Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Season Thread (Part Two)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The Petes don’t have an 06 group to build around either. They should absolutely be asking for a top 07. Not really sure why so many people think the standard will suddenly change this year because it’s the Petes selling.
There could be a better ‘06 available, or one they prefer more than an ‘07

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Isn’t he an import? Why would kingston give up Chromiak or hemstrom
Anson Thornton isn’t an import. Don’t see much of a market for him and Barrie is surely gonna sell him would be a good get for Kingston. Also someone like Melee could add some depth this year and then return for a OA season next year. Kingston should look for a 04 who will be back next year

Reactions: frontsfan67

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Doesn't matter what we believe on HF. If the GM of the Petes has the most sought after player in Beck he should start with an 07 from any opposing team looking to buy. Fans of the Petes should expect nothing less for the top player.
It’s been decades since a player like Martone or any top 5 picked 16 yr old 1st was offered up; no one should expect Martin to be available.
There could very well be more sure-thing ‘06s than ‘07s being offered.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
It’s been decades since a player like Martone or any top 5 picked 16 yr old 1st was offered up; no one should expect Martin to be available.
There could very well be more sure-thing ‘06s than ‘07s being offered.
It make absolute no sense for the Petes to want an 06 over an 07. Their 06 group is bad and Carson Cameron looks legit. The team is much more likely to be competitive again with the 07 and 08 age group. Going for 06 players doesn’t make sense. It’s really not that hard of a concept.

The going rate for the top available forward has been a first rounder and picks. If Martin was included it would mean less/different picks involved.

The Petes are going to what’s best for the Petes not accommodate the buying team. If you want to play then you should expect to pay.

Obviously it’s hard for fans to let good young players go in trades. I was very apprehensive about the Petes trading back to back 6th overall picks, but boy am I glad Oke bit the bullet and put a banner in the rafters.

Doesn't matter what we believe on HF. If the GM of the Petes has the most sought after player in Beck he should start with an 07 from any opposing team looking to buy. Fans of the Petes should expect nothing less for the top player.
Nice to hear the someone gets it.

It’s funny because SSM assumed the Petes should’ve traded them the world and more for Barrett Hayton back in 2019/20.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Guelph is my dark horse for beck. Beauchene and Cameron would be one hell of a pairing for many years to come.

Teams in the running for beck and ludwinski are soo, Guelph, London, Saginaw, Sudbury imo. Beck will go first and teams will scramble to get ludwinski raising his price.

Ssm Sudbury Kitchener my guesses

It make absolute no sense for the Petes to want an 06 over an 07. Their 06 group is bad and Carson Cameron looks legit. The team is much more likely to be competitive again with the 07 and 08 age group. Going for 06 players doesn’t make sense. It’s really not that hard of a concept.

The going rate for the top available forward has been a first rounder and picks. If Martin was included it would mean less/different picks involved.

The Petes are going to what’s best for the Petes not accommodate the buying team. If you want to play then you should expect to pay.

Obviously it’s hard for fans to let good young players go in trades. I was very apprehensive about the Petes trading back to back 6th overall picks, but boy am I glad Oke bit the bullet and put a banner in the rafters.

Nice to hear the someone gets it.

It’s funny because SSM assumed the Petes should’ve traded them the world and more for Barrett Hayton back in 2019/20.

They asked for McTavish and got the same response you’re getting about Martin. What’s your point? lol this was also in regards to a player who wasn’t ON the market. We were asking the world because you needed to convince the team to even consider moving him :S. Lmao

I think it’s ridiculous to want the same return you spent on Beck back but I can see why fans want it. Soo can walk and find other additions if need be, as deep as they are.

Shane Wright didn’t even fetch a 16 year old like Brady Martin LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: EvenSteven

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

They asked for McTavish and got the same response you’re getting about Martin. What’s your point? lol this was also in regards to a player who wasn’t ON the market. We were asking the world because you needed to convince the team to even consider moving him :S. Lmao

I think it’s ridiculous to want the same return you spent on Beck back but I can see why fans want it. Soo can walk and find other additions if need be, as deep as they are.

Shane Wright didn’t even fetch a signed 17 year old…..

The reality is the Petes will take whatever the best value trade is. A full sum of its parts. It is not like they are trying to fill specific needs. After last season, they are trying to replenish all areas at every position and picks in many if not all years.

They will make a best effort to acquire the best individual player that can make the most impact. If that is a 16 year old or a 17 year old, it should not matter. Even if the Petes aren’t deep in ‘06s, the ‘06 will help them rebuild, either through the benefit of more mature play or through a trade two seasons from now to continue to build up the assets to support their ‘07 and ‘08 class.

At the end of the day, the Petes aren’t in a position to simply decide to not trade Beck. If there are no viable 16 year olds that the management likes, they won’t simply walk away. They will change focus to the best 17 year olds.

I am not saying they won’t get a 16 year old. I am saying that the ones that other teams make available may not be liked by the Petes management. There are a fair number of bust 1st rounders. Players that don’t make a significant impact. Forcing themselves potentially into one fo those simply because he is 16 isn’t viable. They need to first like the player they are getting.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
This year a couple of OHL squads will be present at the Mem Cup as we all know. I think the teams that want it the most will try to bolster their line ups particularly this year. In this scenario you will pay to play. Petes are in the hot seat having Beck and Smith. Any team hoping to acquire both by the deadline will have to pony up a ton of assets. If the Petes GM has a brain he will certainly take advantage of any trades. I doubt he cares what us armchair GMs on HF think player are worth. He doesn't care who is making a run either as long as the opposing GM has the assets he wants. Whichever team makes the best offer to make the Petes a better squad in the future is the team he will be listening to.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

With wright they were hoping they could get Gavin McCarthy to commit. And if they did the fronts would be laughing. Unfortunately doesn’t look like he will ever be coming to the ohl but obviously is still eligible.

From the rumours last year it sounded like they wanted a good 06 or 05 d man to help with the blue line for several years- after making calls for bonk, mews, christoforo and akey they transitioned to a proven forward and a d man.

Miedema at the time had 31pts in 36 games with Windsor and was looking very promising. Add in a stud like mccarthy who at the time was projected top 3 rounds of last years draft to go with a boatload of picks it was one hell of a deal.

Still- no 16 year old but they were hoping for 2 high quality 17 year olds with lots of picks.

Now beck isn’t wright level but I’d expect an 07 or 2 decent 17 year olds for him along with picks.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018

The Petes had McTavish (5th overall) and Avon (11th overall) that year. Petes fans had no issue trading a first rounder but they also had the luxury of having two. That made it harder for someone to convince a team that it had to be McTavish. So your point is mute lmao.

Owner Beck went for Jack Van Volson, Justin Dezoete (was a 2nd rd pick) plus two 2nds, a 3rd and a 4th….. haven’t seen many trade proposals where there’s a return similar to that including Martin and I even said less picks would be involved. At least try and get it right when coming to make a snarky post lmao.

Wright is a well known diva who made it well known that he wanted nothing to do with returning to the OHL. Do you think many GMs were real eager to go out and blow their brains out on someone who didn’t want to be there?

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Shane Wright didn’t even fetch a signed 17 year old…..

The reality is the Petes will take whatever the best value trade is. A full sum of its parts. It is not like they are trying to fill specific needs. After last season, they are trying to replenish all areas at every position and picks in many if not all years.

They will make a best effort to acquire the best individual player that can make the most impact. If that is a 16 year old or a 17 year old, it should not matter. Even if the Petes aren’t deep in ‘06s, the ‘06 will help them rebuild, either through the benefit of more mature play or through a trade two seasons from now to continue to build up the assets to support their ‘07 and ‘08 class.

At the end of the day, the Petes aren’t in a position to simply decide to not trade Beck. If there are no viable 16 year olds that the management likes, they won’t simply walk away. They will change focus to the best 17 year olds.

I am not saying they won’t get a 16 year old. I am saying that the ones that other teams make available may not be liked by the Petes management. There are a fair number of bust 1st rounders. Players that don’t make a significant impact. Forcing themselves potentially into one fo those simply because he is 16 isn’t viable. They need to first like the player they are getting.
It was well known that he didn’t want to be in the OHL and well known that he was a diva and he still fetched a 17 year old who was the 4th overall pick the year before who was close to a point per game………

Not exactly the big zinging gotcha you think, but nice try.

Reactions: Section5Petes

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
With wright they were hoping they could get Gavin McCarthy to commit. And if they did the fronts would be laughing. Unfortunately doesn’t look like he will ever be coming to the ohl but obviously is still eligible.

From the rumours last year it sounded like they wanted a good 06 or 05 d man to help with the blue line for several years- after making calls for bonk, mews, christoforo and akey they transitioned to a proven forward and a d man.

Miedema at the time had 31pts in 36 games with Windsor and was looking very promising. Add in a stud like mccarthy who at the time was projected top 3 rounds of last years draft to go with a boatload of picks it was one hell of a deal.

Still- no 16 year old but they were hoping for 2 high quality 17 year olds with lots of picks.

Now beck isn’t wright level but I’d expect an 07 or 2 decent 17 year olds for him along with picks.

With all due respect and fairness, Wright should not have been used to acquire a “potential” player that “may commit” if the stars align. A player like Wright should have garnered guaranteed assets. In some circles that deal would be called bold. In others, it would be called stupid. I fall on the calling it “stupid” side. It is not like NCAA commit players are lining up to play for Kingston. Quite the opposite actually. Only getting one 2nd and one 3rd in that deal where at least if conditionals were included to help share the risk of McCarthy not signing would have made sense. Windsor didn’t have the picks though.

That is NOT the type of deal the Petes would be looking at. I think that Wright deal is an outlier. I don’t think it would be considered a model for a bold move going forward for any team.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It was well known that he didn’t want to be in the OHL and well known that he was a diva and he still fetched a 17 year old who was the 4th overall pick the year before who was close to a point per game………

Not exactly the big zinging gotcha you think, but nice try.

If Beck garners the same sort of return, I hope you are on here defending it as much as that deal….

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
With all due respect and fairness, Wright should not have been used to acquire a “potential” player that “may commit” if the stars align. A player like Wright should have garnered guaranteed assets. In some circles that deal would be called bold. In others, it would be called stupid. I fall on the calling it “stupid” side. It is not like NCAA commit players are lining up to play for Kingston. Quite the opposite actually. Only getting one 2nd and one 3rd in that deal where at least if conditionals were included to help share the risk of McCarthy not signing would have made sense. Windsor didn’t have the picks though.

That is NOT the type of deal the Petes would be looking at. I think that Wright deal is an outlier. I don’t think it would be considered a model for a bold move going forward for any team.
I agree I never thought it was plan a b or even c for the fronts it was completely off the board and right from day 1 I didn’t agree with it.

Was a very high risk but very high reward pick that flunked out. Just like the pieniniemi pick 10th overall. I would’ve much rather had one of those good d men no offence to miedema but our problems this year haven’t been the offence it’s been the defence leading to vaccari having high amounts of good quality scoring chances on him. He can’t save everything.

My point is I don’t see just beck landing a 16 year old stud like how martone was last year. If they do it’ll be some 17 year old that’s good and has a lot more to prove like kieron Walton for instance on sudbury(plus other things to go with him)

If you think about the martone deal it was essentially 2 very high quality players for a very high quality rookie since del bel belluz got sent there as well as del mastro

Reactions: OMG67

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
If Beck garners the same sort of return, I hope you are on here defending it as much as that deal….
Well you’ve used it as a measuring stick in multiple ways. One to support your opinion against Beck getting a decent return and you’ve also said the deal should be seen as an outlier so what is it?

Do you not think his attitude issues and his openness about not wanting come back to the OHL had no impact on his value at the deadline?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Well you’ve used it as a measuring stick in multiple ways. One to support your opinion against Beck getting a decent return and you’ve also said the deal should be seen as an outlier so what is it?

Do you not think his attitude issues and his openness about not wanting come back to the OHL had no impact on his value at the deadline?
Section7fan are you a habs fan by chance? Because they seem to hate wright because they think he stared down their table lol.

I don’t get what your deal with wright is. Clearly you’ve never seen the guy in person or know much more other than a few videos around the time he got drafted.

Kid is very mature, a class act and everyone who’s ever been his teammate has nothing but praise for him. Not sure why you’re continuously bringing up stuff that isn’t even true lol. If he had an attitude problem or any problems I don’t think he would’ve been repping the C for team Canada after all the issues that came out last year about the 2018 or 19 team.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

You are looking at this too closely. You need to step back a few feet and look at the big picture.

First, I made a mistake. For some reason I thought Miedema was one year older. That is on me. But, Wright was arguably the most impactful player available last year. Personally, you and I are on the same page in that respect. I didn’t think he would be as impactful as he ended up being (2 points per game). I thought, like you, that he didn’t want to be here and that would affect his production negatively.

That said, in a league full of teams looking to get much better, the return should not have included a potential unsigned player. You’d think with a players like DelBelBelluz and DelMaestro, that Wright would have gone for more. I would argue that Mintyukov for none picks was a heavier package than the wright package even though it involved no bodies.

When you look at that Wright deal, if Miedema was to be used, the picks package should have been heavier. That draft was a crap shoot Covid draft. Loads of busts in the first couple rounds. Draft position was meaningless for the most part. By the deadline last year, that was very evident.

With respect to my comment that you replied to, I was talking more about the average 17 year old and picks being the more likely return. Would you support that return as much as you‘ve suggested it 100% needs to be a 16 year old? I’m not talking about the unsigned player being added in place of added draft picks. That particular twist was the outlier. I cannot see a situation where Beck returns a 17 year old, a handful of mildly ok picks and an unsigned player with considerable upside.

As @frontsfan67 suggested, what if the deal for Beck and Mayer is Walton, Toure and a basket of good picks? Is that a deal you would support in the same manner as the Wright deal? That is more the question.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Section7fan are you a habs fan by chance? Because they seem to hate wright because they think he stared down their table lol.

I don’t get what your deal with wright is. Clearly you’ve never seen the guy in person or know much more other than a few videos around the time he got drafted.

Kid is very mature, a class act and everyone who’s ever been his teammate has nothing but praise for him. Not sure why you’re continuously bringing up stuff that isn’t even true lol. If he had an attitude problem or any problems I don’t think he would’ve been repping the C for team Canada after all the issues that came out last year about the 2018 or 19 team.

I don’t want to speak for @Section7fan but I share much of his skepticism. Clearly he was upset with his draft position. Clearly he was upset he wasn’t performing to expectations with Seattle and clearly the AHL was a better development league for him at his stage of development. Coming back to Junior was almost a waste of his time. How he would approach it was something that was an honest question. When it comes to tossing a ton of assets to acquire him, that is a question that really needed to be answered. We as fans don’t have the luxury of that conversation prior to trade. So, we are in speculation mode.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018

LOL. I can’t stand the habs. I thought the state down was hilarious. I don’t have the Kingston bias you do.

His attitude issues were on full display in the media. His arrogance was palpable in many videos. I believe it lead to him falling as far has he did in the draft.

For the reason stated by OMG67 and myself, it’s really understandable why they got a lower return for a a star player.

Hats off to the kid for showing up in Windsor ready to play.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
LOL. I can’t stand the habs. I thought the state down was hilarious. I don’t have the Kingston bias you do.

His attitude issues were on full display in the media. His arrogance was palpable in many videos. I believe it lead to him falling as far has he did in the draft.

For the reason stated by OMG67 and myself, it’s really understandable why they got a lower return for a a star player.

Hats off to the kid for showing up in Windsor ready to play.

It really is unfortunate he wasn’t 100%. I would like to have seen a fully committed and healthy Wright in the playoffs. Hats off from my perspective as well.

Reactions: DeletedAccountt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad