? I'm legitimately wondering what the most extreme outliers look like.
You won't find any. I think I looked at this last year and Tippett was at the extreme end and he was close to 50/50 in the end which is still rare to find impact NHLers in that bucket.

It's just such a negative outlier, that I feel pretty confident assuming there is a serious flaw in his game. He's done it across multiple seasons now. With a bad team. With a powerhouse team. I hope they don't think he can play in the AHL next year.

Also weird they took two late birthdays from the Q in back-to-back 7th rounds. Gendron at least looks like he has one redeeming quality.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Caufield is one of the best pure shooters to come out of the draft in recent history. His D-year assist numbers were as brutal as his goal scoring was record setting. But I don't think anyone viewed him as one note or lacking skill. He was always good at creating his own shot. At Wisconsin, without Hughes, his assist rate was fine; he won a Hobey Baker at Gendron's age. He's also one of the most extreme goal side of the spectrum NHLers. He's still an outlier.

So, yeah, I'm not sure comparing a 7th rounder's age 19 QMJHL season to Caufield is where it's at. If your comparison is to someone more pedigreed with a uniquely special skill-set, it's usually dead on arrival.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I hope the goalscoring works in the NHL. Feel like the Flyers haven't had a good cherry picker in a while
I feel comfortable predicting Gendron will never score 30 goals in NHL like Simmonds, TK, Couturier or Giroux have done. Or even 25 in a season, which Tippett, JVR and Schenn managed in the past decade.

Reactions: wankstifier

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Caufield is one of the best pure shooters to come out of the draft in recent history. His D-year assist numbers were as brutal as his goal scoring was record setting. But I don't think anyone viewed him as one note or lacking skill. He was always good at creating his own shot. At Wisconsin, without Hughes, his assist rate was fine; he won a Hobey Baker at Gendron's age. He's also one of the most extreme goal side of the spectrum NHLers. He's still an outlier.

So, yeah, I'm not sure comparing a 7th rounder's age 19 QMJHL season to Caufield is where it's at. If your comparison is to someone more pedigreed with a uniquely special skill-set, it's usually dead on arrival.
Just saying if you're a top goal scorer, one can make allowances.

Gendron had a great D+1 season (though age wise more D+2), period. 69 goals in 76 games including the POs.
In 34 games with Gatineau he was +31, and +6 in 13 PO games. So he's not just cherry picking out there and leaving teammates out to dry.

Doesn't mean he doesn't need to improve a lot of aspects of his game,
He'll be in LHV this season, but doesn't turn 20 until December, so I'll be happy if he can hold his own in the AHL.
If he's going to make it to the NHL, I suspect 2024-25 will be his key season in the AHL when he needs to make a big jump after acclimating to the next level.

Some notes on Flyers prospects from an outsider:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I was thinking Auston Matthews personally.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers prospect pool was rated pretty high. What does it look like without Mikov or Gauthier because I do not see either one ever suiting up for the Flyers.
Gauthier will go pro after this college season, you never see top picks hold out for four years instead of going pro.
It happens with college players who blossom late and are looking at maybe one season before becoming a free agent.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Flyers prospect pool was rated pretty high. What does it look like without Mikov or Gauthier because I do not see either one ever suiting up for the Flyers.
? No shot Cutter plays 2 more years at BC after this

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t know what Gauthier’s feelings are but he’s too far in his development to wait out his four years & pass up NHL checks. It made sense going back to college for another year both development & personal wise opposed to playing on a lousy Flyers team for the bulk of the year. BC & Team USA at the WJC’s should both be potential championship caliber teams.

In general if you got a young player with considerable investment in who’s not really enamored with the team they get drafted by whether on or off the ice they still sign & abide their time picking up NHL checks before forcing the issue when they gain more leverage. Both PLD & Tkachuk are probably the examples of that.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
I am not trying to be down on Cutter, but I would really like to see something else from him.

We all know his shot is elite.
2 of the last goals in a blowout game, its meaningless points. No assists. worst time of the game to show up. He's one of the oldest players there and skipped dev camp for the showcase, but hes not really showcasin though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad