Phaneuf is a plug.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
Phaneuf isn't very good defensively.

There isn't an argument that is valid suggesting he is. The advanced stats argument is that he plays against top competition.

Well guess what:

If you dig deeper into the stats, as some of the prominent adv stats guys have, Phaneuf gets absolutely destroyed by that tough competition and in reality, playing against top competition is overstated in importance. It averages itself out to a point where there is a difference, but not a ridiculously high one. (Even if Carlyle is a line-matching goon).

And hell, when he's matched up against average competition he gets destroyed as well.

He puts up a decent amount of points, but isn't great defensively and shouldn't be on the team's first pairing let alone making that much money.

If you're a believer in adv stats and have been led to believe Phaneuf is good defensively given his situation, I encourage you to read this.

http://hockey-graphs.com/2014/01/06...-players-stats-toronto-maple-leafs-d-edition/

Note: It is not my piece, merely a well-done piece by someone else.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Hopefully the Leafs will be able to find another team that is willing to part with good asset(s) for Phaneuf. I wouldn't be surprised that Phaneuf becomes a better player elsewhere just like Murphy. It will be an interesting off season for sure.

Murphy was always a good D man.....even for us....he played almost two seasons as a Leaf and had a 100 points! 61 points in his first year.

Dion would have to improve a whole lot to be anywhere near as good as Larry Murphy was. Other then his last shorten season Murphy scored 40 points or better for 20 seasons.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He's been really good for most of the season, then really bad recently. I wish he wouldn't make the really dumb mistakes that he occasionally does make, but overall he's a good dman.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Phaneuf isn't very good defensively.

There isn't an argument that is valid suggesting he is. The advanced stats argument is that he plays against top competition.

Well guess what:

If you dig deeper into the stats, as some of the prominent adv stats guys have, Phaneuf gets absolutely destroyed by that tough competition and in reality, playing against top competition is overstated in importance. It averages itself out to a point where there is a difference, but not a ridiculously high one. (Even if Carlyle is a line-matching goon).

And hell, when he's matched up against average competition he gets destroyed as well.

He puts up a decent amount of points, but isn't great defensively and shouldn't be on the team's first pairing let alone making that much money.

If you're a believer in adv stats and have been led to believe Phaneuf is good defensively given his situation, I encourage you to read this.

http://hockey-graphs.com/2014/01/06...-players-stats-toronto-maple-leafs-d-edition/

Note: It is not my piece, merely a well-done piece by someone else.

That was a great piece.

This was my favorite part...

"As the chart above shows, Phaneuf turns 55% corsi players into 66% corsi players – these guys basically go from elite to absolutely dominant when facing Dion Phaneuf. And it’s not like Phaneuf does better against weaker players either – against poor opponents, Phaneuf turns 45% corsi players (very bad) into 53.25% corsi players (pretty darn good)."

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I'm trading him off my Be a GM NHL 14 club. Oh captain, my captain?

No captain of mine.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
That was a great piece.

This was my favorite part...

"As the chart above shows, Phaneuf turns 55% corsi players into 66% corsi players – these guys basically go from elite to absolutely dominant when facing Dion Phaneuf. And it’s not like Phaneuf does better against weaker players either – against poor opponents, Phaneuf turns 45% corsi players (very bad) into 53.25% corsi players (pretty darn good)."
That means that when Dion is on ice, the opposition generates more offence than us. It is a proxy to possession, but what it actually tells us that Dion isn't a very great puck mover especially under this system. He doesn't have the foot speed to actually change the CORSI differentials. However, I think it'd be more worthy looking at his GA-on ice over 60 minutes of 2.42. Weber sits on 2.73 ( on Trotz hard trap system), OEL ( 1.95 ), Doughty (2.04). He's not the best on the team, but neither is Shea Weber, and this has a lot to do with the competition he's up against. The difference isn't radically huge, but it is going to make a different.

I think what this is telling us that someone like Gardiner who is a great at driving possession needs to be with Phaneuf. His role should be largely stay-at-home with his shot being utilised once we're setup in the offensive zone. I just can't see him doing what Gardiner and Rielly can do effortlessly and, that is, creatively distribute the puck from the blueline.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Dion = stand in front of his net while barking instructions to his D-partner making him do all the work while he gets embarrassed in puck battles in front of the net. He racks his TOI up and then cashes in on a big contract ("oh but who will play those tough minutes if we trade Phaneuf?" All his ass does is stand around like a goof)

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I dont understand why ppl worry about his ice time if he was traded. Some one else would play those minutes, it is not as if have a positive influence on our play anyway

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He was great for most of the year but he's definitely been struggling lately. I have no doubt he's playing with a minor injury.

michi510

Aug 31, 2011
Toronto
Injury or not... I really didn't like how he avoided the media yesterday post game. Dion, you're being paid to be the leader of this hockey club, show some responsibility and answer for your poor play.

I hate this vibe I get from the group... we're not winning anything significant with this lack of leadership on the team.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
He was great for most of the year but he's definitely been struggling lately. I have no doubt he's playing with a minor injury.

He was never great unless your meaning of great is somewhat different. Like, "this very ordinary beer taste great because I was really thirsty", great.

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
you will not, WILL NOT find a more AVERAGE player in the entire NHL than Dion Phanuef.

how he swindled big contracts is so far beyond me. WORST. LEAFS. CAPTAIN. EVER.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I'm trading him off my Be a GM NHL 14 club. Oh captain, my captain?

No captain of mine.

biggiest question is WHO SIGNED THIS CLOWN? to more money than many of his peers ,in the real world nonis would get fired over clarkson and phaneuf ...plus the rumors of the leafs dressing room divided too ..bad odor coming from the ACC

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He was never great unless your meaning of great is somewhat different. Like, "this very ordinary beer taste great because I was really thirsty", great.

He was great though. Whether it was because he was the best we had is irrelevant.

He came up big for us for most of the year and the stats backed it up. He is struggling now though.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
How the **** did this guy score 20 goals in one season? That means he actually got 20 shots on the net!

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
Phaneuf started playing poorly after signing the extension. Coincidence? I think not. He's taken his foot off the gas and simply doesn't care. That says plenty about his character and leadership (or lack thereof) right there.

I'd explore trading him this summer

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Phaneuf started playing poorly after signing the extension. Coincidence? I think not. He's taken his foot off the gas and simply doesn't care. That says plenty about his character and leadership (or lack thereof) right there.

I'd explore trading him this summer

Good luck with that, you can't keep Phaneuf a secret and hope to dump a brand new albatross contract. We probably wouldn't even get Luongo back for him...

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
deets? haven't heard this.

I haven't heard this either, though I remember there were rumored issues when Schenn was here.

I don't think that the most skilled players should always be captain (i.e. Datsyuk), but the captain definitely needs to have the capacity to rally the troops, make a big play, score a big goal. Something. Anything. We haven't seen much of that from Dion, and absolutely none this year.

Normally I am a Phaneuf hater, he's definitely not a top 20 dman in the Nhl, but during this losing skid he's being undervalued as well. The guy is a quality #2 on a good team with certain qualities that can be effective. He's not a 2way as they are trying to make him out to be, and, imo, he's not a captain. It's too late to undo that mistake though.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
Good luck with that, you can't keep Phaneuf a secret and hope to dump a brand new albatross contract. We probably wouldn't even get Luongo back for him...

Sadly i don't think there are many teams lining up to take on Phaneuf's contract. He is considered one of the most overrated and least respected around the league by players and fans alike. We've all been blind to it. Such a shame.

Avs could use a top paring LD though. I suggested Phaneuf + 1st for O'Reilly in another thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad