Confirmed with Link: Petry signs a one-year contract.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
This makes sense. Schultz has made it clear since he left Anaheim that he is all about the dollars. I would expect nothing less than him squeezing every dollar out of every team that will give it to him. And why not? In a few years he might Bergeron his way out of the league anyways. A guy has to make his money while he can.

This is incorrect. The Oilers didn't get Schultz by outbidding 29 other NHL teams. He was getting the same offer from all 30 teams: The rookie max. His maneuvering was more about having control over where he would play, where he would get the best opportunity, etc.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
This is incorrect. The Oilers didn't get Schultz by outbidding 29 other NHL teams. He was getting the same offer from all 30 teams: The rookie max. His maneuvering was more about having control over where he would play, where he would get the best opportunity, etc.

He screwed over the team that drafted him so that he could go to the worst team in the league, rack up the ice time and opportunity, and soon he'll be playing for a real team (within a year or two) with a much bigger paycheque. The guy knew what he is doing and is smart.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Which was all based on dollars. He wanted to go somewhere that would give him the best shot at playing now so he could make big bucks on contract two.

RowdyMcPfeifer

Aug 17, 2007
And in neither case do you have any certainty the player will want to sign there.

I can't think of any example of unsigned RFAs who were traded. Anyone?

Phil Kessel was a high profile unsigned RFA that was traded, and then signed his deal with the leafs right after. He netted two first rounders and a second rounder, only slightly below (a 3rd round pick) what Boston would've received had the Leafs offer sheeted him in the first place.

If someone offered Petry the deal the Oilers signed him to, the Oil would've received a 2nd round pick in return.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Phil Kessel was a high profile unsigned RFA that was traded, and then signed his deal with the leafs right after. He netted two first rounders and a second rounder, only slightly below (a 3rd round pick) what Boston would've received had the Leafs offer sheeted him in the first place.

If someone offered Petry the deal the Oilers signed him to, the Oil would've received a 2nd round pick in return.

Actually it was 32nd overall (Jared Knight).. almost a 1st round pick

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
He screwed over the team that drafted him so that he could go to the worst team in the league, rack up the ice time and opportunity, and soon he'll be playing for a real team (within a year or two) with a much bigger paycheque. The guy knew what he is doing and is smart.

Which was all based on dollars. He wanted to go somewhere that would give him the best shot at playing now so he could make big bucks on contract two.

That's all pretty hypothetical though and it hasn't really paid off for him. He's looking at a short-term bridge contract now, he's hardly hit the jackpot. It also doesn't align with some of the other teams who came close to signing him, such as Vancouver which was still a very strong organization at the time.

I'll concede signing with the Oilers may have got him marginally more $ on his second contract than he would have got with signing with Anaheim (for example), but he was likely always going to get paid on his third NHL contract, which is fairly common for young prospects.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Yup. Where's all these claims of 8,9,10 million for these two combined?

Ya. They shouldn't be over 6. Especially now that Petry took 3.

and besides all this.. nobody in Alberta wants to buy a Petry jersey...

they all want a Schultz jersey

I wonder where Petry jerseys would be in demand...?? hmmmm

I want a Petry jersey... I just haven't bought one because I want to know he's actually going to be around in the future

2.875 or less on a 2 year.

I'd be ok with that.

RowdyMcPfeifer

Aug 17, 2007
Actually it was 32nd overall (Jared Knight).. almost a 1st round pick

What I meant was that the Leafs gave up 2 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick for Kessel. If they offer-sheeted Kessel, they would've given up the 2 1st round picks, the 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick. They gave up slightly less by trading for him, in that they didn't have to forfeit their 3rd round pick.

The draft positions of the picks weren't known at the time of the trade.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Glad we didn't overpay in money or term for him.

We need to save our money down the line for our great players. Not our average ones. At least it's another actual NHL defensman to start our season with. Maybe the short contract for decent dollars actually gets him a better return.

The only thing I don't like is that MacT should have traded Gagner, Smid and Petry while they were RFAs before signing them to dumb contracts. If he's not going to be here long term for decent money I imagine he'll be gone at the deadline for a 2nd or 3rd. I wonder if we could have got more just leaving him RFA.

Now it's time to lock up Justin Schultz. Five years, 20 million. Let's see if he rolls with that. Reticent to give him more.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What I meant was that the Leafs gave up 2 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick for Kessel. If they offer-sheeted Kessel, they would've given up the 2 1st round picks, the 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick. They gave up slightly less by trading for him, in that they didn't have to forfeit their 3rd round pick.

The draft positions of the picks weren't known at the time of the trade.

Actually would have only cost the Leafs a 1st, 2nd and 3rd to offer sheet Kessel to the contract he ended up signing for.

They gave up that extra first rounder (ended up being Dougie Hamilton lol) because Burke doesn't believe in offer sheets.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Glad we didn't overpay in money or term for him.

We need to save our money down the line for our great players. Not our average ones. At least it's another actual NHL defensman to start our season with. Maybe the short contract for decent dollars actually gets him a better return.

The only thing I don't like is that MacT should have traded Gagner, Smid and Petry while they were RFAs before signing them to dumb contracts. If he's not going to be here long term for decent money I imagine he'll be gone at the deadline for a 2nd or 3rd. I wonder if we could have got more just leaving him RFA.

Now it's time to lock up Justin Schultz. Five years, 20 million. Let's see if he rolls with that. Reticent to give him more.

Same thing.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Petry > Schultz. I hope a 1-year deal for Jeff doesn't mean he plans on leaving. Also, glad to hear the Oilers are far off in negotiations with Jultz. Hopefully they don't give in

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Same thing.

Schultz may be an average defender but he definitely shows signs of being a higher end offensive player from the back end, something we lack.

If he was willing to take 4 mill over 4 or 5 years, I'd be inclined to bite. D-Men that can score 12-14 goals a year + chip in 40-45 points from the back end would cost the Oilers a good 6+ million on the open market even as average defenders.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Schultz's potential going forward >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Petry

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
5-6 defenceman with a stay at home partner is what he's best suited for. I don't see anything better than that in this guy. He's prone to mistakes and rarely takes the body. He's terrible at gap control and awful along the boards. Someone with his skillset should be good keeping the puck in the offensive zone along the boards. Unfortunately its' not his forte at all.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The Oilers are so blatantly crossing their fingers for Nurse, Klefbom, and Marincin. They're just trying to get their blue line to survive another 1-2 years before the saviors are ready to ascend.

Maybe if they manage to dump Ference at the deadline (good luck) they'll be able to re-sign Petry.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers are so blatantly crossing their fingers for Nurse, Klefbom, and Marincin. They're just trying to get their blue line to survive another 1-2 years before the saviors are ready to ascend.

Maybe if they manage to dump Ference at the deadline (good luck) they'll be able to re-sign Petry.

You have to be careful with your cap situation as a whole. We have to sign Marincin yes, but also Yakupov and Schultz soon.

Even Draistal, if you're giving a Petry a 4-5 year deal at above $4 million ... that could be problematic.

We overspent on one long term deal and that's the Pouliot one, which I guess at some point to get some size into this lineup we were going to have to do, but we have to be careful from now on as to who we're locking in for 2+ years.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

Why are you even still allowed to talk in this thread?

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Schultz's potential going forward >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Petry

Based on what? Offence alone maybe, but everything outside of points Petry has shown he's head and shoulders above Jultz.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Based on what? Offence alone maybe, but everything outside of points Petry has shown he's head and shoulders above Jultz.

Petry has also had two more years of development.

Schultz has been better than Petry at every other level they have played at. I don't think that's going to change in the NHL.

oilz89*

[mod] yeah obviously he knew we would suck this much :shakehead . You hate him even though he's played 1.5 years and ,point-wise, he's been great and has said nothing about leaving

Last edited by a moderator:

Eirhead*

Lol... Petry sucks. Schultz is picking up bad habits from "mentors" like Petry. The sooner Petry's out the door the better. Just because he put on 30 pounds of muscle in one summer doesn't make him a great defenceman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad