Phaneuf is a plug.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I won't say how I know, but I was exchanging tweets with someone in the media, and he said he knows Phaneuf is hurt.

Also said it is not an excuse, but he confirmed he was playing hurt.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Ahhhhh the plus minus are dumb argument

so compelling. So the -3 last night shows zero indication as to how he played. Give your head a shake

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
There was a noticeable team change when Dion came here. There is also a noticeable change when Dion isn't in the lineup.

Don't wish for his absence, unless you feel comfortable with watching the team regress and get even worse.

I very much wish for his absence as he is big part of the issues...we would be a better team with a better defensive player back in return and that is not as hard as you and others think....

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
I don't agree with the Phaneuf criticism.
So what's wrong here?
You're delusional. That's what's wrong. Do you wash his car or something? There's no excuse or rationalization in defending Celine. He's a turnover machine and too slow in his own zone. He cannot read plays. That's not due to exhaustion. That's simply because he is a mediocre dman at best. He's okay at the point for PPs and even that is stretching things. He gets outsmarted and constantly loses battles. I'm not sure what it takes to convince oblivious apologists. No wonder this franchise can easily dupe the fans.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Everyone was questioning whether he was worth signing long term. He wasn't.
You don't have doubts with proven elite players.
This is a case of "I told you so" coming back and kicking you in the nuts every damn game.
Yep. They're going to be pretty sore. There's still seven years to go and Dion is gonna get even worse - just contemplate that. ;)

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Just listened to Phaneuf on the afternoon Tim & Sid. He gave good measured responses to the obvious questions...eg. why did you not speak to media? and took some ownership for his poor play. Kudos for this. Now he has to show that these are not just words and to lead the team on the ice in the next 8 games. The ball is in his court.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Just listened to Phaneuf on the afternoon Tim & Sid. He gave good measured responses to the obvious questions...eg. why did you not speak to media? and took some ownership for his poor play. Kudos for this. Now he has to show that these are not just words and to lead the team on the ice in the next 8 games. The ball is in his court.
:laugh: He just makes excuses. He said, that he didn't want emotions to get the best of him.... lol.... so, he's not mature or collected enough to keep them in check? What a baby. What did he think he was going to do, tell reporters to go F* themselves? Maybe, it would have shown he gave a ****. He's totally unsuitable for captain.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
You tried Defending him by using the fact that he faces the best Q of C.....but he is poor against them. The blogger is bang on....if you are going to use the QOC to defend him, then his result while playing against those and other players is very valid.
I wouldn't say he's poor defending them. If that was the case, Grabovski would've been a beast last-year. Instead, Dion doesn't seem to drive much shots, but he's pretty damn effective producing points and at limiting his GA. You can say, he rivals with the top defenceman in that regard, and we can see that in the games.

Top liners - especially Crosby - tend to hate him.

I hold him accountable for his play and his lack of leadership.....that is on him, not on his teammates.
You don't see like him probably more on the "leadership" side. I actually don't see him as the vocal side. However, his play for most of the season has been fantastic.

[QUITE]His influence on the play when on the ice is very noticeable....he does not separate man from puck, [/QUOTE] He does separate the man from the puck. To take cases where he doesn't isn't going to be productive. In terms of one-on-one ability, he's excellent. Take the best players and he's noticeable in terms of effectiveness. It's interesting to note that it was Gunnarsson who often finds trouble covering his man and this was noticeable against Boston.

he can not play against the cycle because he is a poor transitional skater.
He needs to be

He does not box out our opponents when the puck goes to the point....he adds to the screening of our goalie.
I think that is more a part of Carlyle's strategy than anything. He doesn't seem to like individual battles in the neutral zone and prefers that everyone collapses in order to force low % shots. It is true that Dion does like to park himself in front of the net like a stay-at-home and that's how he played in Calgary as well.

He ices the puck more then any other D man on the team. He is second to lots of pucks he could be first to, and tracks the puck worse then any D man on the team.....other then that he has been good defensively!
He's being expected to be the puck mover AND is the stay-at-home guy. That is obviously not going to pan out well for the top pairing. What's hilarious is that everyone on either side will admit that Dion will park himself in front of the net. That is, being a stay-at-home defenceman while Gunnarsson is supposed to move the puck. Ironically, Gunnarsson doesn't do either despite being a solid mid-pairing guy. I think if we had someone like Gardiner who can move the puck extremely effectively ( while being solid defensively), we'd have a much better top pairing. Dion needs someone that can move the puck well ( i.e. Aucoin) rather than a stay-at-home like Regehr.

I am not saying it's ideal, but we're not getting anyone better than Dion for a while. It is true that Duncan Keith could play a similar role ( doesn't this year) and would look better due to his excellent transitional skating, but that doesn't really matter. We're not getting him and are better off waiting for Gardiner/ Rielly to develop into something like that.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Sorry when it was time for him to step up and act like a captain he failed to do so....he needs to put his big boy pants on and be there when it counts....and not after the fact!

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Ya

It doesn't mean anything when you have your media guys write something for you and hide behind the cloak of radio

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I wouldn't say he's poor defending them. If that was the case, Grabovski would've been a beast last-year. Instead, Dion doesn't seem to drive much shots, but he's pretty damn effective producing points and at limiting his GA. You can say, he rivals with the top defenceman in that regard, and we can see that in the games.

Top liners - especially Crosby - tend to hate him.

You don't see like him probably more on the "leadership" side. I actually don't see him as the vocal side. However, his play for most of the season has been fantastic.

[QUITE]His influence on the play when on the ice is very noticeable....he does not separate man from puck,
He does separate the man from the puck. To take cases where he doesn't isn't going to be productive. In terms of one-on-one ability, he's excellent. Take the best players and he's noticeable in terms of effectiveness. It's interesting to note that it was Gunnarsson who often finds trouble covering his man and this was noticeable against Boston.

He needs to be

I think that is more a part of Carlyle's strategy than anything. He doesn't seem to like individual battles in the neutral zone and prefers that everyone collapses in order to force low % shots. It is true that Dion does like to park himself in front of the net like a stay-at-home and that's how he played in Calgary as well.

He's being expected to be the puck mover AND is the stay-at-home guy. That is obviously not going to pan out well for the top pairing. What's hilarious is that everyone on either side will admit that Dion will park himself in front of the net. That is, being a stay-at-home defenceman while Gunnarsson is supposed to move the puck. Ironically, Gunnarsson doesn't do either despite being a solid mid-pairing guy. I think if we had someone like Gardiner who can move the puck extremely effectively ( while being solid defensively), we'd have a much better top pairing. Dion needs someone that can move the puck well ( i.e. Aucoin) rather than a stay-at-home like Regehr.

I am not saying it's ideal, but we're not getting anyone better than Dion for a while. It is true that Duncan Keith could play a similar role ( doesn't this year) and would look better due to his excellent transitional skating, but that doesn't really matter. We're not getting him and are better off waiting for Gardiner/ Rielly to develop into something like that.[/QUOTE]
You typed a whole lot and never refuted anything I said....

A stay at home D man job is not to screen his goalie. He is a player that keeps the play in front of him.

The bold part is mine .....the rest is not.

Last edited:

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
You calling me an idiot .....too funny. His team mate was laying on the ice....he was not on a shift change....the refs called the period!

Yes it is a captains responsibility to be available to the media after a game.

I watch all the games and understand what I'm watching....your comments above leads me to believe that you have no idea about what you are watching.

He wasn't even ON THE ICE. You clearly don't watch the games and he is not even paired with Ranger. You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Good eye. Also didn't notice his absence as I was re posting

Gleason has a healthy minus 6. It's not a minus 6 because he is crap, it's because the team has been crap. Franson is another story for instance, you can pin a lot on him.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He wasn't even ON THE ICE. You clearly don't watch the games and he is not even paired with Ranger. You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

WTF......

He left the ice and went to the dressing room when his team mate was laying on the ice......talk about not having a clue.....you should get one!

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
You're delusional. That's what's wrong. Do you wash his car or something? There's no excuse or rationalization in defending Celine. He's a turnover machine and too slow in his own zone. He cannot read plays. That's not due to exhaustion. That's simply because he is a mediocre dman at best. He's okay at the point for PPs and even that is stretching things. He gets outsmarted and constantly loses battles. I'm not sure what it takes to convince oblivious apologists. No wonder this franchise can easily dupe the fans.

Delusional? Ha! This entire team is a tire-fire when it comes to protecting the puck and defending it, and you're dumb enough to think it's all Dion's fault?

Mediocre defenseman?

You do realize your talking about a guy who was a Norris runner up in 07-08, placed 12th in voting in 08-09, 16th in 09-10, and 11th in 12-13, and you THINK he's mediocre? Wow.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Phaneuf is not worth his current contract!

I wanted him re-signed to the same salary at best. He should have been signed for between $5.5M and $6.5M tops!

Don't get me wrong, I like Phaneuf, however, he's just NOT a #1 D on a Stanley Cup contender. He'd be a good #2 or a great #3!

I hope he is traded this summer!

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
He does separate the man from the puck. To take cases where he doesn't isn't going to be productive. In terms of one-on-one ability, he's excellent. Take the best players and he's noticeable in terms of effectiveness. It's interesting to note that it was Gunnarsson who often finds trouble covering his man and this was noticeable against Boston.

He needs to be

I am not saying it's ideal, but we're not getting anyone better than Dion for a while. It is true that Duncan Keith could play a similar role ( doesn't this year) and would look better due to his excellent transitional skating, but that doesn't really matter. We're not getting him and are better off waiting for Gardiner/ Rielly to develop into something like that.
You typed a whole lot and never refuted anything I said....

A stay at home D man job is not to screen his goalie. He is a player that keeps the play in front of him.

The bold part is mine .....the rest is not.[/QUOTE] Does he screen the goalie? I think you're being rather too critical about his play. He does a pretty great job keeping the player off the net. It does seem like he's nursing an injury as well, but when Crosby, etc is on, he makes sure they're away from the goalie. The problem is, we're so used to seeing our opposition keep our top line away from the net, and that's why it appears so.

Gunnarsson doesn't even play a physical style to make him a threat in front of the net. I think I've noticed Rielly using his body a lot more than him, and really trying to stop plays. The short session where he played with Phaneuf ( against LA), he really looked like a better "stabilising" presence when Dion messed up.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
WTF......

He left the ice and went to the dressing room when his team mate was laying on the ice......talk about not having a clue.....you should get one!

The entire team left the dressing room after THE REFS told both teams to go to the dressing room, and at Carlyle's direction.

You're flat lying, and making stuff up to create a false narrative, and you're really lousy at it.

So you want him to ignore Carlyle and ignore the refs, be rebellious and do otherwise to prove to you he's a good leader? What a joke!

Last edited:

cack

Jul 30, 2013
Phaneuf is getting the Bouwmeester treatment. A great defenseman that has played great for the Leafs despite having to carry a young team on his shoulders.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Phaneuf is getting the Bouwmeester treatment. A great defenseman that has played great for the Leafs despite having to carry a young team on his shoulders.

The people pointing fingers at Phaneuf, don't even have hands. They must be typing on their keyboards with their noses.

It probably goes something like this:

7S5g5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad