Confirmed with Link: Petry signs a one-year contract.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Based on what? Offence alone maybe, but everything outside of points Petry has shown he's head and shoulders above Jultz.
Don't think so... lots of footage from last year showing Petry getting beat 1 on 1. Not a top pair guy, I like him and hope for the best but I have my doubts. J Schultz was not that great defensively either but the offensive flair he has shown leads me to believe he will be a better player.

CanadianDestroyer

Oct 3, 2006
Edmonton
The Oilers are paying him too much but it's only 1-year and they are far enough under the cap it won't screw them (I don't think any other FAs worth mentioning are coming here this summer). I can't see him getting traded next season and he's UFA at the end of this so Klefbom and Nurse better be ready.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
To all the people that feel Schultz will be running out of here when he gets a 'real' contract offer from a 'real' team, I disagree.
Schultz chose to sign with us because of our young Canadian core and because the likes of Gretzky personally contacted him to tell him what a great place it would be for him here.
I feel his view of that hasn't changed, He DOMINATED the AHL during lockout and has grown alot offensively and defensively this previous season while also making good friends with Nuge (especially) and others.
I honestly don't see him leaving us, MacT considers him a part of our core going forward and I'm sure Justin feels the same way.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
I predict this time next year Pety is signing a deal in Detroit.:handclap: MacT is slowly picking off the players I've wanted off this team for a while now....Paajarvi,Horc, Hemsky, Gagner....Petry?...Thanks MacT.:5:

MrOiler

Jul 28, 2006
Calgary
Anybody remember the 1 year deal Sammy G. signed? He signed a 3 year deal after that one.

It does happen.

Looks to me that Petry wanted a lot of money. Do you think he's worth $5MM? More?

What's left for Yak? How about Perron - he's due in 2 years ... and then there's Shultz.

I think Petry is fourth man down on this list.

OVOXO*

There are always players like Petry available in FA. I know we developed him so we value him more than others but is he really better than Gilbert even? Definitely not offensively, and debatable defensively. He's not that good.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Petry sounded robotic in Stauffer's interview today. Don't know what that means . I didn't think he was all that great last year so I think the Oilers did the right thing here. Don't have any confidence in Schultz being here long term. They both have the same agent and I feel it's going to be problematic with Schultz as well. Stauffer did mention that the Oilers and Schultz are not close in negotiations.
Btw..Petry or Schultz would be a 3rd or 4th D on a good team. They need still need a lot of work defensively.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Anybody remember the 1 year deal Sammy G. signed? He signed a 3 year deal after that one.

That was an interesting deal.

If Petry plays this year and is willing to sign a three year deal for a slight raise that would be very interesting.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Don't think so... lots of footage from last year showing Petry getting beat 1 on 1. Not a top pair guy, I like him and hope for the best but I have my doubts. J Schultz was not that great defensively either but the offensive flair he has shown leads me to believe he will be a better player.

... No footage of Schultz getting beat ever?

Never said Petry was a top pairing guy. BUT lets look at who his playing partners have been these last two years. He's had Smid, who's play fell off a cliff, and a raw yet surprising rookie Marincin. He consistently gets the hardest assignments and no advantageous zone starts and he's keeping his head above water.

He also gets little to no PP time. It's no wonder he has a harder time putting up points. I'm not suggesting Petry has the same offensive upside that Schultz does, but put into context, I'm replying to Beerfish's extremely hyperbolic post. I just don't agree. It's been talked about widely the last few weeks on the internets about how defencemen can contribute to offense without seeing the visual results of goals and/or assists. Anton Stralman being the best recent example.

Drew Doughty in LA is a great example as well...

The huge difference here is that Gagner signed that deal and at the end of the year would still be RFA; Petry signed this deal to get him to UFA. If the Oilers don't get Petry to an extension or trade him at the deadline he will be the best Dman drafted and developed by the Oilers in a while and they will have absolutely nothing to show for it when he walks in free agency. And he's pretty ******* good to boot. Just a glaring example of terrible asset management.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
To all the people that feel Schultz will be running out of here when he gets a 'real' contract offer from a 'real' team, I disagree.
Schultz chose to sign with us because of our young Canadian core and because the likes of Gretzky personally contacted him to tell him what a great place it would be for him here.
I feel his view of that hasn't changed, He DOMINATED the AHL during lockout and has grown alot offensively and defensively this previous season while also making good friends with Nuge (especially) and others.
I honestly don't see him leaving us, MacT considers him a part of our core going forward and I'm sure Justin feels the same way.

well we can't know what Schultz wants either way. Probably even MacT doesn't no for sure. There have been instances in the past where GMs were taken aback by a looming free agent who just gave nice platitudes. (I want to say that this happened with Suter if I remember correctly).

If we give him a bridge deal, I hope it is only for one season. My preference is for a long term deal because I agree that his pre-NHL play indicates that he has not come close to his NHL potential yet.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I was hoping that we'd trade Petry's RFA rights for a #2C. His 1 year deal pretty much makes his trade value just draft picks now.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
There are always players like Petry available in FA. I know we developed him so we value him more than others but is he really better than Gilbert even? Definitely not offensively, and debatable defensively. He's not that good.

Gilbert was our best D for years, ran him out of town. Petry our best D after Gilbert left, down play his value then run him out of town.

This team can't draft, can't develop and can't keep talent. Sad.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Gilbert was our best D for years, ran him out of town. Petry our best D after Gilbert left, down play his value then run him out of town.

This team can't draft, can't develop and can't keep talent. Sad.

Gilbert and Petry both have rather large question marks about their overall game.

Both "may " have been the best D men on some of the worst hockey teams of the last decade. I am being generous with the "may ".

If u can't see the flaws of their game you're in no position to insult the Oilers management.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
And in neither case do you have any certainty the player will want to sign there.

I can't think of any example of unsigned RFAs who were traded. Anyone?

Ding ding ding! If Petry didn't want to sign here long term, the team didn't have very many options.

Kessel, and I'm sure theres a lot more. I know NHL teams like working out there own deals with players usually.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Gilbert and Petry both have rather large question marks about their overall game.

Both "may " have been the best D men on some of the worst hockey teams of the last decade. I am being generous with the "may ".

If u can't see the flaws of their game you're in no position to insult the Oilers management.

Flawed or not, Gilbert and Petry were the top dmen on the club, only to be run out of town because fans have stupid expectations of them. You don't get better by trading your best dmen. That shouldn't be difficult to understand

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
We could have let a team talk to Petry and try to work out a deal if we were serious about trading him. MacT sure knows how to make valuable assets worthless with contracts. Did it with Gagner and now has done it with Petry.

Ummm and why could we not do that now?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I have no problem with this contract.

Let Petry show his worth in a situation (unlike the past 2 seasons) with some support around him.

If he shows well then you begin the process of re-signing him in the new year.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
We could have let a team talk to Petry and try to work out a deal if we were serious about trading him. MacT sure knows how to make valuable assets worthless with contracts. Did it with Gagner and now has done it with Petry.

How are the two situations even comparable?

A team could make a deal with Petry similar to what the Oilers did with Columbus for Nikitin. Give them a window to negotiate an extension. No deal, no trade.

The Gagner contract was a boat anchor that admittedly only hurt the team for a season.

The Petry and Gagner contracts are light years different.

If anything the one year on Petry may have been lessons learned from the Gagner extension.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
How are the two situations even comparable?

A team could make a deal with Petry similar to what the Oilers did with Columbus for Nikitin. Give them a window to negotiate an extension. No deal, no trade.

The Gagner contract was a boat anchor that admittedly only hurt the team for a season.

The Petry and Gagner contracts are light years different.

If anything the one year on Petry may have been lessons learned from the Gagner extension.

How are they not comparable? Gagner was signed because MacT thought it was a good idea and wanted to keep him around, less then a year later he's traded. I was calling for Gagner to be traded right up until the point he was signed last year while his value was at it highest. Similarly Petry should have been traded, but it looks like MacT is content going into the season with crap centers and extra depth on d. The difference is that at least Petry isn't going to be impossible to move now. But in saying that I'll be surprised if we get anything more then picks for him when he is eventually moved as MacT has basically killed his trade value like he did with Gagner. He either overpays or underpays and kills trade value.

Last edited:

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

Offensive flair is nice but with 4x time the power play time, he better have more points. And offensive flair while nice doesn't mean the team scores more. Petry still brings points to the table on a whole as the team scores more when he's on the ice, more than Schultz with all his offensive gifts.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
He always sounds robotic. Like he's comatose. Pretty much the antithesis of a leader. His advanced stats numbers might be ok, but he's hardly the kind of guy you build your defence around.

Funny-gif-man-jump-out-the-window.gif

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Offensive flair is nice but with 4x time the power play time, he better have more points. And offensive flair while nice doesn't mean the team scores more. Petry still brings points to the table on a whole as the team scores more when he's on the ice, more than Schultz with all his offensive gifts.

Yup. That Schultz is putting up numbers and still getting buried compared to Petry shows the gap between the two is even wider than people think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad