Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Season Thread (Part Two)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
6 point night for Beck. Still wondering how petes could only manage 3 picks in that deal
either the Petes were pretty high on Aiden Young or Beck handcuffed the Petes by only accepting Saginaw and Drinkill was able to leverage that to use more picks on Jorian Donovan. We were definitely all hoping/expecting more picks when we were hearing it would be 5-6 picks but is what it is. realistically only would have been an extra third or two but it all adds up

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
either the Petes were pretty high on Aiden Young or Beck handcuffed the Petes by only accepting Saginaw and Drinkill was able to leverage that to use more picks on Jorian Donovan. We were definitely all hoping/expecting more picks when we were hearing it would be 5-6 picks but is what it is. realistically only would have been an extra third or two but it all adds up
Gonna guess it was Beck only wanted to go there. But ya those extra couple picks might of been the difference between them getting Haley and not a 06 like Bedkowski or Topp

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Shocking how Missy only got 4!

You rented him for a year and essentially paid Dezote and a 4th…. RELAX!
2 players tho. Think they expected a lot more from Dezoete

Not mad just thought the return would be more for the best player on the market

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
2 players tho. Think they expected a lot more from Dezoete

Not mad just thought the return would be more for the best player on the market

You traded a first, two 2nds, a 3rd, a 4th and Dezote (who was just traded for a 10th).

You received a first, two 2nds and a 3rd.

Your net cost is Dezote (10th) and a 4th. Plus whatever the resulting difference is between Young and JVV. But, JVV is sitting in a rough spot in Missy right now. 15 points and a -9 on a team with players in the +20s….. You may have dodged a bullet!

You are essentially arguing that Beck is worth more as a 19 year old than a 18 year old…

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013

He was only going to Saginaw. There were better offers out there

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
He was only going to Saginaw. There were better offers out there
Worked out pretty well for the Petes in being able to load up 2007's. Who realistically was offering more for Beck?

SSM? - okay but they weren't going to trade Martin anyway.
Sudbury? - Petes got Taylor anyway.
Ottawa? - Don't have an 07 to trade.

I don't really see how it could have broken much better for Oke, even if people want to nit-pit over a draft pick here or there.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
Worked out pretty well for the Petes in being able to load up 2007's. Who realistically was offering more for Beck?

SSM? - okay but they weren't going to trade Martin anyway.
Sudbury? - Petes got Taylor anyway.
Ottawa? - Don't have an 07 to trade.

I don't really see how it could have broken much better for Oke, even if people want to nit-pit over a draft pick here or there.
Not criticizing Oke at all, I fully agree that he did well. There were better offers out there from multiple teams but Beck chose his destination. Oke still got good value

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Oke did a great job. I'm going to head up to the game tonight. Any place to eat close to the rink that a fronts fan won't get made fun of?

Reactions: Section5Petes

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Oke did a great job. I'm going to head up to the game tonight. Any place to eat close to the rink that a fronts fan won't get made fun of?
You're safe anywhere as a Fronts fan but there's nowhere great super close. Riley's on George Street is close enough and has ok pub food, or there are lots of great places a little farther from the rink but still downtown - Mcthirsty's, St Veronus, Publican House, Ashburnham Ale House are some of my favourites. Or Lansdowne Street has all the usual chains but they're mostly west of the arena so you'll be going past it and back tracking.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Can't wait for tonight's game. Can't be worse than the 9-1 loss in Kingston over the holidays right (I was there too, thank god for KBC, Red House and The Merchant helping me drown sorrows/save the night lol).

Reading between the lines/scouting report on the new guys, is this mostly right?

Addy: Big body, good shot, like a lot of young players in that mold needs some work on his first step and using his size better but long term big power forward upside. Someone suggested he's in the Cam Butler mold and that would be a key piece in the top 6 (but maybe not the focal point of the offense) when this team is competitive again.

Young: Good skater, good vision, high compete level, great hockey smarts - I'm assuming the fact that he has all these attributes and wasn't a higher pick/higher regarded means his physical traits are lagging behind a bit (size, shot, etc) but sounds like he'll find a way to make an impact down the road either way.

Taylor: The potential star of the group with all the tools - size, shot, vision, smarts - and the highest upside but inconsistent effort and lacking a bit in skating/defensive abilities.

Strohack: Two way player, tough physical defender and willing fighter, sounds like he has some pretty legitimate transition game/skating abilities as well, not an offensive guy at this point but likely some potential for that down the road as well.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
I'll take that kind of effort every night the rest of the year! Some quick takeaways...

Matijecek is... really good? He felt like a throw in/afterthought in the trade that brought Addy but he was playing top minutes tonight and did really well at both ends of the ice IMO. Good size, solid in his own end, not afraid to jump up in the rush. A lot of the focus is the looooong term but he's going to help this team stay in games the next couple years.

Taylor - upside is very obvious. Jumps on the top line and gets a goal right away. There were times where it seemed like he was a bit out of sync with his linemates but the offensive skill is apparent.

Addy - goes to the net and gets a goal. Feels like this is probably his game for the time being but the teams needs it and his development will be fun to watch.

Young - gets an assist in his first game, definitely seemed more like a playmaker type in this game but seemed willing to go to the tough spaces, not just a perimeter player.

Haley - minor deal but he's an upgrade on Woulds/Velliaris in the near term. Showed well tonight and got lots of opportunities. He raises the floor of the back end.

This was a young, young lineup and you can already see so much potential. I thought Ladds and Cadorin showed well tonight as well - the Cadorin/Lefebvre/Page line was arguably the Petes best. It's a shame Strohack wasn't able to play tonight.

Stockpiling 16 year olds is a great strategy, has a team ever had 4 first round picks on the roster in their rookie year before? And IMO, at least one of them is a surefire OHL star, watching six of them dress tonight, you can really see where they are in their development and you can see who stands out. It is of course Carson Cameron, he is so good for his age and experience and I love that they've brought in a bunch of other standouts from his cohort. Good things ahead for this group.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
That was a really exciting game! the young guns came to play and i’m here for it. Taylor with a goal and he already looks so good playing top line minutes. Addy and Young work quite well together and connected on a nice hockey goal. Young is very cerebral and has skills for days. Addy is a great power forward and threw some nice hits tonight and used his size to his advantage. That first powerplay unit of Carson Cameron, Aiden Young, Caden Taylor, Jonathan Melee and Braydon McCallum was very exciting to watch. There was one chance where Cameron passed it over to Taylor and Caden fired a bullet tape to tape across the ice to Young and I thought Young scored short side but it grazed off the side of the net. What a snipe by Carson Cameron and what a steal he is looking like at 13th overall! the future is now and i can’t wait to continue watching these guys saturday against the Gens!

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Who's our choice to win the East....

McCoy's Wolves
Mayer's 67s
Dubois' Fronts
Lockhart's Generals
Lardis' Bulldogs
JVV's Steelheads
or the Battalion
I'll say we see a Wolves/67s final. I think both teams were very solid to start with. I don't think there's a runaway team this year (last year's Petes were on paper a runaway winner but damn it took them a long time to show it on the ice lol).

Ottawa and Sudbury are probably the two best built teams imo and if you were adding a player from the Petes, you wanted Owen Beck... but him aside, McCoy was probably the biggest playoff add just because he's so good defensively. Putting him on that Sudbury roster makes a huge difference, I hope their fans appreciate him.

I love Mayer for his two way game. I worry a little bit he won't be turned loose in Ottawa just because they have a very solid overall D core. I think Mayer is at his best when he is THE MAN. Turn him loose and let him lead the offense up the ice and know he'll find his way back. That said, I'm sure the 67s have seen him enough (too much in their eyes lol?) and will play to his strengths.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Great comeback effort last night. I think we'll see some more of this, let's say, not pretty hockey. But they showed heart and work ethic and that's a great thing. I'm looking forward to seeing this young group grow together and turn into a force.

Also, poor Rye. Come into the game and immediately face a shorthanded 3 on 0. Uggh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad