Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Season Thread (Part Two)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL Observer

May 20, 2023
I’m a Generals fan, but I completely agree with how cringeworthy it is to condemn Velliaris for pummeling Cal Ritchie.

There’s an old expression that says if you don’t want none, don’t start none.

Ritchie tried to rough things up with Velliaris so it shouldn’t be shocking that Velliaris decided to drop his gloves.

While I didn’t enjoy seeing Ritchie absorb a half dozen punches to his head without realizing he need to drop his stick and gloves to engage and protect himself, I certainly didn’t think it warranted a four game suspension.

Next thing you know, someone is going to be urging police to press battery charges against Velliaris.
I agree 4 games is steep. Must be something about 4 game suspensions between Oshawa and Petes. Pagé got a 4 game suspension at start of season for doing a lot less!

First time in a while I will be missing a game but hopefully Addy lights it up!!:laugh::laugh: Good to see Smith and McCue and it looks like they are fitting in quite well with the Attack! Should be a good one and I hope the Attack Pak enjoys one of the oldest and most historic arenas in all of North America! Hope you all enjoy the game and safet travels!

10 time J Ross Robertson Cup Champions!
I guess Petes updates will be quiet on Twitter then eh!

• Haha
Reactions: Section5Petes

OHL Observer

May 20, 2023
I can understand the coaches trying to get these young guys experience but putting a 16 year old on each line weakens every line. We are short handed every shift. I believe the Petes need to get back to coaching like they usually do put together 2 solid lines and have the young guys rotate amongst bottom 6. Otherwise it’s a loss every game rest of year. There’s a process for a reason now we’re potentially ruining a lot of young future players.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
I can understand the coaches trying to get these young guys experience but putting a 16 year old on each line weakens every line. We are short handed every shift. I believe the Petes need to get back to coaching like they usually do put together 2 solid lines and have the young guys rotate amongst bottom 6. Otherwise it’s a loss every game rest of year. There’s a process for a reason now we’re potentially ruining a lot of young future players.
What 6 players would you put on the first and second line?

In the last two minutes with the goalie pulled, the Petes lost every faceoff in the offensive end.That is not a criticism but an observation. It will be a long and trying 2nd half of the season.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
I’m sorry but that makes absolutely no sense. These guys have been on contending teams and haven’t m seen much ice time and you want to continue that trend and further slow their development?

There’s not going to be many wins going forward. Rebuilding years aren’t near as fun as contending ones.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Not sure if that works? Weakens every line. I could see Page, Lefebvre and McCallum being a line while Melee, Perdeller and McIntyre be another line. Giving guys like Partridge , Faulkner and Binnie time rotating the young guys in. Lefebvre and Page scored all of the Petes goals this week and were both on for every goal the Petes scored. I would say if there’s chemistry there coaches will leverage that.

I suggested from the start they'd be spread out. @OHL Observer is consistent in not liking it but I still disagree with him.

Young guys need to play and they're collectively not strong enough (physically) to play together so we're going to see some combinations with them and veterans. I like how all the new/young guys (including Ladds and Cadorin) have performed but the whole lot of the 2007-born class desperately need to hit the gym this offseason.

The skill is there but they all need to get way stronger. Some of it should happen naturally with age.

I really liked what I saw from Strohack. He makes a great first pass out of the D zone. Obviously has good instincts. How was a guy who plays like this at 17 available at the deadline? Will look even better when Cameron is back in the lineup and pushes everyone down a spot in terms of D responsibility.

I thought Woulds played one of his best (maybe his best) games as a Pete tonight.

Last edited:

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

Agree 100% with what you’re saying. Majority of 16yr olds just aren’t physically ready to handle big minutes and pressure situations of being a top six forward or top four defenceman.

Oshawa makes the same asinine mistake of forcing Owen Griffin onto the second line and it renders two of their best players essentially shorthanded.

When you’re watching the game tonight keep an eye on #96 and watch how easily he gets bodied off the puck.

Meanwhile, another 16yr old - - Tristian Delisle #40, has played infinitely better than Griffin but he’s locked into the 3rd and 4th lines.

Stupid decision making by the brain trust to force feed top minutes to rookies. Put them in the bottom six and make them earn their minutes instead of trying to make your top draft pick or big trade acquisition look like a 16yr old superstar.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
You guys played hard. Owen Sound a veteran team struggling and they knew they had to win this game. Mccallum gives it all, every shift

OHL Observer

May 20, 2023
You guys played hard. Owen Sound a veteran team struggling and they knew they had to win this game. Mccallum gives it all, every shift
I think they all give their all every shift. If they didn’t Wilson wouldn’t have them in line up. And yes a veteran line up vs multiple 16 year olds. I hope the boys don’t let the struggle put them down. I’m sure in a couple seasons the Petes will be exciting to watch. But I feel bad to see such young fragile players struggling so much. I also feel bad to see the older players that stayed with this team have to “baby sit” every shift. I think those players deserve to continue with their development playing with players of their own caliber. It’s ok to throw the young players in the mix from time to time but it’s tough to watch the struggle. I still look forward seeing the development. Today’s another day. Let’s hope each game gets better.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Last night was my first game back since Dec 7th.

I was expecting much worse than I saw -the lads battle and that’s impressive.

They all have heart which I believe is essential and no quit (real Petes).

It’s going to be awful -no doubt -but I don’t think it’s going to be as awful as anticipated.

Was also impressed with the defensive commitment from Haley. He seemed single minded in clearing his ice !

OHL Observer

May 20, 2023
From the Examiner: "The Petes continue to deal with illness going through the team, with Carson Cameron and Brody Partridge sidelined"
I Heard last night that some of the players weren’t 100% either. Sickness going through the team. Too bad. It’s a tough time for that to happen! Hope they are all feeling better soon!

Reactions: Section5Petes

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Generals have completely dominated the 1sr period but things are getting chippy and turning into a typical Oshawa vs Peterborough game.

No idea where this goalie Rye came from but he’s God-awful.

OHL Observer

May 20, 2023
Generals have completely dominated the 1sr period but things are getting chippy and turning into a typical Oshawa vs Peterborough game.

No idea where this goalie Rye came from but he’s God-awful.
He’s a young goalie with his second start in the league tonight. This whole team is extremely young. The youngest team in the CHL this year I believe. No goals in 3rd period shows progress. I’m not giving up on these guys because they decided to go this young because I believe it will pay off again in a couple seasons. I do feel bad for the guys that stayed from last years championship team. Pretty good chance if they don’t age out in off season they’ll be looking to go to another contender instead of babysitting for another season. And McCallum is such a double edge sword. Has potential but decides to take repeated senseless penalties. I blame coaches on that because he’s never been disciplined for it. Next time he takes penalties like that play him on 4th line. Let him realize he’s been given more than most players his age get.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
This was a total domination from start to finish. Oshawa let up noticeably in the last period but Peterborough still only managed three shots in the 3rd.

Understandable from a team with so many 06 and 07 players. The big question is how many of them will take a step forward in the next year or two and become contributors.

I’m seriously doubting if Peterborough can hang onto a playoff spot this year.

As for McCallum, he’s really undersized but I like how he plays with an edge. Just before he scored tonight, he got absolutely crushed in the corner then got up at went straight to the front of the net. He had a couple of careless penalties but his tenacity is something you can’t teach.

Reactions: Petesfan8

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
This was a total domination from start to finish. Oshawa let up noticeably in the last period but Peterborough still only managed three shots in the 3rd.

Understandable from a team with so many 06 and 07 players. The big question is how many of them will take a step forward in the next year or two and become contributors.

I’m seriously doubting if Peterborough can hang onto a playoff spot this year.

As for McCallum, he’s really undersized but I like how he plays with an edge. Just before he scored tonight, he got absolutely crushed in the corner then got up at went straight to the front of the net. He had a couple of careless penalties but his tenacity is something you can’t teach.
Figures it would be Oshawa fans who feel the need to come on here twice in one night to say they dominated a sick team that is by far the youngest in the CHL.

This is a team that was completely gutted and hasn’t been together a month and you’re suddenly questioning if anyone will be any good?

Nobody here thinks or really wants this team to make the playoffs. Makes zero sense to make the playoffs.

Take the trolling back to the Oshawa thread.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
I just want to shout out to Sam McCue and the Big Rig.

After the game was over and the players celebrating on the ice was done- Smith skated over to the Petes bench and hugged Larry and said a few words to him- so did McCue.

You couldn’t have any classier kids - pure class -total Champions on and off the ice.

Good lads

Last edited:

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Disciplinary Action: Peterborough's Joseph Cadorin has been suspended for four games as a result of actions on Jan. 19th at Oshawa.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
4 games for that is ridiculous Such a soft league anymore

I can’t believe Cadorin got four games.

That “fight” was directly in front of our section and the only thing Cadorin was doing was punching Delisle in the back of his helmet. They weren’t ever roundhouse swings - - just a flurry of light rabbit punches.

At the end of it, Cadorin appeared to attempt some sort of wrestling maneuver and slam Delisle into the ice, so that may have been what led to the suspension.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
I can’t believe Cadorin got four games.

That “fight” was directly in front of our section and the only thing Cadorin was doing was punching Delisle in the back of his helmet. They weren’t ever roundhouse swings - - just a flurry of light rabbit punches.

At the end of it, Cadorin appeared to attempt some sort of wrestling maneuver and slam Delisle into the ice, so that may have been what led to the suspension.

He was just trying to break the turtle shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad